Spartans Home

Build Me A New System

Elvis~SPARTA~

My video card died, and I've got other issues, so it's probably time to build something new.

I'm not looking for cutting edge, but at the sweet spot in pricing or slightly above.

Case: Want room

Vid card: The BFG died, and the RMA came back damaged, so I'm not thrilled with them at this point.

OK, option one is this, with costco's warranty, and not having to take the time/gain the learning experience of putting together another machine:

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?...p=C&topnav=

Other than that:

i7. 860? or should I jump up a bit for quite a bit more.

Mobo: MSI Eclipse SLI

Graphics: Geforce GTX 275

Drive: HDD or SSD? If SSD Patriot Torx 64GB or stick with the HDD (still have the raptors)

Case recommendations?

I have the Antec 900 and wouldn't mind either the 1200 Hallis case, or a CM product. Assuming I build it myself.

For the specs, I agree on bumping up to the 260.

With that in mind, costco, bless them, has this alienware product for $1500 that has the i7-920, the 260, 6 gigs of DDR3.

The disadvantage is that I don't know what Dell is putting in as far as components. I know the PSU will be enough to power it and maybe another SATA drive and a BluRay I could add, but little margin of error. Actually, I might be able to swap in my current PSU if I upgrade enough.

I know the memory will be fine, but probably won't be Corsair or other high end.

I know its liquid cooled, but I'm going to be using it eventually in a cabin that can drop below freezing when we're not there (anyone know what liquid they use? A little antifreeze in it?) I will miss my lovely copper CPU cooler.

I guess I sit down and price out the individual components and see how it compares.

Add that to the one-year at home warranty for the off the shelf product.

I hate to think it's that I'm becoming lazy.

CASE: Antec 1200 link

PSU: Rosewill xTreme 850 link

MOBO: EVGA 141-BL-E757-TR LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX link

CPU: Intel Core i7-920 Bloomfield 2.66GHz 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor link

CPU fan: COOLER MASTER Intel Core i7 compatible V10 Hybrid TEC link

RAM: 3x Kingston HyperX 2GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 link

HDD: Solid State HDD, at least 80 GB for Windows and core programs. Price range from $130-$200 (Recommended: link)

OPTICAL DRIVE: LITE-ON Black 4X BD-ROM SATA Internal 4X Blu-ray Disc Reader Model iHOS104-08 link

Video Card: Here is where you can be flexible. You can go one of two ways... A. Start with eVGA brand. They are great. Then you need to choose whether you want SLI or not, then go from there. I run an EVGA 9800 GTX+ 1GB card which they dont make anymore. My recommendation is to get a card that will do SLI, and has at least 1 GB of RAM. The RAM will help you in the long run. http://www.evga.com

SOUND CARD: Your choice but most MOBOs come with on board surround sound.

Edited by Medic~SPARTA~

That comes out to about $1450, less the optical drive that I can hold off on for a bit re-using the old ones, comparable to the alienware one with brand components. Plus add Windows 7 home premium to make it near 1650. It does have the SSD, and I can pull my existing drives for plenty of additional storage.

Comments? Criticisms? Suggestions? Now vs. alienware with the warranty and pre-assembled. I think the SSD will rock tho, and the brand components should help, but by how much?

PS Medic, thanks for your taking the extra time.

If you don't like waseting your money, Get this combo and you will be right up there with the big boys, and you will save enough to build the rest of the system, or you can go the outher way and be broke. Theres is better boards as well. do a little looking.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/se...90&csid=_22

Or this one if you want invidia

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Se...&CatId=4297

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Se...&CatId=4297

Edited by Athlon64~SPARTA~

That comes out to about $1450, less the optical drive that I can hold off on for a bit re-using the old ones, comparable to the alienware one with brand components. Plus add Windows 7 home premium to make it near 1650. It does have the SSD, and I can pull my existing drives for plenty of additional storage.

Comments? Criticisms? Suggestions? Now vs. alienware with the warranty and pre-assembled. I think the SSD will rock tho, and the brand components should help, but by how much?

PS Medic, thanks for your taking the extra time.

By all means substitute with different vendors or products. I was giving you a ballpark range of system components.

When it comes to the BR drive, just get a reader for now, still too expensive to make coasters.

Also check in to some of the combo deals, like those Athlon mentioned. But he's and Athlon fan, so I wouldn't take him too seriously ;) Intel has the same types of deals on tigerdirect and newegg. If you can find a deal that is comparable, then you can save some money.

