Spartans Home

Sparta - Carrier Domination

Zeno~SPARTA~

Kavlarakos has developed a beta of a variation to Xenos carrier domination. It has replaced the Air Dom server in the UK.

There are no mods required.

There are 3 carriers, one with troops and vehicles, one with transport and attack helicopters, and another with jets. You can transport from one to the other from flag poles located at the rear of each control tower.

There are bugs to worked out, but this should get you going for some fun.

feel free to note any problems here.

Here is a list of things I have changed and added.

There are now as Zeno mentioned 3 carriers:

1st carrier with jets

2nd carrier with choppers

3rd carrier with vehicles

Assets:

Jets:

- 2 Harriers (LGB)

- 2 Harriers (CAS)

- 2 F35s

Choppers:

- 2 Super Cobras

- 2 Apaches

- 2 Hueys

- 1 Ospreys (will change that into 2)

- 3 Lift Choppers (willchange that into 2)

- 1 Wreck chopper

Vehicles

- All kind of support trucks

- All kind of Hummers

Features:

- Steam Catapult Deck launch

- Arrester Hook for Landings

- A boat Launcher from the side of the LHD (needs some fixes though)

- Teleporter from each carrier to another

- Tractors to attach jets (want to add attaching choppers aswell)

As this is a very early version of the mission I need to know what has to be fixed

I will fix some of issues we had today with the first test we made before. But for sure we will encounter a few more.

I hope you will enjoy and I would be glad to get some feedback.

Here is a list of things I have changed and added.

There are now as Zeno mentioned 3 carriers:

1st carrier with jets

2nd carrier with choppers

3rd carrier with vehicles

Assets:

Jets:

- 2 Harriers (LGB)

- 2 Harriers (CAS)

- 2 F35s

Choppers:

- 2 Super Cobras

- 2 Apaches

- 2 Hueys

- 1 Ospreys (will change that into 2)

- 3 Lift Choppers (willchange that into 2)

- 1 Wreck chopper

Vehicles

- All kind of support trucks

- All kind of Hummers

Features:

- Steam Catapult Deck launch

- Arrester Hook for Landings

- A boat Launcher from the side of the LHD (needs some fixes though)

- Teleporter from each carrier to another

- Tractors to attach jets (want to add attaching choppers aswell)

As this is a very early version of the mission I need to know what has to be fixed

I will fix some of issues we had today with the first test we made before. But for sure we will encounter a few more.

I hope you will enjoy and I would be glad to get some feedback.

I will give it a go tonight

I gave it a few rounds until my internet decided to start crapping out every 3 minutes. Few things I noticed, perhaps already fixed, perhaps done on purpose.

1.) Bonus vehicles earned from side mission still spawn at the main airfield. I realize that there is limited space on these carriers, but with no way to teleport to the airfield (that I could find), perhaps a different solution or award is needed.

2.) The ammo box on the carrier where you spawn in only has two AA SMAW rounds and two DP SMAW rounds. The other two carrier's ammo box has 20 AA SMAW rounds.

3.) Teleporting from carrier to carrier puts you inside the AAVP. I'm sure this wasn't done on accident, but what happens if that vehicle is moved?

4.) Boat launcher. I see you already acknowledged some fixes are in order for this. The issue I had was when I moved down to that deck, I slid right off the catwalk and into the water. Caused significant damage to my player and could not find a way to get back onto the carrier from in the water.

5.) Was not able to save my gear layout at the ammo box. Not sure if it was a client side issue, but I had a few different bugs after dying. One time I was not able to put a weapon in the backpack after dying. One time I respawned with only a 1911, while another time it showed I had respawned with my previous kit, but when I tried to pull out a weapon and/or shoot, it switched to the default M4A1.

6.) When the MHQ's are sitting on the deck of the carrier, the respawn menu states that they are "in the water" and does not allow you to spawn to them.

Thats all I can recall from memory the issues I encountered. With all that said, still very nice work, Kav. I enjoyed the carriers a lot and hope this gets popular. Deck launching in the AV-8B was pretty intense. Didn't get a chance to attempt a landing as my internet crashed out mid-flight. Rather disappointing.

