Spartans Home

101st STB

Postal

I found out today that I am going to be part of the 101st STB (Special Troops Battalion)(somewhat of a website: http://www.campbell.army.mil/newinternet/u...ult.asp?uid=11).

I start my processing for my move to the unit in the morning. I am scheduled to report to the 101st STB on Wed afternoon next week. I am looking forward to finally being out of the Replacement Company. There are several of us that got ?pulled? today from ?Hold Platoon? and placed in a real platoon, including a female from Knoxville that was in the Unit that I was going to transfer too. The four formations a day has finally come to an end. I am very excited that I finally know what Battalion that I am reporting too. I do not know any more about the unit than the webpage above states, which is not much. I do know that they are slated to deploy to Afghanistan at the beginning of the year with 4th Brigade Combat Team. I guess that I get to add that to the list of countries that I will see.

Overall, my time here has not been that bad. I have found out that all that working out and preparing that I did was NOT enough. Most the soldiers that I am around right now are either fresh from Basic and AIT or Special Forces. I am learning that it will take a lot more work for me to get up to par with everyone else.

I want to thank everyone for the support and encouragement that I received in this decision. This has been a lifestyle change for me. I made the decision to live off of post. I have a lot nicer apartment here in a nicer neighborhood than before (ask my mom and dad, they will tell you).

Thank you all again,

SGT John L. Strader

The 101st, Isent that the 101st airborn? The Eagle pacth? if so you joined one of best devisions. Dident 101st parashute behind german lines on D-day? Your in a very ricth in history devision. My brothers son is in afganistan right now. Get some towel heads for us. And wacth out for the IEDs

Edited by Athlon64~SPARTA~

The 101st, Isent that the 101st airborn? The Eagle pacth? if so you joined one of best devisions. Dident 101st parashute behind german lines on D-day? Your in a very ricth in history devision. My brothers son is in afganistan right now. Get some towel heads for us. And wacth out for the IEDs

Here is some history and you are right Athlon, the dropped in on D Day and on Market Garden. Most the road names on post have to do with WWII and some of the buildings are named from places in Veitnam. Also, for more entertaining history, watch Band of Brothers.

http://www.campbell.army.mil/dhistory.htm

This is the best. I need to read it all: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/101st_Airborn...(United_States)

I could not be prouder to be part of such a Division. 101st is one of the most well known Divisions in the World.

Thank you for all the support. Remember all the troops that are currently there and will be there soon. Most of the post have left or is leaving soon. We all know some one there.

About the pictures, there are some places on post that I am take pictures of tomorrow after my appointments. The new Division HQ is awesome. There is a real nice memorial out front. Hopefully, I will be there for colors tomorrow. I was caught in traffic yesterday and could not get pix. I am impressed that they even fire a cannon. I have never been on a post that did that.

As you can tell, I am excited and proud of what I am doing. I am trying to get my brother to join me, but he just bought a house and is not up to it yet. Maybe one day we will finally serve together like we always wanted.

SGT Strader,

Good luck to you. The 4th BCT is a great unit and you'll do very well. the 501st STB is also a good unit. Is LTC Welton Chase still the commander? I think the change of command took place a few months ago. I was invited, but couldn't attend. He was a great guy and I haven't had the opportunity to meet the new one, but I'm sure I will eventually.

Now for a laugh. Since leaving the military, my mom has been after me to get a 'real job.' She evidently doesn't consider being President of Marconi real enough. She asked me what we do and I answered, "I get to work with a lot of Special Operations soldiers in the Army, Navy, etc."

She said (seriously), "OH... That is sooo sweet. I'm glad the Army has a program for them, too. Would you tell them from me that I think they're doing a good job and getting better every day."

ROFL!!!!

I didn't bother to set her straight.

Wes

Pro