Spartans Home

Greatest battles of all times

What?! The battle of Vienna 1683 where a heroic Jan Sobieski saved the world as we now know it thats a "greatest battles of all time" battle.......you cant compare that with a diversionary battle like Khe Sang...

Edited by EL_n00biachi

Waterloo

Blenheim (Winston Churchill wrote that this battle won by the English and led by John Churchill was more significant for Europe than winning WWII)

Heyhey stop watching the history channel,it wasnt won by the "English"...it was won by the allies,mainly English and Dutch.....just like Waterloo where the Prince of Orange saved the English from dissaster.

Oh i forgot to say fairly modern greatest battles. Not to shabby 204 marines and more then 15,000 nva died. Hell of a kill ratio huh?

I gess you all dident see that.

24,000 sortie air strikes called in

103 thousand tons of bombs dropped at khe sanh

in addition of 100,000 artiliary rounds fired, The north viet army couldent even retreat it was so hot from air strikes and arty.

There was 40,000 nva troops in the bushes and 20,000 deserted.

Over 15,000 NVA died in that little deverson.

Edited by Athlon64~SPARTA~

My nrs are 5500dead NVA and on the allies 1000kia still a remarkable ratio,eventually Khe sanh was abandoned and over half of all US forces were moved to first corps....just to defend Khe Sanh\Ca Lu.

Yes it was a heroic defense by the allies,but it left the rest of Vietnam open for the Tet offensive and the eventual collapse of the Republic of Vietnam.

Heyhey stop watching the history channel,it wasnt won by the "English"...it was won by the allies,mainly English and Dutch.....just like Waterloo where the Prince of Orange saved the English from dissaster.

A French view of the reasons for Napoleon's defeat

General Baron Jomini, one of the leading military writers on the Napoleonic art of war had a number of very cogent explanations of the reasons behind Napoleon's defeat at Waterloo.

In my opinion, four principal causes led to this disaster:

-The first, and most influential, was the arrival, skilfully combined, of Blücher, and the false movement that favoured this arrival;

- the second, was the admirable firmness of the British infantry, joined to the sang-froid and aplomb of its chiefs;

-the third, was the horrible weather, that had softened the ground, and rendered the offensive movements so toilsome, and retarded till one o'clock the attack that should have been made in the morning;

-the fourth, was the inconceivable formation of the first corps, in masses very much too deep for the first grand attack.

My bad,the first part "Heyhey stop watching the history channel,it wasnt won by the "English"...it was won by the allies,mainly English and Dutch....." was in response of his "English" victory at Blenheim....and the 2nd one was in response of Waterloo.

Ill take your Baron jomini and raise you a Napoleone ""But for the heroic determination of the Prince of Orange, who with a handful of men dared to stand firm at Quatre Bras I would have taken the English army in flagrante delicto and would have conquered as (the Russians) at Friedland."

Heres a nice read.

http://napoleonistyka.atspace.com/Waterloo_Cowards.html#_Netherlands_troops_at_Quatre_Bras

LOl, I read somewhere that Napoleon had taken to rewriting history toward the end.

But as I was reading up on this stuff I came across the Brusilov offensive of 1916. Some consider that it was the most lethal engagement in history with as many as 2,700,000 casualties, furthermore some believe that it led to the fall of 3 empires.

Going back to Waterloo and regardless of the who contributed what to Napoleon's defeat, it was one battle that did bring peace in an era convulsed by war, so it certainly deserves to be recalled as one of the greatest battles of all time. Having said that my victory against the Takistan militia at Rasman in 2009 ranks quite high IMHO, lol.

I will retort in a little while when I have checked some info,

1. From a couple of books that I picked up after visiting Blenhiem palace

2. From a Neighbour regarding Waterloo

LOl, I read somewhere that Napoleon had taken to rewriting history toward the end.

Something the English would never do! the English were the masters of making themselves look good....i mean.....

There are of course multiple sources for the strength and composition of the allied army. From these we can deduce that it counted 66 battalions, 181 squadrons and 66 guns2 or 51,000 men3.

With the right wing under the command of Eugen were: 11 Prussian Battalions, 7 Danish battalions and 74 squadrons of Imperial, Prussian, Swabian, Franconian, Würtemberg and other Imperial cavalry.

With the left wing under command of Marlborough were: 14 battalions and 18 squadrons of the United Provinces; 14 battalions and 14 squadrons from England; 7 battalions and 7 squadrons from Hesse; 25 squadrons from Hannover, Luneburg, Zell and Swiss; 22 Danish squadrons

Clearly this historical battle is a battle won by the English.

Something the English would never do! the English were the masters of making themselves look good....i mean.....

Everyone can be accused of being guilty of presenting themselves in the best light, from individuals to nations. That is why In addressing your statement I presented a french historians perspective, not one from Britain (nor England). You chose an example of Dutch success, presenting the Netherlands in the best light.

I am not a historian, your points have provoked me to research some elements further, but I do not have the attachment to this subject that you clearly have. If I add anything further it would be a result of my googling abilities, not worthy of your more profound knowledge.

Everyone can be accused of being guilty of presenting themselves in the best light, from individuals to nations. That is why In addressing your statement I presented a french historians perspective, not one from Britain (nor England). You chose an example of Dutch success, presenting the Netherlands in the best light.

I am not a historian, your points have provoked me to research some elements further, but I do not have the attachment to this subject that you clearly have. If I add anything further it would be a result of my googling abilities, not worthy of your more profound knowledge.

DAAAAAAMN Noob I think you just got told

Not really, i never presented the Dutch in the best light,only pointed out that those 2 battles were a success because of the "allies" using the Dutch as an example and not England only...which seems to be normal because of stupid tv channels such as the so called History channel for example.

I only pointed out the fact that Wellington fudged up at Waterloo and the Prince of Orange saved his ass by ignoring Wellington's stupidity........and that at Blenheim there were far more non English involved one could never call such a battle an English victory.

Other than that yes my knowledge apparently is more profound.....or the general public's knowledge about history is lacking....im pretty sure its the latter...understanding the failure of history classes at school.

:thanks1:

Unforchunately I do not recall being taught about either of those 2 battles and I am unlikely to ever get a chance to visit the areas that they took place in my lifetime.

I would add to this list to battle fields that I have had the good forchune to tour.

The Battle of New Orleans (War of 1812)

and

The Battle of Vicksburg (American Civil War)