Spartans Home

My new rifle

MedicSN6

Well I got a new rifle today. It is the custom one from CMMG that I ordered, oh I don't know, a year ago.

As far as I can tell they do not offer the WASP barrels in a piston upper for retail sale. So at the moment, this is a one of a kind rifle.

SPECS:

CMMG MOD4 SA lower receiver

CMMG CNC Milled A3 Upper Receiver with engraved rail markings

CMMG K7 Piston Four Rail Free Float tube

CMMG Gas Piston System

CMMG Stainless Steel Piston Bolt Carrier and bolt

CMMG Piston system regulator with top and bottom rails

CMMG W.A.S.P. 16" 1/9 barrel

TAPCO Telescoping stock

Standard A2 'birdcage' flash hider

Standard grip

(Never mind the horrible photography.)

User posted image

User posted image

User posted image

User posted image

FUTURE CUSTOMIZATION:

Magpul MBUS sights

Magpul CTR stock

Mapgul BAD Lever

Magpul MIAD grip

Smith Vortex Flash Hider

Accuwedge

Ambi-Selector

Low-profile rail covers

Flashlight and offset mount (I already have a an Insight M6X light/laser combo I can use for the time being)

And finally, a new Eotech

I haven't made up my mind if I want to keep it all black or do the furniture in Desert Tan. I like the tan idea to break up the look a bit. But I am also a traditionalist and like the "black rifle" look. We'll see what parts are available faster and go from their.

In tan would be the stock, grip, and rail covers. Tan magazines also are an option.

I have already purchased a Magpul ASAP plate and the Magpul MS2 Combat Sling. I just need to install them. I have the sling in tan and it looks great.

IPB Image

IPB Image

The W.A.S.P. coating is the same type of lining that Glock uses to treat their barrels instead of chrome lining. It is said to be just as, if not more, durable than chrome linings, but half as costly.

CMMG Explanation here: http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/1702248/WASPTechSheet.pdf

I will try to keep this updated as I get new stuff to add to it.

Nice one! I say hold off on painting it until the apocolypse, because you never know what enviornment you'll be in at that time! :)

Nice sling, too. To me, that's one of the most important things. I once had an accident where I was swinging my M16 off my shoulder, like I had done a hundred times, only to have it catch and slingshot the front sight point into my forehead, so that's probably why lol.

Question, with the rails like that, is it hard to grip? Does it require a ghetto grip, or can you hold it fine as-is?

Question, with the rails like that, is it hard to grip? Does it require a ghetto grip, or can you hold it fine as-is?

Without firing gloves, I've found the rails to be slightly annoying to grip. With firing gloves, however, I have no issue. I personally prefer to grip the magazine well any how. But I'm only 5'7", so I suppose for taller guys that may not be comfortable.

Just my two cents. =)

- JHunter

i gotta say a foregrip makes it alot easier when fire an m4 then without it and durka that is a fail.

Can't say I like foregrip, either. Just feels kinda awkward. Although our foregrips did have the extendable bipod legs, which proved useful on a few different occasions.

- JHunter

Rail covers are a necessity now days with these railed forearms.

I prefer the low-profile ladder style rails versus the mount on full covers.

IPB Image

As far as fore grips go, I usually run a stubby style but use it as a consistency marker so I can place my hand on the forearm in the same place each time. The I use my thumb to guide along side the rail and barrel in the direction of fire.

Whats more is that on my other rifle, I have an offset mounted flashlight and the thumb/hand position works to activate it as needed without losing grip on the front of the weapon system. I will run a similar system on this new one.

The MS2 sling, while designed to be a single point sling, can convert to a 2 point sling if you have a front 'sling thing' to mount it on. It is also quickly adjustable in length so you can loosen it and sling it to your back or tighten it and transition to your side arm if needed.

As far as bi-pods go, I seriously doubt if this one ever sees one. If I ever build an SPR upper with an 18" 1/7 twist barrel, I will certainly mount one. But this rifle is for kicking the door in and conducting business, not sitting back at 800 yards and waiting for that perfect shot. Two in the chest, one in the head.

