Spartans Home

Streetfighter Build - Or - The Last Post

DaiSan

So, I've picked up my new toy and here are some images as a reference for how the bike looked when I purchased it.

In case you don't understand the 'Last Post' reference in the title

[YT=99tCg596QSc]

It just seemed appropriate as the nickname for Triumph has always been 'Trumpet' since the first motorcycle rolled off the production line in 1898 and since I bought this bike from a breakers yard as an insurance writeoff then it just sprang to mind.

She is a 1999... yep... 15 year old... Triumph Daytona 955i in Strontium Yellow with factory supplied Carbon Fibre rear hugger and chain guard and full factory Stainless Steel racing exhaust.

I will be using her while the project evolves and I'm not going for a completly radical Streetfighter look, more a Street Triple look (Renthals, small bikini fairing etc).

Anyway, here she is as I saw her before I snapped the blokes hand off and whacked a deposit down.

9551.jpg

9552.jpg

9553.jpg

9554.jpg

9555.jpg

9556.jpg

9557.jpg

As you can see she was in an accident which caused only cosmetic damage so I assume she was knocked over whilst stationary somehow as there is no damage to any of the metal work, footpegs, exhaust, levers etc which are the first things to get damaged in a moving accident.

With the plastics (fairing etc) being so expensive to replace the insurance company wrote the bike off and sold her for scrap.

I was after a 'project' to Streetfighter anyway but didn't dream I could get such a bike in such good condition as a base so I'm well chuffed.

Anyway, watch this space for updates and pictures as the project moves ahead.

Homecoming

Another trip to Bristol to pick her up in a hired van. Normally I would ride a bike home but as she was from a breakers and an unknown quantity the wife decided that I would prefer to bring her home in comfort.

van.jpg

Sunday morning and a lovely fresh sunny day dawned so I decided she deserved a quick shower and then work begins. First job of the day, strip off the remaining damaged plastics and get her in shape for a test ride. She had been for an MOT test on the Thursday and passed with flying colours and not even an advisor so I knew she was safe to ride but I still did the once over and then had to remount the right hand indicator as the fairing was now removed.

scrap1.jpg

scrap2.jpg

scrap3.jpg

scrap4.jpg

scrap5.jpg

scrap6.jpg

Continued in next post

Homecoming - Cont

So now some pictures after the cleanup and strip of all the scrap. I still can't believe she is 15 years old, I have had 2 year old bikes in a lot worse condition than this.

front.jpg

left.jpg

left1.jpg

left2.jpg

left3.jpg

left4.jpg

left5.jpg

left6.jpg

left7.jpg

Continued in next post

Bits n Bobs

So, the first few bits I ordered have turned up.

I'll start fitting them at the weekend but I can't fit the Handlebars yet as I need the Risers and then I need to get the Headstock drilled.

bits1.jpg

Edited by DaiSan

As you've said, it's in great condition for the age.

Always thought they would look good with underseat exhausts, much like the newer models. Wolf Sport do a good quality moulding and exhaust setup but probably not cheap. I saw one in the flesh many years ago, on a 955 in the same colour. The guy had polished the whole frame too, it looked amazing

Edited by Watchman~SPARTA~

Rather pleased with the alarm and the levers match the new handlebars exactly and look nice against the paintwork (I was a bit worried about them looking odd).

New Mirrors turned up Saturday, will post a picture as soon as I have it.

[YT=9-08FXIotoo]

Edited by DaiSan

• 2 months later...

SO... Been a long time partly due to waiting for things to arrive from China, Partly because I had to use the bike for work and partly because it's damn cold outside and I don't have a garage.

Anyway, I finally got everything together, bit the bullet, put on the thermal underwear and got to it!

I needed to get some spacers to mount the headlight bracket onto the new stantion brackets.

Bracket1.jpg

Bracket2.jpg

Got some nice Stainless spacers and Bolts so let the fun begin.

Home.jpg

Hey, with no Garage to put her in this is the best I could do!

Tour.jpg

Tour1.jpg

Tour2.jpg

Tour3.jpg

Tour4.jpg

In the picture below you can see the temporary brackets I have fashioned to hold the clocks, these will be replaced with some nice custom ones I am having made.

Tour5.jpg

Again, in the pictures below you can see that the headlights themeselves had to move forward so I made some temporary brackets until I have some nice ones made.

