Spartans Home

ArmA2 & Windows 7

Watchman~SPARTA~

Almost dropped this in the tech section but it's a specific Arma2 problem, so here goes.

Installed Windows 7, went very smoothly and impressed so far. Even managed to get my 8GB of RAM to show up. :D

I installed the game tonight, along with all 3 patches (in order). I had already downloaded and installed the latest drivers for my Radeon 4870.

Went into the game tonight to see if alls well and have the blockiest, no detail gfx I've ever seen. My settings are exactly as previous, either high or normal and no amount of change could rectify the problem.

Has anyone else gone from XP Pro to Win7 and had similar issues or have they all gone smoothly?

Points to note:

When I went to the Radeon site for the drivers although I clicked on Win7 as my OS it always took me to the Vista 64 driver. I'm guessing this is all they have listed at the moment and the key is that they are 64 bit?

When I copied over the VopSound-2.1 mod and my profile folders I put them in the corresponding directories as they were when created on the XP Pro setup. Should they go elsewhere now that I am on Win7

This is the first game I've installed so would like to crack these probs before I put others back on.

Thx for any help / advice.

Watchy

When I copied over the VopSound-2.1 mod and my profile folders I put them in the corresponding directories as they were when created on the XP Pro setup. Should they go elsewhere now that I am on Win7

C:\Users\haloelite52\Documents\ArmA 2

thats where my profile is located

C:\Program Files\Bohemia Interactive\ArmA 2

and thats where all my mods are put im running vista x64 bit and ive run win7 with arma 2 so i dont really know whats happening with that

Ok, I've put the VopSound mod and my profiles in the same places you guys had, so that bit was done right. I've dl'd the drivers from Guru but they look to be the same, Catalyst 9.10.

I.m sure this isn't related but to get my 8gig of RAM to work I had to take my CPU back to stock so instead of running at the 2.59 per core it's now back to 1.86.

I'll google and see if anybody has experience dsimilar. Thx for the comments so far guys.

Using Win7 64 RC maybe we need to get on ts to check settings as me n Hoot got same card. Its the nuts btw.

TS.... yes, that's the next thing. Went on BPR's server tonight to make sure that was working but didn't seem as if it was. Bloody computers!!!

Watchy, this is a known bug with arma2 (and other BIS software apparantly) with 8GB of RAM on x64. I got this too. The solution is to add a -winxp flag to the ARMA2 command line. Hope this helps

Sneaky..

Sneaky, does this assume Win 7 Pro or Ultimate, that have the ability to support XP programs?

I only bought Win 7 Home Premium, which doesn't have the XP support function. I will try this tonight though, ahead of re-installing game, drivers etc.

Thx

The -winxp flag will fix your issue. It sets ARMA2 to only see 4 Gb of ram, ARMA2 is not set up to use anymore. There are some other voodoo fixes, setting Windows to see less ram, etc. I had the same issue running ARMA2 under Vista 64 Ultimate and 8 Gb of ram. The box I had Windows 7 RC on only has 4 Gb so it did not have this issue. The winxp flag will sould fix your issue as well. It is an ARMA2 issue not a windows one per say.

EDIT: on a side note a couple of the ARMA2 Launchers have check boxes that will add the -winxp line (or -maxmem xxxx)and mods automatically. LInebackers ARMA2 Launcher for sure does.

Edited by Whiskey

The -winxp parameter worked, cheers Sneaky. Managed to eventually get into the Dom server and gfx were back to normal.

The base was on fire mind and I did crash out but maybe a server issue??? Was around 18.25 GMT.

I'm gonna grab some food, fix TS then hopefully get on the server and make sure all is ok.

the fire in base is a dom issuse not arma or anything else watchman

Was more worried about the lockup to be honest. I was on my way to the flag and it just froze. I had to ctrl-alt-del to get out of Arma. Will give it a proper go shortly, just skyping the love of my life ;)

Okay, game seems to be stable enough but major problems with TS.

Struggling to get people to hear me and can't get sound through my headset, no matter what settings I use. Will continue to work on this, as using headset mike and desktop speakers is a complete pain in the arse!

• 4 weeks later...
Ok, did the winxp thing, but every time I zoom out/in, turn my head too fast, whatever, the stupid thing crashes or jerks around really bad. What can I do to fix this?

EDIT: This game is uplayable now. I can't seem to get 20min into it without crashing. THat's the limit

I was all pleased about installing 7x64 this weekend. I had my first screen-freeze today, the first of its kind since playing A2 (xp or w7). I've had plenty of BSODs, direct-to-desktops, and black-screen-report-to-microsofts, but not this one.

Somehow my in-game von was working today, another complete curveball, since it was still not working yesterday on w7. The game repeatedly resets my video & audio settings as well.

Some advice I had that might work, still watching and waiting, is starting both TS and Arma2 by selecting 'run as administrator' from the icon right-click menu.

Does win7 fragment bad? I run diskeeper 2010 and haven't had issues in that dept since installation (used dk09 w/xp)

I am using Win 7 Ultimate 64 and i just installed Arma2. everything went nice and smooth.

I have a problem with the CD key, bought an hacked game (unbelievable), anyway single player is working perfect. never crashed.

I am running on an i7 920 @ 3.5 ghz, 2 hd 4850 crossfire and 6 GB ram ddr3.

I had a graphic issue when installed, blocky artifact and bad graphic in game, but that has been solved setting "video memory" on very high on the Video setting - Advanced.

Now is running perfect on qualityy at max level and 1920*1080.

Durka, if you wanna give me more info about what config you have and what video card u use I may help. As you can see I am using ATI, so if you are on Nvidia, maybe i cannot help too much but as a basic suggestion, i can tell you Win 7 is quite picky with video drivers.

Actually ATI drivers are out wiith vers. 9.10 or 11, but i have to stay on 9.8 for some reason. Any other most recent driver gives me very bad issues, while the 9.8 just work perfect.

I don t know too much about Nvidia, but do not assuume that the most recent driver necessarely is the perfect one. Your problem really sounds like video driver one. It could be temperature issue too on the GPU, but i assume u checked ure temps.