Spartans Home

4870 vs 6870

Hunter~SPARTA~

Another question for the hardware masters... is upgrading to a 6870 from my 4870 going to be worth it?

Newegg has a 48 hour sale on the 6870 for $149.99 after MIR. I hadn't planned on upgrading, but that seems like a pretty decent price, so figured I'd ask your guys' opinions.

Thanks.

- JHunter

As Wtchy said i think a lot depends on what are you playing the most and if you are satisfied with it or not.

In the last few months my opinion on Videocards is that it became a jungle (aka a mess). Too many names, too many models, feature and performances so close to each other and then sometimes big price differences.. which i do not understand.

I strongly believe there is a lot of "marketing" out there which is not helping the final user choice.

I guess you can narrow down what you want based on what you need, such as:

1 - DX 11, DX 11.x support

2 - Multimonitor support AND high performances (fact is supporting multimonitor doesn t mean is going to perform great when you use it)

3 - General performances on your fav games.

With that said, keep an eye to the top line models prices. Point is, there is no re-sell value, therefore you have to think "does it make sense spending money for something is NOT the top tier model (and possibly resulting in being a clone of my actual card just with a new dress) when i could save and get if not the real top line, at least the one right below?"

If you are struggling with any of point 1,2 or 3 possibly you want to think to upgrade but keep in mind you are getting another middle (not Top) tier card.

If you are not struggling, then just wait for the next super monster to be released and then spend your money to the model right below it :)

I'm using the 6870 card and it runs very nice...no complaints with it so far and i really don't care for ATI cards, in the past they sucked and need allot of patching for games. so far I'm happy with the this Ati version

Great solution Donzy :)

Then too add some spice on that, i would suggest to check this:

http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/2011-gaming-graphics-charts/compare,2664.html?prod%5B5000%5D=on&prod%5B4828%5D=on&prod%5B4826%5D=on&prod%5B5256%5D=on

here you can see your card, the 6870 and the 2 69xx models considered still top tier. Check proces and see how convenient can be buying one model better than another.

If price on 6870 is very competitive compared to the higher model, then it really may make sense. If is not that much competitive, you may want just wait the higher model drops in price in the future.

Also use the same site to compare Nvidia and then check their prices. AS YOU SEE .. A LOT OF CARDS..AND BUTTOM LINE.. JUST A HANDFUL OF fps IN DIFFERENCE..

1 - DX 11, DX 11.x support

2 - Multimonitor support AND high performances (fact is supporting multimonitor doesn t mean is going to perform great when you use it)

I'm currently running two screens off of the 4870, but I do have an extra monitor just sitting on a shelf that could be put to use.

I've read a little about Eyefinity, but does anyone have real world experience with it? I don't foresee myself trying to push a game (or anything else) across all three screens, but just having the extra desktop real estate would be handy.

Thanks for the links, guys. To see the different cards side by side was nice.

Still going to ponder it a bit more, maybe get some other peoples' take on it.

- JHunter

I use eyefinity on a 5850. It is awesome, but for normal desktop and productivity you just use a regular extended desktop, the hydra grid works pretty well but still falls short on things like maximizing a youtube video to a single monitor. The profiles work great to switch between modes takes 3 seconds. I use eyefinity mostly in racing games where it adds the most value for me. Right now with the older sims they all run great on a single card, but newer games like battlefield you will need crossfire. Will never go back.

I will also add that the ATI team are very responsive if you actually participate in the CAP and driver programs. I have provided feedback on games and the issues have been fixed in the next update. Very positive experience for me.

My only regret is having 3 x 1920x1080 screens instead of doing this -

5941109279_4280ebcd75_z.jpg

30" 2560x1600 in the center, 20" 1200x1600 portrait

Edited by AlarmedBread

I use eyefinity on a 5850.

Thanks for the input, AlarmedBread.

Right now I have a 24" LED monitor that has HDMI, DVI, and VGA inputs. The other two monitors are 20" LCD with DVI and VGA inputs.

The card specs say it has the following outputs:

1x HDMI

2x Mini DisplayPort

2x DVI (1 Single Link, 1 Dual Link)

If I want to use all three monitors, will I need any extra cables or adapters, or can I use the HDMI and two DVI ports?

I'll do more research when I get home, but posting this from my phone on my lunch break. Haha.

- JHunter

You will need a display port to DVI adapter for one screen, the passive ones run around $20-30. The HDMI and one of the DVI ports are switched so you can not use both at once. Alternatively you can run 3 screens off one display port connection.

There is one other small issue I forgot to mention. In eyefinity mode, with ATI overdrive enabled in CCC when mixing DP and DVI ports most people get flickering on the desktop when they scroll on one of the DVI screens. It is not present in games or if you use another program to manage your fan and overclock. It's also not an issue if like me you swap between eyefinity and extended desktop mode.

So, I went ahead and purchased the 6870 and it arrived in the mail last night.

As it seems I can never open my case and not mess with how my wires are run, spent a significant amount of time tinkering around inside, but the card installation itself was a breeze. It actually fit slightly better than my old 4870 since the power connections come off of the side on the 6870 whereas the 4870's plugs are on the rear of the card.

Made a trip to best buy this morning to grab a display port to VGA adapter (only option they had) and am currently looking at three monitors. Quite awesome. Messed around with the Eyefinity a bit, but the screen size difference just made everything look strange to me, so didn't actually launch a game with it. Maybe another day.

Thanks for everyone's feedback.

Alternatively you can run 3 screens off one display port connection.

How does that work?

- JHunter