Tour6.jpg

Tour7.jpg

Tour8.jpg

Tour9.jpg

Tour10.jpg

Tour11.jpg

This turned up too late to be included but in case anyone is unsure it is a replacement for the Front Brake Reservoir pictured below it.

Bits2.jpg

Tour12.jpg

These nice new Carbon effect Stainless Steel Braided hoses drastically improve the front end braking due to them not expanding and also being seperate hoses rather than the single split type originally installed. (You can see this in the earlier posts if your really interested).

Tour13.jpg

Tour14.jpg

Got rid of that huge plastic back end assembly with the old Dremel and fitted a much neater Tail Tidy with new Turn Signals (which I have already melted one of).

Tour15.jpg

Tour16.jpg

Tour17.jpg

And finally , a quick walk around. Why? Just because!

[YT=M4Os7iENSkA]

Hope you enjoy and I will post up the new brackets and any more mods. (If I can stop riding her long enough to do anything).

• 5 months later...

Realised I hadn't updated for a while so here's some old news.

I thought the wheels looked a bit bland just being matt black but I didn't want to jump on the old pinstripe wagon so I found some GP Vinyl.

So, some may like, some may not but I do so wth.

wheel1.jpg

wheel2.jpg

wheel3.jpg

wheel4.jpg

wheel5.jpg

wheel6.jpg

wheel7.jpg

And some new.

It's been a little while since I have done any actual work on the bike as tbh I've been too busy riding her but the weather was nice today and I thought I should do some bits I've been planning for a while.

Now as she stands something that's been bugging me is that although I actually like the original clocks, they are pretty huge and also the amount of wiring coming from them and the fact that they are designed to be IN a fairing means the back of them isn't designed to be on show and mounting them firmly yet pleasing to the eye is a nightmare.

pic15.jpg

pic18.jpg

pic13.jpg

So, off they come and I can lose about 80% of the wiring.

naked1.jpg

naked2.jpg

naked3.jpg

But this introduces a few problems of it's own. What to do about a Speedometer? What to do about a Rev Counter? What to do about the Idiot Lights? And lastly... I don't actually LIKE it that bare.

Now the Speedo I already have a fix for in the form of an app for Smartphones called Ulysse Speedometer. I can use this on my current Samsung Note 4 but I will
purchase another Smartphone just for this purpose on a PAYG tariff for about £25.

Rev Counter and Idiot Lights I will come to later.

So what to do about the look of the front end? Now I have the original Tinted Screen from the trashed fairing but obviously this is much to big to just stick up front.

original.jpg

So out comes the Dremel... And a lot of cutting, sanding and cursing later Voila!

deflector.jpg

And on the Bike (not fixed in place yet).

wind1.jpg

wind2.jpg

wind3.jpg

wind.jpg

So not sure weather to leave it as is (Smoked) or cover it in Carbon Fibre to match the Hugger, Chain Guard, Exhaust etc, might hit PS and post up some ideas. Also thinking the Headlight brackets might look nice Anodised Gold but again I will PS some ideas first.
Comments are more than welcome as always.

So anyway, as I said earlier Rev Counter and Idiot Lights... well I will post up some teasers of what I am working on atm to give you an idea.

wip5.jpg

wip6.jpg

So there you have it and as always I will keep you posted.

I can mate but decent ones are expensive and I don't like the magnet on the wheel setup, very hard to get right. Plus this is all mine and hopefully will look well trick.

This will probably be the last update for a while (I can hear the sighs of relief) as to be honest the only modifications I want to make now are a complete tail section chop and a set of upside down forks and both of these are going to cost big time.

The front screen & instrument panel is now complete and fitted and if I say so myself is looking pretty good considering I have no workshop, garage etc. All that's left to do is run some black silicone sealant around the joint, replace or relocate the stock Ignition assembly (it's only temporarily installed where it is so I can still ride the bike being as it's my only transport) and get the modified code for the Arduino so the Rev Counter/LED's actually work correctly (the guy is re writing the code as it was for cars so the rev range is limited).

So without further ado here are the pictures and a Video at the end.

Cheers for all the interest shown.

screen1.jpg

screen2.jpg

screen3.jpg

screen4.jpg

screen.jpg

screen6.jpg

screen7.jpg

screen8.jpg

screen9.jpg

screen10.jpg

screen11.jpg