And just for those that may have thought about it, no, this is not an airsoft gun.

Edited by Medic~SPARTA~

Looks like that bolt carrier is different then a stock AR. The top part that meets up with the gas tube is one piece to the carrier, and shorter. On the stock carrier its bolted on, and longer, so it can be replaced if needed.

All that needs to be done on that to make into a factory 16 is=

Replace the bolt carrier with a 16 carrier, reuseing bolt

internal 16 trigger parts group

Mill out the top of lower reciever to wide enough to accept the auto sear

drill the auto sear pin hole above the selectior swich, of wicth i know where to get a gigg to locate the hole.

assemble and have fun.

IPB Image regular

IPB Image racthing burst fire

Edited by Athlon64~SPARTA~

Why would I want to go back to Direct impingement? Thats a waste of money and time. Piston is much more reliable. Plus the regulator is adjustable so I can put on a supressor without having to break it down and replace the buffer or having to cycle the weapon each time. Its overall a much better setup to be using.

Nice setup Medic. How is the accruacy with all the new stuff on? is it better?

I am sure it will be. I just got is yesterday afternoon so I haven't shot it yet. I will get some iron sights for it on Moday and will take it out, zero it, and shoot it a bit then.

Once I get the majority of the setup I want, I will let you guys know. Maybe even do a youtube video or something. We'll see.

I am curious to see some of the AR setups that fellow Spartans and community members have. Post your airsoft setups too. Just tell us that it is airsoft. Alot of the furniture and accessories for the airsoft guns are real AR hardware, so they count too.

I fully expect you to zero that thing in 9 rounds Medic. Nine rounds, hear me? :)

ROGER WILCO!

@Zeno That is a nice collection, but well out of my price range. I think everyone should have a variety of firearms.

A 12ga. shotgun

A rifle of some type, preferably magazine fed semi-auto

A handgun or two (one for the bedside and and a concealable one for carry.)

These will serve in general, any purpose you can dream up. It may not be the best weapon on the market, but if you can point it diligently and pull the trigger, you should not fail.

Those that choose to have more are welcome two it. Just keep in mind that normally you can only hold and properly use one at a time.

On a side note, I ordered some more target papers this morning. Mainly the three discretionary targets they have.

http://www.letargets.com/estylez_item.aspx?item=DT-2A

I want to get some of their zombie targets eventually.

http://www.letargets.com/zombies.aspx

Ruger makes one. Its called the SR-22.

But I will tell you that if you are looking to get a new rifle, you should get a real AR-15 then drop in a .22LR conversion kit.

A base rifle with Direct Impin. system and a flat top rail cna go for about $700-900 if you look around. ANd the Conversion kit is about $200.

Or you can find the SR-22 for under $600 and just go plinking for cheap. I bought the conversion kit for mine.

Well ok, you won't ever be able to use a 16 carrier with that design Aftermarket deveation. looks to me like all they did was move the tube backward 1" or so. Might be able to shorten a orginal one to make it work. The outher dissavantage is, if it ever brakes, you have to replace the whole carrier, and you will have to go to them to get one becouse of the difference.

You are locked to a semi forever with that upper. you would have to set them side buy side to see if they are different. I worked on quite a few of these.

The orginal 15/16 is replacible. part#2

User posted image

Edited by Athlon64~SPARTA~

Honestly, The parts to switch it back to a blow-back DI gun are only about $150.00 Bolt, carrier, gas tube, and a gas block. Not that expensive and its all after market with no FFL needed.

There is no gas that goes back to the bolt carrier. The bullet goes down the barrel pushed by the gas which ges through the gas port into the gas piston regulator and then pushes the piston to the rear and hits the bolt carrier strike face, which pushes the bold carrier rearward into the buffer tube housing. It isnt a matter of needing to replace the gas key anymore, because there isn't one.

Edited by Medic~SPARTA~