CASE: Antec 1200 link

PSU: Rosewill xTreme 850 link

MOBO: EVGA 141-BL-E757-TR LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX link

CPU: Intel Core i7-920 Bloomfield 2.66GHz 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor link

CPU fan: COOLER MASTER Intel Core i7 compatible V10 Hybrid TEC link

RAM: 3x Kingston HyperX 2GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 link

HDD: Solid State HDD, at least 80 GB for Windows and core programs. Price range from $130-$200 (Recommended: link)

OPTICAL DRIVE: LITE-ON Black 4X BD-ROM SATA Internal 4X Blu-ray Disc Reader Model iHOS104-08 link

Video Card: Here is where you can be flexible. You can go one of two ways... A. Start with eVGA brand. They are great. Then you need to choose whether you want SLI or not, then go from there. I run an EVGA 9800 GTX+ 1GB card which they dont make anymore. My recommendation is to get a card that will do SLI, and has at least 1 GB of RAM. The RAM will help you in the long run. http://www.evga.com

SOUND CARD: Your choice but most MOBOs come with on board surround sound.

I do really like this config in general but the only point I have to desagree is the videocard choice.

Actually, also if you are looking for an Nvidia 260 or possibly 2 of them to go SLI, Newegg is having those cards for about $185 -$200 each. So you go SLI, which is a technology that sometimes fails, exactly like Crossfire. When i say "fails" i mean that occasionally you have incompatibilities with games full supporting the SLI or Crossfire technology.

If you buy 2 of them, you go to about $400 bucks, so my point is:

For that money, why don t you get a fantastic HD 5870 ? First of all is a fully DX 11 card, this you will enjoy in the next few months, second is 1 card only kicking the arse of those 2 260s and not having compatibil;ity issues whatsoever related to SLI or CF configs. Plus it comes with the new Eyefinity ATI system, driving up to 4 monitors on one card for hyper high resolution. If one day you'll decide to run 3 30" monitors for a full immersion game experience, this card does it and does it pretty well, check on youtube for the Eyfinity videos.

And a personal comment about SSDs. Still too much expensive and the performances do not justify them, exept for the fancy thing to have 'em on board.

Think instead a pair of pretty quick HD with some good cache, set them in RAID 0 and here you go, high performances for lower price and way larger storage capacity. To give you an idea of what I am saying look at this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16822136358

The SSD medic is suggesting is 60 GB fro about 200 bucks - Here you have WD 7200 rpm with 32MB cache quick drives, take 4 of these babies and put them all together in RAID 0 and you have 32MB cache *4 and 2 terabytes of high performances for $220 ... ahem.... It's quite self explanatory. However you can also find 10.000 RPM high performances drivers, you get 2 of 'em instead of 4 and you still pay way less than 200 bucks and way more storage than 60 GB.

I am running a config with a I7 920 OC at 3.6, 6 GB ddr3 and 2x HD 4850s CF and I am having great performances. Honestly i would not think a second to get a 5870 if i had 400 bucks to put on the table right now.

Edited by Batwing

Not sure if this helps any or not...but this is what $ 2,500.00 from Alienware gets you.

So far...no issues whatsoever and the performance is excellent

[1] Area-51® X58

Processor: Intel® Core? i7-920 2.66 GHz 8MB Cache

Alienware P2 Chassis: Alienware® P2 Chassis with AlienIce? 3.0 Video Cooling - Space Black

AlienFX®: Alienware® Standard System Lighting - Astral Blue

Alienware P2 Chassis Upgrades: Alienware® Standard System Cooling

Power Supply: Alienware® 750 Watt Multi-GPU Approved Power Supply

Graphics Processor: Single 1,792 MB NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 295

Video Optimizer: AlienAdrenaline v1.0: Video Performance Optimizer - More Info

Memory: 6GB DDR3 SDRAM at 1333MHz - 3 x 2048MB

Motherboard: Alienware® Approved Intel® X-58 Motherboard- Socket 1366 Core i7 Ready, Dual Triple Channel DDR3 Memory

Operating System (Office software not included): Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium (64-bit Edition) with Service Pack 1

System Drive: Single Drive Configuration - 500GB SATA 3Gb/s 7,200RPM 16MB Cache

Additional Storage Drive: Additional Storage Drive - 1TB SATA 3Gb/s 7,200RPM 32MB Cache

Optical Drives : Single Drive Configuration - 20X Dual Layer Burner (DVD±RW) w/ LightScribe