As always, I extend my offer to be a guinea pig to any future editions and/or features. If I happen to be on TS, just give me a holler. Or shoot me a message on here.

- JHunter

In addition to Jhunter's comments, I found the flag toward the stern of the carriers was glitched partly into the viewing deck above the main deck. Did you also mean to provide two flags per carrier? Only one of the flags, the aft-most, was active for jumping to different carriers.

Also, not so much a glitch as a layout issue, I don't know about the full division on each carrier. It seems odd to have one with vehicles only. How about instead, if you want to keep the vehicles isolated, providing the lift helos on the same carrier.

Big fan of the deck launch, short of the 15-s blackout immediately following takeoff!

As I said there are many issues to be dealt with and I also have fixed some of them. But some of these issues are also in the vanilla version of carrier dom like for instance the mhq problem, which appears to be not reachable after respawning while mhq is on the carrier. Another thing is that bonus vehicles will respawn on the main airport wherever I place the marker.

But some of the other issues will be solved in the next version of air dom. But you guys know the drill. We cant solve it all at once. It goes one by one. Give us some time and we will make it a nice and enjoyable modification.

But anyways dont hesitate to let us know what is wrong and what could be done better. We all can benefit from your experiences and it is like it is unfoertunately that good things need their time to grow. So with little patience we maybe can do all together, and this includes you, something really good.

As I said production without feedback is worthless but just give us the time to improve ourselves as we are not really professionals but only big fans...

Cheers

Love it Kaz.

We need to get this involved on a Tac night.

Couldnt find any means of rearming the choppers tho. the chopper service just refueld me n the ammo trucks didnt seam to do anything.

Love it tho..............

Took me a minute to figure out the rearm thing too, Cent. You can activate the rearm sequence when looking at the service building and scrolling the mouse wheel.

- JHunter

I managed to get the chopper service, the jet service and the vehicle service to work on the carrier. So we will get rid of this ingame rearm/refuel/repair station.

I also got rid of the boat launcher as it didn´t work quite properly.

The next version of carrier dom will be tomorrow on the server.

Well, I'm impressed! Did have a nifty glitch where my keyboard was disabled upon spawning once (into game, not respawn).

PS: How do the catapults work? Couldn't figure that one out.

Edited by Tyler~SPARTA~

V1b is on the server now

The previously reported bugs should have been fixed by kav.

Tanks and LAVs have been added to the vehicle carrier.

The Osprey can load and drop ammoboxes and the replacement for chopper 3 can lift tanks (as can choppers 1 and 2, we will fix it so that the second Osprey will also become a lift vehicle). Note the Osprey needs to go to the Jet service on the Jet carrier to be repaired and refueled for now (we will fix this shortly)

The Choppers have been reorganised but are still all on their dedicated carrier.

Ammo boxes now have a lot more ammo and weapons)

Note Do not hover at altitude over the service areas as this will cut your engine with unfortunate consequences. Flying through should be OK as Kav has incorporated a minimum speed before the trigger activates.

Are there any pilots on this map? It's annoying blacking out any time I pull more than 1 G.

There is a pilot class although I think the black out problem only exists in the ACE mod.

Well, I'm impressed! Did have a nifty glitch where my keyboard was disabled upon spawning once (into game, not respawn).

PS: How do the catapults work? Couldn't figure that one out.

Wherever the plane is on the deck, when you select deck launch it will transport to the launch position, it will launch when you hit the accelerator (or possibly within a certain amount of time as well). Make sure flaps etc are in the correct position before selecting this option.

What does enabling and disabling the hook on the Osprey do? Very nice map Kav, I like it a lot so far.

It shouldnt be used but the menu may come up because the Osprey is considered an fixed wing for these purposes. Thats why you have to go to the jet service to refuel it.

Yup works great Kav good job mate.

No bugs this time round but a shame the side miss bonus still go to old base. not realy a prob tho as the aircraft all respawn anyway.

