Spartans Home

suprised noone mentioned SSD prices recently

PANiC

64gb ~£60

120/128gb down to £80/£90

256gb down to £160/£170

this is great news :D

any crazy foos not packing an ssd for their boot drive should be considering it for their next upgrade :)

64gb ~£60

120/128gb down to £80/£90

256gb down to £160/£170

this is great news :D

any crazy foos not packing an ssd for their boot drive should be considering it for their next upgrade :)

Sorry, forgot to mention it.

I own 3 SSDs now.

I was wondering if a second 128GB to create a RAID 0 array should be exact same brand i already have, or i could "mix" with a different brand.

Usually the rule is to have 2 identical drives. My Samsung 830 is obviously a quite expensive one, and a "twin" goes out at about $190, while an OCZ 128GB is barely over 120 bucks and goes at 99 after rebate...

A RAID 0 256GB on SSD would be Very Good.. plenty of room for games and just nasty fast...

I was wondering if a second 128GB to create a RAID 0 array should be exact same brand i already have, or i could "mix" with a different brand.

Usually the rule is to have 2 identical drives. My Samsung 830 is obviously a quite expensive one, and a "twin" goes out at about $190, while an OCZ 128GB is barely over 120 bucks and goes at 99 after rebate...

A RAID 0 256GB on SSD would be Very Good.. plenty of room for games and just nasty fast...

I heard SSDs don't benefit from RAID much, because they implement a RAID scheme internally. Not sure how true that is, haven't looked into it much, but might be worth it for you to research it some beforehand.

SSD's like MH6 said, are f***ing fast , like I've posted before 130 v 300-600mB/s RAID for speed is a real waste of money, I would go for redundancy (backup mirror).

RAIDS NEED exact drives to make them up, meaning the specs are the same, a RAID is a balancing act of DATA recording & retrieval, with one drive faster/slower/sleepier etc, you will suffer.

hope the current trend continues, i think a 256 would be nice for a games drive, although i think 500 would be ideal as long as the price keeps dropping :)

• 4 months later...

I have read that these SSD's have a short life expectancy though - worth it for a game but would I put my OS on it? Nope.

You probably won't see the end of your SSD unless you never upgrade it for a bigger size over the course of 15+ years (and a HDD will have most likely failed by then) or you do endless writes to it 24/7 365. Writes are what kill an SSD, reading doesn't hamper it. Eventually though, if a cell is written to often, it will degrade and eventually stop accepting rewrites. The SSD controller will then block that cell off so the O/S doesn't use it. As I said though, you won't have any problems unless you have some script setup to do nothing but write to the same cell over and over again, day in and day out. I'd say an HDD failling is a lot worse than a SSD failling (SSD failures are more progressive, HDDs tend to be fairly abrupt).

See figure:

VtcVE.png

P.S.- Not all SSDs are created equal. Some have high failure rates, some don't. Do your homework when buying, or just get a Crucial M4 and not worry about it. Most of them are fine though, and usually the failing ones are a result of shitty firmware.

Edited by MH6~SPARTA~

i remember stumbling across a video when trying to find out what raids were for and the different types last semester i stumbled across this gem. possibly the most powerful personal computer ever built for probably the next 6 years if moores law holds http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKcSxd_ynsM&sns=em

When the little red light comes on on the ssd your screwed.

I cant even access most of the files on it without it turning red.

...a red light?

...do you have an OCZ SSD? There's your problem. They're usually cheap for a reason.

To reiterate what I've said in the past:

Crucial M4

P.S.- How long have you had your SSD before it started having problems? And is it actually having issues you can experience firsthand (corrupt files/locking up when reading/writing), or is the only issue the red light?

Edited by MH6~SPARTA~

Well the one i want is still pricey at the moment

C19-1223_chiclet01_aa_mn_2336435.jpg Compare

Crucial CT256M4SSD1 m4 256GB SATA 6Gb/s 2.5" Solid State Drive - 256GB, SATA, 6Gb/s, 7mm, 2.5"

Item#: C19-1223 | Model#: CT256M4SSD1

(10 Reviews) Usually Ships in 7 - 21 Days (Details)

$219.99 $209.99

And haveing to up date my board and ram will put anouther $350 on top of that as well = OUCH

But the cool thing is i can use my 6400+ black edition on it untill the better amd comes out. Like a Chevy, Interchangible engine swap with out haveing to change the transmission as well.

Edited by Athlon64~SPARTA~

Well the one i want is still pricey at the moment

C19-1223_chiclet01_aa_mn_2336435.jpg Compare

Crucial CT256M4SSD1 m4 256GB SATA 6Gb/s 2.5" Solid State Drive - 256GB, SATA, 6Gb/s, 7mm, 2.5"

Item#: C19-1223 | Model#: CT256M4SSD1

(10 Reviews) Usually Ships in 7 - 21 Days (Details)

$219.99 $209.99

And haveing to up date my board and ram will put anouther $350 on top of that as well = OUCH

But the cool thing is i can use my 6400+ black edition on it untill the better amd comes out. Like a Chevy, Interchangible engine swap with out haveing to change the transmission as well.

That's the SSD I have (well, one of three), and I love it. Damn good, also has great reviews (800+, 5 stars on Newegg). Well worth the price tag. It's actually dropped quite a bit since I bought it.

mh6, the red light means there is a hardware fault, Which means i cant use it......

And considering I have never liked crucial......................

Yeah that's apparently something a few vendors, like OCZ, do. None of my SSDs have it.

That isn't to say all OCZ SSDs are bad, but it seems like the lower-end (cheaper) ones have a high failure rate.

Im actually thinking I killed it, I had an 8gb page file on it. And I left it running all the time, got 10k hours/341 power on counts on it and I bought it 4/28/11. And yes $170 was cheap back then.

And your saying error protection is a cheap feature?

Well I dont like the feature I can see why its there.

The main thing that keeps me from accessing my data is the Windows Account bs. Whenever i try to access some of the files it tells me I dont have permission, and I cant change the permissions, ive tried every tutorial on changing them already.

.... actually ill get back to you.... Just figured out i can access this stuff thru command promt :graduated:

UPDATE.....

Managed to get about 99% of my data, only a few places i couldnt copy due to the hardware fault but got most of it..

Thats why I loved DOS, it does not give a damn about access rights :P

Edited by Donziboy2