Spartans Home

graphics card, RIP... i think

adder360~SPARTA~

well formt he looks of things my graphics card has burnt out, i got a warning that it was geting hot and that it was being dailed back then the computer shut down by its self, i then started it back up again and after a few mins the montors lost signal and i started to smell a simular smell to when ironing goes roung. after opening it up the smell and a lot of heat was coming from the graphics card so im gonna let it cool down and give it a lil de dust and see weather it still works, if not then im going to have to get a new card. first my mouse dock now the card this dam computer is showing her age.

Sorry to hear this. I have recently been in your shoes and replaced an old EVGA 8600GTS with an EVGA 9800GTX+ 1GB card from Newegg.com

I got a pretty good price with a $20.00 rebate. I may even do the 90 day Step Up program to bump to a 260 or 280 to have the newer cards. So far I am playing ARMA with all settings maxed out. Left 4 Dead plays very well, but only at near max settings. I am sure I could push the OC a little to get some better frames in L4D, but it plays fantastic as it is.

I still want to try a few certain games out like FarCry2, Crysis Warhead, and GRAW2. I am really happy with new card.

well i manged to keep the temp of it down for now by taking off one side and hanging it out side my window but that wernt enough and it starts to heat up to over 100 dgrees c, so ive now taken bouth sides of the case off and have it siting out side like that the temps are now like 40 dgrees , but kinda limted to useing the computer when its not raining lol.

Adder,

How old is it and where did you buy it?

My 8800 that went down before Xmas had a 2 year warrenty. I got it fixed ny BFG no issues.

Of course I'd already bought a new one lol....old went to my brother-in-law as he only had a 6500.

Worth a try ;)

I'd recommend the ATI 4870 as a new card....top notch

You also may find that all the cooling fins underneath that plastic cover just need cleaning.

Just lift the edge of the sticker on the fan housing and locate the 5-6 tiny Phillips head screws, unscrew and remove the top plate, now you can clean out all that fluff and cat hair ect if any inside and this will surly improve air flow and heat removal.

Also some fans have a sticker on the front of the rotational part again under there is a plug, pop this and lubricate the bearing sleeve below using something like silicone spray, If no plug you can remove fan and lubricate from the rear side.

I found the newest invidia driver has the ajustible fan option dissabled. So you can still overclock your card, but i think they also dissabled the fan throttling as well in that driver. I found mine getting warmer then I would like. So I rolled my driver back to 180.18 So I can set the fan up higher if needed.

The fan throttleing is when the card getts hoter under load the fan is suppost to automaticly speed up keeping that card happy. If it doesen't then POOF!! check the card temp and the fan rpm right as you boot up, then after awile in game the fan rpm should increase with temp.If its not then Maybe not the driver for you.

Edited by Athlon64~SPARTA~

I dont know what case configuration you are using, but fans in the side panel blowing into the graphic card can have

a significant effect on your vid card temperature.

On Athlon's case it would be the lower side fan.

2nd that, I have one blowing on my 8800.

I think the right driver for the 8800 is 181.22 that one we were running I call the POOF driver! LOL!

If that driver we were running was optmised for the best performance then the fan speeds should have been increased as well. Seems to me that it was not! All it did was runn the card harder and not cool it any better. Maybe it was for a water cooled card that dident depend on fan cooling as much and they locked the fan speed at a default level shutting off the throttle.

The 181.48 is it? Invidia ntune? For the 8800 series card. the fan speed portion is blocked off. Becouse they want you to roast the card and have to buy a new one. Of corse one can use a Bios editior to change it, but then the warranty is voided.