Spartans Home

Windows 8 - What s your feeling ?

hey Tekkies !!

So, a few days ago MS release the evaluation download for Win 8. Did anyone get close to it yet?

I read something about it, it seems many things are not functional yet, is just a general taste on the new UI.

I also watched some video and reviews. Man, my feeling is not good. Especially for the desktop environment i find MS is going toward a very confused path.

Win 8 is a hybrid of Metro (phone UI) and Legacy desktop (Win 7 style). I honestly do not believe they can live together. It doesn t make a hell of sense to me.

People is not approaching changes easily, especially when those changes are not necessary. No everyone has an Inner Geek inside and love to test innovation. there the majority of users just want to learn something and stick with their knowledge. They don t need to reinvent the wheel every time.

MS on Windows always had this sick ability to screw simple things with no reason. Very simple things, such as Add or Remove Programs in XP and previaous generations, suddenly changed name on Vista and 7. Why?? It still does the same, but now is no more where was supposed to be and ppl was going nuts for a while!! That was just a simple little thing!

.. Or, IE8, favorites are on the left end side... IE9 (a way better browser), they are on the RIGHT... and my g/f was screaming and yelling she "lost all of her favorites" .. just because they were on the other side of the screen !! lol.WHY!!??

So, now, Mr. Windows 8 is trying to get to town, to mess our life up once again, with no apparent reason !!

What i think is:

1 - Keep Metro UI for whatever mobile device out there. Is touch friendly, it works and should be light enough for mobility.

2 - Keep Win 7 to any NOT mobile device - aka Desktop environment - It works,is good and we learnt how to use it - if ain't broken DON T touch it ! -

I WILL NOT ENGAGE WIN 8 experience on my desktop. I will not even try it

I am curios to know your feelings about it. What do you think will happen when they will start shipping new PCs with 8 preloaded ?

I guess i will open a business as Tech Support just to revert new machines back from shipped 8 to well known 7 :) $150 per installation, im sure i ll make good money :)

Before reading the OP,

Windows 8? who needs it after using the awesome Windows 7 64bit, it does everything I need.

Since installing 2 years ago (post beta testing) I have nothing but praise for W7.

The first look at Windows 8 turned me off, like W7 Aerodeck, the front ended W8 looks pointless ( like a bad game show).

POINT TO NOTE:

Mobile integration into Windows 8 may prove to be it's downfall, as Mobile platforms are opening major flaws in security regarding permissions, watch out for them.

Secondly, the cost, why pay for another version of Windows ? when the current one is solid.

W7FTW

Windows 8 is mainly for mobile devices. I will not be partaking in the Windows 8 experience on my desktop machine. The "good" versions of Windows usually skip a generation. 98->Me->XP->Vista->Win7->Win8->Next good version.

You must be joking lol 98 and ME was what made Microsoft the laughingstock of the software industry......their bad reputation is solely based on these 2 junk creations.

You must be joking lol 98 and ME was what made Microsoft the laughingstock of the software industry......their bad reputation is solely based on these 2 junk creations.

Well I mean I was 8 at the time and used it exclusively to play games on, so yeah. bleh.gif

By the time ME rolled out though I knew enough to know how shit it was.

XP was decent, especially after SP2/3.

Vista was pretty bad, especially before the service packs.

Windows 7 was pretty damn nice, UAC aside.

Windows 8 is Windows 7 with a stupid UI add-in. Only possible benefits would be slight performance increase, and the fact that I think Windows 8 supports the next version of DirectX.

Im sure you can turn off any new shell and get some kind of "classic" mode and nothing changes.

So why would anyone buy it?

It smells like Aero-deck on W7, totally useless feature...

Also I agree, Windows seems to hit & miss on the generations, W7 good, Vista bad, XP SP2 good etc...

When someone takes the plunge, let us all know how sexy W8 is or is not...

While I'm not disagreeing with anything else said here, I disagree solely with the idea of not changing things just because "that's how its always been".

