Spartans Home

suprised noone mentioned SSD prices recently

PANiC

Im actually thinking I killed it, I had an 8gb page file on it. And I left it running all the time, got 10k hours/341 power on counts on it and I bought it 4/28/11. And yes $170 was cheap back then.

And your saying error protection is a cheap feature?

Well I dont like the feature I can see why its there.

The main thing that keeps me from accessing my data is the Windows Account bs. Whenever i try to access some of the files it tells me I dont have permission, and I cant change the permissions, ive tried every tutorial on changing them already.

.... actually ill get back to you.... Just figured out i can access this stuff thru command promt :graduated:

UPDATE.....

Managed to get about 99% of my data, only a few places i couldnt copy due to the hardware fault but got most of it..

Thats why I loved DOS, it does not give a damn about access rights :P

No, what I'm saying is that I've experienced and seen many failures with OCZ SSDs, mostly on the cheaper end. But all SSDs are susceptible to failures, no matter what manufacturer.

Not saying error protection is a cheap feature, just that I've never seen an SSD with LED indicators on it, and apparently that's a feature of some OCZ drives, which I've seen fail often (but they didn't have the light--probably because they were the cheap models).

And yes, I personally put my page file on my Velociraptor 10k RPM HDD instead of my SSD. Not only because of the write wear the pagefile creates, but because gigabytes are precious on the SSD, and I'm not devoting 8+GB to the pagefile. Hell, some people just put the entire pagefile on a RAM drive (because if you have 16+ GB of RAM, do you really need a pagefile?), but I'm not sure of the side effects, so I just use my HDD.

And usually when an SSD fails, it fails relatively early (within a year), and it stops talking to the computer entirely. The BIOS won't event recognize it anymore. So the fact that your SSD is even usable is a good sign.

My main point is that I've had bad luck with OCZ SSDs, as have many others. Just trying to spread the word.

every ocz drive that i have been using for heavy database testing and heavy photoshop work has failed quickly. heavy mysql / xp2sp usage killed a ocz 30gb solid in

My 4th OCZ SSD failed today at a remote site. With 4 out of 13 drives failing after a few months of use, that puts the failure rate at 30%. Is this an anomaly? Am I just being paranoid about the life expectancy of the other SSDs I've got in the field? Here are the details so far:

qty 2 of OCZSSD2-2VTX50G (in separate systems, failed after 2 months)

qty 1 of OCZSSD2-2AGTE60G (failed after 4 months)

qty 1 of OCZSSD2-2VTXE120G (failed after 7 months)

The first three just died without warning. They simply disappeared from BIOS one morning upon boot-up. The fourth started hanging up the system, even after booting the system from another drive. First Windows Explorer would stop working, then the mouse, then total freeze -- maybe 3 minutes in. We tried saving a few files from the SSD after connecting it to a lab system via a USB dock but after about 10 files it would freeze and require power-cycling.

Hell, I have an OCZ drive in my home PC now (along with a Crucial M4 and Intel X25-M), but I don't trust it with anything important. I am glad you were able to salvage some of your files though.

He also pointed to this in his post.

BTW my current emergency OS drive is a Hitachi 2.5" i pulled from a massively cheap external enclosure, its a 5400 rpm and I can say for certain this is the slowest my PC has ever been lol.

Yep, read that post back when it came out. I'd say the current SSDs are a fair bit more reliable, but then again it can take a year or so to really see how they perform. Guess we'll see how it goes.

Also, ouch. How long have you had your OCZ? Can you RMA it, and is it still under warranty?