V1d is now on the server

Added 2 A10s with catapult launch ability (4 AV8s, 2 F35s and 2A10s)

"secret base" (well secret to the enemy) on land with a service point (for all vehicles) some extra vehicles and wreck repair.

The Ospreys have markers now (5 and 6) but cannot lift at this time.

Added 2 more Cobras (4 Cobras, 2 Apaches, 2 Hueys) for apocalypse now helicopter assaults,

Aircraft carriers are now defended by 12 AA pods each in case of enemy attack.

4 AAVs have been added for beach assaults

The AAV spawn points for intership teleporting have been moved into hangars on the ships, they cannot be taken from their position.

The 3 lift Choppers have been moved to the vehicle carrier

You can teleport from the mhq back to the carrier.

To Do

Kav and I have a few more ideas we need to implement which will be a surprise, but the main to dos are:

The domination spawned ammo boxes (apart from that of the main carrier) are not working, this will be fixed at some point, but there are plenty of weapons and ammo in the fixed boxes, team leaders can call ammo and the ammo point works for loading ammo boxes into MHQs, MTVRs and Choppers (including the Osprey).

The bonus vehicles will still spawn at the main base but that will be fixed in the next version where they will spawn at the secret base.

We will add static defenses to the secret base.

We need to make the Radio Tower destructible from the air and either remove the camps or make them destructible (plus change the win condition).

That will do for now.

I have tried it today for just a minute :clapping:

It worked with the shortcut from ACE ..cool

THx for the effort il be looking in to this server too ..

if you see somebody fly upside down thats me :finger: (top gun style haha)

Tracers work both ways :exclaim:

• 2 weeks later...

Suggestion that some of the clutter on the carriers be reduced. I've found with making missions that you can improve on some of the performance by reducing number of objects, namely vehicles (especially excessive numbers that are not being used based on number of people playing). I'd base this mission on the "average to peak" number of people joining, maybe a max of 16-20 people. 30+ will be fine if you model the mission this way; but some will more then likely resort to infantry based movements and tactics anyhow. Its also not a bad idea to encourage some sort of infantry or light ground elements in these Domination missions anyhow to achieve objectives.

Another problem is there seems to be performance hits from too many vehicles on carriers as they are not treated like they are on land or solid ground if you will; and the engine doesn't treat objects the same when on top of other objects. Best to reduce number of vehicles on carriers is the point. Not saying you can't do it or its completely bad, but will help with performance.

Consider the following:

-Reduce number of A-10's to 1 on deck (if any at all). Or possibly 1 or 2 hidden at an airport on land in a hangar; this way you can have a proper carrier landing. Could be an unlock-able as well.

-Reduce number of attack helos, 1 of each type. Maybe 2 UH-1Y's. This will make mission more challenging as well.

-Reduce number of MH-60S's to 2 or 3. Chopper 1,2, and possibly 3 (3 isn't really necessary).

-Reduce number of MV-22's to 1 and consolidate use to also be Wreck "Lift".

-Reduce counts of Ground vehicles on deck to 1 of each and move spawning of unlocked and even static vehicles to land location not on deck of Carrier*. (if any, haven't got far enough in mission to see if there's unlocked vehicles and where they spawn)

*Here's an awesome idea, in line with name of Domination, create a beach landing zone in coastal town or elsewhere where when you capture it and the static and unlock-able vehicles will spawn there.

Edited by SirSmokalot

Thanks for your input, but we would rather keep everything and move this concept to sahrani than give up any aircraft.

Unfortunately my co conspirator in these matters (Kavlarakos) will be overwhelmed with work for months so I will plod along with what we have correcting a few more things and then adding a more.We talked about doing a version with modded aircraft (which could include yours).

I just wanted to remind you guys that in about one month Operation Arrowhead is coming out and so it might be a waste of time and energy to start now editing stuff for Arma2. After the release probably nobody is going to play Arma2 anymore but Operation Arrowhead.

So I think it is better to save our energies for OA.