I'm not even defending Windows 8, I really have not read or seen anything about it and frankly I don't care, for pretty much the same reason Viiiper stated; Windows 7 does everything I need it to do, and does it well.

However, I just wanted to point out that particular mind set of keeping things the way they are and always have been is not a good mind set to have. Just because you're used to it one way does not mean there is not a better way to do it, but you won't know unless you give the new way a try. It's just lazy to complain about having to learn a new way to accomplish a given task.

My two cents.

- JHunter

So why would anyone buy it?

It smells like Aero-deck on W7, totally useless feature...

Also I agree, Windows seems to hit & miss on the generations, W7 good, Vista bad, XP SP2 good etc...

When someone takes the plunge, let us all know how sexy W8 is or is not...

Never ever had a crash using Windows 3.11 fwg.

Win95 never had any problems with it and i raped it cause that was the time i abused the os installing and uninstalling thousands of shareware games and programs...though the earliest versions were JUNK!

Win98 a joke.

ME another joke and made me download Linux for the first time,an amazing experience....i had it dual booting with Windows 2k professional.

Win XP wasnt as good until SP1\2.

Vista never had problems myself specially with the SP's.

Win7 was good out of the box.

Win8.......who knows...im pretty sure itll be useless for any 7 user; like you say...no reason to buy it really.

If you add NT versions to the list there really is even less of a pattern, people get so used to their OS that it almost feels hostile to install a new OS.......i dunno...i really dont care i refuse to pay over 200euro for an OS anyway.

Well,

my opinion is:

@JHunter:

I do agree that innovation should be welcome and ppl should be open to learn new technology. At the same time I do justify new technology when "is" new technology, not when is a "messy" reshaping of something resulting into confusing the user.

As I said earlier, not everyone has the "Inner Geek" and a large slice of market are computer illiterate users. To those users changing things with no reason IS frustrating.

What is the reason to move the Favorites from the Left to the Right?? IE9 innovation is strong. The Browser has a bunch of new perks, just why making it a bit more complicated having the illiterate user to try to figure out where the hell the Favs are gone ??

Windows 8 may have some great new tech under the hood. One of the most important facts is the ARM CPU compatibility. That means MOBILITY. On the other end, why did they removed the START button?? forcing a new user to "like" and use the Metro UI. That is a joke.

Considering strong perks of Win 8 are toward mobility, why in the hell forcing the Desktop user to get into a "touch screen" UI ??? Who has around here a touch screen monitor???? Why in the hell would I want to have "large tiles" on my desktop to drag them using my Mouse ??? Is there any reason in the world why i would like to have a Desktop experience looking like a Smartphone experience ????

So, I love innovation, when it makes sense.

My concern is not really for us, wether upgrading or not. i don t think any of us will do. My concern is what happen when new PCs will be shipped with Win 8 on?? lol.. Everyone will be looking for a way to kill the stupid UI?

I personally look at it like this:

I bought a game: BF3 & I wanted to play the game but the developers insisted I needed a launcher & so I was forced to install Battlelog, now I'm locked into a silly system of no choice, I hope W8 does not bring this type of move forward. All I need is a stable OS that can recognize new hardware & software & give me the option to install related drivers/ software that I want. So far W7 seems to answer this.

This seems to confirm that the new 'METRO' front end is only an option, the good old windows UI lies beneath.

http://lifehacker.com/5839777/first-look-at-whats-new-in-windows-8

The start button is replaced by 'METRO' why?

Remember when they hide the CLI (command line interface) you have to click START & type CMD to get to it.

Now they've hid the traditional Windows UI, how long till a reg. mod comes out? 1 day? 2 days?

LOCK screen looks pretty...

I still want my sidebar gadgets !!! I know, Windows 7....