Enthusiast Essentials: Dual High Performance Gigabit Ethernet Ports

Sound Card: High-Definition 7.1 Performance Audio

Keyboard: Standard Keyboard - Standard Keyboard

Mouse: Standard Mouse - Standard Optical 3-Button Mouse with Scroll Wheel

Warranty: 1-Year AlienCare Onsite Service and 24/7 Toll-Free Phone Support

AlienRespawn: AlienRespawn v2.0 Recovery DVD ? Windows Vista® Edition

Removable Storage: Alienware® 28-in-1 Media Card Reader with Bluetooth

Alienware Extras: Alienware® Mesh Cap

Alienware Extras: Alienware® Desktop Binder

Alienware Extras: Owner Identification Card

Alienware Extras: Internal Wire Management

Window Style: Blue Window Style

Mouse Pointers: Standard Mouse Pointers

Wallpaper: Alienhead Logo

Power Plan: Standard Power Plan

Automatic Updates: Automatic Updates On for Critical Updates Only

Time Zones: (GMT - 5.00) Eastern Time (US & Canada)

[1] Gaming Season Bonus; Free Shipping

SubTotal: $2,380.00

Shipping: $100.00

Discount: $100.00

Tax: $166.60

Order Total: $2,546.60

Tell you a little storie about Toms miss information hardware sight. Back when SLI first came out they claimed that any sli card of the same series would work with any outher SLI card of the different mfg. NOPE! they do not, So I had to suffer a return shipping and restocking fee, becouse of good old toms hardware Is full of crap and I woulden't pee on them if they were on fire.

Not sure if this helps any or not...but this is what $ 2,500.00 from Alienware gets you.

So far...no issues whatsoever and the performance is excellent

[1] Area-51® X58

Processor: Intel® Core? i7-920 2.66 GHz 8MB Cache

Alienware P2 Chassis: Alienware® P2 Chassis with AlienIce? 3.0 Video Cooling - Space Black

AlienFX®: Alienware® Standard System Lighting - Astral Blue

Alienware P2 Chassis Upgrades: Alienware® Standard System Cooling

Power Supply: Alienware® 750 Watt Multi-GPU Approved Power Supply

Graphics Processor: Single 1,792 MB NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 295

Video Optimizer: AlienAdrenaline v1.0: Video Performance Optimizer - More Info

Memory: 6GB DDR3 SDRAM at 1333MHz - 3 x 2048MB

Motherboard: Alienware® Approved Intel® X-58 Motherboard- Socket 1366 Core i7 Ready, Dual Triple Channel DDR3 Memory

Operating System (Office software not included): Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium (64-bit Edition) with Service Pack 1

System Drive: Single Drive Configuration - 500GB SATA 3Gb/s 7,200RPM 16MB Cache

Additional Storage Drive: Additional Storage Drive - 1TB SATA 3Gb/s 7,200RPM 32MB Cache

Optical Drives : Single Drive Configuration - 20X Dual Layer Burner (DVD±RW) w/ LightScribe

Enthusiast Essentials: Dual High Performance Gigabit Ethernet Ports

Sound Card: High-Definition 7.1 Performance Audio

Keyboard: Standard Keyboard - Standard Keyboard

Mouse: Standard Mouse - Standard Optical 3-Button Mouse with Scroll Wheel

Warranty: 1-Year AlienCare Onsite Service and 24/7 Toll-Free Phone Support

AlienRespawn: AlienRespawn v2.0 Recovery DVD ? Windows Vista® Edition

Removable Storage: Alienware® 28-in-1 Media Card Reader with Bluetooth

Alienware Extras: Alienware® Mesh Cap

Alienware Extras: Alienware® Desktop Binder

Alienware Extras: Owner Identification Card

Alienware Extras: Internal Wire Management

Window Style: Blue Window Style

Mouse Pointers: Standard Mouse Pointers

Wallpaper: Alienhead Logo

Power Plan: Standard Power Plan

Automatic Updates: Automatic Updates On for Critical Updates Only

Time Zones: (GMT - 5.00) Eastern Time (US & Canada)

[1] Gaming Season Bonus; Free Shipping

SubTotal: $2,380.00

Shipping: $100.00

Discount: $100.00

Tax: $166.60

Order Total: $2,546.60

OMG, I'm stunned by the way people throw money away :(

Tell you a little storie about Toms miss information hardware sight. Back when SLI first came out they claimed that any sli card of the same series would work with any outher SLI card of the different mfg. NOPE! they do not, So I had to suffer a return shipping and restocking fee, becouse of good old toms hardware Is full of crap and I woulden't pee on them if they were on fire.

That's like saying you didn't like an article in the NY Times, so the whole paper is a washout. C'mon b'y, they have more than one author, too.

Hey, it works and its ready to use today

no fuss, no mess, no hassles (lets see if you're saying that while you're trying to get everything to configure properly)

time is money...remember

:P

OMG, I'm stunned by the way people throw money away :(