Spartans Home

We are not worthy

Luggage~SPARTA~

Some of your cousins over in BPR have mistakenly ordered and installed (it must be the water) ARMA II. And Lo they have found it both intriguingly difficult, and at the same time frighteningly addictive.

We were wondering whether more knowledgeable players could help us, unfortunately we couldn't find anybody fitting that description so we have been reduced to asking in here (only joking :D )

Currently we have 5 players with the game installed and there appears to be a movement for more to give it a go. Where are are lacking is anything resembling -

1. planning
  2. tactics
  3. focus
  4. teamwork
  5. weapons knowledge
  6. ability to survive beyond 1 minute after invoking a firefight with the AI

We have tried some TDM and CTF and that looks very much fun.

So getting to the nub, could we consider some togetherness in a server somewhere to hone the clearly latent BPR skills that are just itching to get out - or is that just the crabs?

We have the technology, we can rebuild you... :graduated:

Our Arma tactical server (S4) is a coop only no revive one life deal that relies heavily on tactics and teamwork, but we also run another server (S3) which has things such as re spawns etc running.

Currently we are waiting for all of our guys who want to play Arma 2 to get the game before we set up any servers but I'm sure we would have some guys who could give you a few pointers once we are up and running.

In the meantime I would suggest this guy as a good place to start:

http://ttp2.dslyecxi.com/

Sounds like you guys coud use some editor experience as well. That's where you can set up some simple scenarios like setting up ambushes, reacting to contact and such. Once I get the game (US) I'll draw some up. There's a learning curve, but it gets surprisingly addictive after a while.

Yep yep, you guys are in for some fun and frustration. It is difficult to build a perfect team, hell even RL Special Forces have to train non-stop to build and maintain their skills and team work. It is a daunting task at best. The good news is that you can do it. Just don't kid yourself that the change will happen over night or that by next month you guys will be rocking the missions like pros. It takes time and patience, which as long as BPR has been around and because I believe Krambo is a member there, I know you should have learned the latter.

Both Zebb and Durka are correct. Dslyecxi's site is top notch for tactics and squad field operations and Durka's advice about learning how to script and use the editor will allow you to set up scenarios to teach and learn in.

As always, you gents are always welcome here and I personally look forward to shooting at you. (I probably wont hit you, but I might get lucky ;). )

Edited by Medic~SPARTA~

Geeze this bug is catching, we at TuG have a server up and you are more than welcome to Join it for now, its set up so you can pick the gametype i think. Beaver is trying to figure out how to set it up :), im sure if we all got together it would be great, the servers i have been on its every noob for himself.

jj

Geeze this bug is catching, we at TuG have a server up and you are more than welcome to Join it for now, its set up so you can pick the gametype i think. Beaver is trying to figure out how to set it up :), im sure if we all got together it would be great, the servers i have been on its every noob for himself.

jj

Post server IP jj

thanks for the games last night guys, really had a lot of fun on the sparta server. i thought the game was good before but when you have a few guys on comms like that then it makes the tasks possible! great organisation and nicely coordinated (at least it looked like it), muchos fun :)

me and Zeno finally cleared that village at 2:30am (3:30 for zeno) :D

those artilley pieces you dropped Luggage? came in real handy later on, flattened half the town with em muhahaha. rememeber how u dropped em because they would have been damn useful to have further back up that hill.

Edited by PANiC

Just a note to second Panic's post. Had a great time on the server last night. I was trying to break down all the elements that made it work, and I think it is the combination of sensible speed, good spread of skills, and knowing that you need more than just boots on the ground. The air support, and air drops are critical.

I can see that also some time spent working a vehicle crew is essential. Whether that is tracked or rotor the time it takes to explain something when in the open is just too long, you are already dead.

Watching the AI pull from behind a buildling, fire, and then reverse in less than 5 secconds is a lesson in how to acheive safe driving.

More people, and spreading those people between all the skill groups will make that game uber.

Thanks for letting us clog up your radio :D

Really enjoyed running with all of you... it was a great group, everyone seemed to understand the need for teamwork and actually did work together very well.

The arrty pieces drifting slowly down via parachute into the middle of a hot zone is an image I wont soon forget (we thot we were calling in an arty barrage and a chopper came along and plopped out an artillery piece dropped by chute...it slowly floated down to the coords designated for an arty strike....) ..... good times, good times...:)

Hope we see a lot more of you (and bring friends)....hehehe...