Why do I feel like this

Well i don't like 7. you can get so screwed up in the double window crap to the point you never get it back to what it was. I like look and feel of vista better, but all that hard drive activity in the back ground crap has me proplexed. Just slap the shit out of window makers and make a good one that doesen't nausate us all to death with stupid crap that we don't need. A good simple stright farward os is best.

• 5 weeks later...

Tried it for a while in a virtual machine:

1) At it's core windows 8 is more or less windows 7; in fact you can seemlessly use windows 7 drivers in windows 8 for the time being. What they added primarily is ARM architecture support to make it mobile device compatable. Since I don't have a mobile device, this is more or less moot.

2) The metro UI is annoying to be sure. Not unworkable but for people with multiple monitors it's interface is going to be clunky at best. Most of the control buttons have been replaced with sliders, although they do operate properly with a single click on them. Navigating around to modifying various settings of the system is a little unintuitive but not unmanageable. My biggest complaint is doing away with the start button. All the control interface as now on left and right edges of the screen (hence multi monitor problems); what was the the start button now brings up this tiled start interface that takes the entire screen. This is going to be problematic since being able to sift through your start menu while having another information window open is one of the core tenants of desktop UI design for the last 20 years and I think that this is far too radical a departure for the average desktop user to accept in a fell swoop.

3) They've integrated the ribbon interface into the explorer shell as well which can go either way, since the power of the ribbon interface is the ability for software developers to write extensions that integrate seamlessly into the explorer interface (you can see some of this with certain software and MS office 2007 onwards).

4) Applications don't exit much like the android OS; when you 'close' them they're just put into a background process and then deallocated if something else needs the memory. I'm somewhat half half on this; if the implement a good memory scheduler then it's bloody brilliant since applications now longer need to load from hard drives anymore, they're idled in RAM and deallocated as needed by other applications. On the other hand if done poorly it'll cause slowdowns as the CPU has to eat cycles trying to figure out what to d deallocate. And for power users that use highly memory intensive applications such as 3D animation or CAD, this could be even more hampering. For the average consumer this won't be an issue.

5) The inclusion of the hyper-v normally only seen in windows servers is of interest to me. I like the idea of having a hyper visor directly integrated into the operating system, although how it will compare to current commercial offerings such as VMware is in question (I didn't get a chance to try out this feature and it's already running in a VM).

In all honesty I see Windows 8 as more of a mobile computing platform rather then a true desktop platform. If I was to speculate I'd guess that they're going to keep windows 7 and 8 side by side for the time being since windows 8's nature is just an evolutionary step of windows 7 with ARM support for the mobile computing market, so maintaining windows 8 isn't the same as maintaining two separate OSes. But of course, that's just idle speculation.

Edited by warzer0

thank you very interesting short to review.

I do agree with your point. Windows 8 is definetely a mobile o s.

my only concern is when they will start selling computers with Win 8 onboard.

if they give the choice people will not buy windows 8, if they do not give the choice, people would not be happy with windows 8.

• 1 month later...

In all honesty I see Windows 8 as more of a mobile computing platform rather then a true desktop platform. If I was to speculate I'd guess that they're going to keep windows 7 and 8 side by side for the time being since windows 8's nature is just an evolutionary step of windows 7 with ARM support for the mobile computing market, so maintaining windows 8 isn't the same as maintaining two separate OSes. But of course, that's just idle speculation.

Looks like I might be right here: http://www.networkworld.com/community/blog/microsoft-extends-windows-7-vista-support-10-years

Windows 7 and vista will have a 10 year support cycle even though windows 8 is around the corner.

• 4 months later...

What's wrong with 7 ?

Nothing...

Been using it from the start & I would not pay any premium for 8.

What's great about 8 ?

Nothing...

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/reviews/windows/3284198/microsoft-windows-8-review/

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/features/internet/3284163/8-hot-features-in-windows-8/

Everything 8 does, 7 does with add-on's

Win 7 has been solid & like they say, if it ain't broke.....

2 cents ends here :)

On a different note I just upgraded my home NETWORK to 2 routers, expanding my bubble !