Spartans Home

Windows 8 - What s your feeling ?

I'm buying a new laptop for the wife for Christmas and I don't really care if it's 7 or 8, but I just wanted to see if 8 might be more her style. I've heard from a lot of people 8 is for mobile devices and 7 is for desktops. Would 8 be better for a laptop?

I should add that the new laptop will have one or the other already installed, so I'm basically choosing a laptop based on the software provided. (i already know the hardware i want)

Edited by Durka-Durka~SPARTA~

I'm buying a new laptop for the wife for Christmas and I don't really care if it's 7 or 8, but I just wanted to see if 8 might be more her style. I've heard from a lot of people 8 is for mobile devices and 7 is for desktops. Would 8 be better for a laptop?

I should add that the new laptop will have one or the other already installed, so I'm basically choosing a laptop based on the software provided. (i already know the hardware i want)

Windows 8 is fundamentally the same as 7, but instead of your usual Start menu, you get the Metro UI bullshit. Which may be good or bad depending on how you look at it. Not sure if it can be disabled. Still, boot times should be faster.

It also performs better on lower-end hardware, such as netbooks/laptops.

Edited by MH6~SPARTA~

Windows 8 is fundamentally the same as 7, but instead of your usual Start menu, you get the Metro UI bullshit. Which may be good or bad depending on how you look at it. Not sure if it can be disabled. Still, boot times should be faster.

It also performs better on lower-end hardware, such as netbooks/laptops.

and W8 is another minefield of problems which 90% of the community will have to get to grips with.....

I'd go for W7 premium / Ultimate.

W8 if they give it to you for free but be prepared to stand on your own !!!