Edited by Morgan~SPARTA~

Its taken me 3 goes to get back into the swing of ArmA and I am still crap (which doesnt say much for my first attempts).

However my crappiness has improved to the point where I can enjoy the game so now I am looking forward to more.

I have to say the sound of Luggages rotors passing by overhead was very realistic and I literally ducked in my seat in anticipation of the certain collision (which would have wiped out 2 choppers, an MR1, a BMP and six players in one stroke, lol), apparently my flying style lacked excitement.

Really it was good fun.

Having said that is it really much better than ArmA 1, am I missing something.

loved the games yesterday, this game is getting more addicting than thought, but only needs long free nighst and a possibillity to sleep longer in the morning.

I feel we could have much fun in Coop with a bigger crowd, so I'd say organise some nights for Sparta, BPR, and TUG for instance and see we get 20-30 people together.

I also found out that your server is good, I hade some freeze experiences on 1 para were I could play 4 minutes and getting into the actions caused immediate freezes.

Though I won't be online the next 2 weeks (maybe this week but dunno) I'll be back!

Edited by Forrester

Hi Forrester! Yeah ArmA2 is a great experience, especially with the calibre of players from our respective groups.

I know there are plans in the works for an ArmA2 Team vs Team scenario, but I know I sure would enjoy an "ArmA2 Coop Invitational" evening for folks from Sparta and other groups to get together regularly.

Dunno if anything official is planned for Coop (dunno if anything really official is really needed)...there are usually lots of us around looking for some coop matching most evenings. Perhaps someone else has more info on that.

Hope to see ya round when ya get back...:)

Hi Forrester! Yeah ArmA2 is a great experience, especially with the calibre of players from our respective groups.

I know there are plans in the works for an ArmA2 Team vs Team scenario, but I know I sure would enjoy an "ArmA2 Coop Invitational" evening for folks from Sparta and other groups to get together regularly.

Dunno if anything official is planned for Coop (dunno if anything really official is really needed)...there are usually lots of us around looking for some coop matching most evenings. Perhaps someone else has more info on that.

Hope to see ya round when ya get back...:)

Lol I was not looking into matching this beast yet,Luggage did not say we were worthy of that yet...lol

What I'd like to see are some joint efforts to get this beast tamed and get the grips on all controls so we can find out who is best off doing what and get some good COOP missions off were we use speed, tactics and good teamspeak communication, heck I'd even train myself to give an over after misusing teamspeak again to give my complait getting shot again...lol

Yeah we need to get together for some Domination but just wait till you get serious and play a mission...the gameplay becomes quite different and at times intense.

Recon we will have to set up the Friday night Cod4/5 nights to play ArmA2 (not officially cause some are still playing Cod and some do not Have ArmA2).

Panic and Luggage joined Dai-San, X-Wind and me testing Dai's mission, after a couple of hiccups it went well and I think the mission is good to go. The only error was P running to far from the group but that could just as well of been us not saying keep within 20M of each other and most of us have done the same thing.

Looking forward to more of the same, it was a lot fun when it finally started LOL.

Panic and Luggage joined Dai-San, X-Wind and me testing Dai's mission, after a couple of hiccups it went well and I think the mission is good to go. The only error was P running to far from the group but that could just as well of been us not saying keep within 20M of each other and most of us have done the same thing.

Looking forward to more of the same, it was a lot fun when it finally started LOL.

I certainly enjoyed it. Apparently the AI was at the lowest skill level, which still seemed to exceed my ability by about 10 points. I think a knowledge of how the AI is going to react is what is lacking in my gameplan. Having seen how they behaved yesterday I would liken them to the borg - if you don't fire they seem to ignore you and get on with assimilating the populace of the town.

However once you upset them, generally by shooting one of the collective, then they seem to concentrate on making your life a misery. But it does prove that engagement avoidance is preferable to the assumption that you have to shoot everyone you meet. What became apparent is that you can creep betwen patrols and ignore AI, which in the real world would be impossible, but allows you to focus on the primary objective.

And the last thing I learnt is that Panic looks mean with a big gun. He seems to like it a lot........

perhaps too much.......

The way he was stroking the barrel was beginning to worry me.......

Edited by BPRLuggage