Spartans Home

The porch post project

Athlon64~SPARTA~

Well here is some pics of the changeing of the posts if ya want to see it.

This is the reasion for the change

User posted image

And this is what i replaced them with Sweet!!

User posted image

And ok just about done, All the major stuff is up and now for molding and touch up and then it will be ready for railing

User posted image

User posted image

This is where the post contacts the 4x12 suport header or main beam, you can see the huricane straps.

And i can see the pot at the end of the rainbow. taken from the back porch

User posted image

Edited by Athlon64~SPARTA~

No, these are 6X6x10 and are over 100lbs each, And no again those are halloween lights that never made it back into the attic yet. Well in florida ever sence hurricane andrew, they put into affect the hurricane building code. Im 15 miles in from the coast so that puts me in the 120mph zone, So that means that my house has to withstand 120mph continious wind for 8 hours stright. And withstand 4,ooo lbs of up lift force on each attachment point= the posts. So inside of each of the white posts are 4x4 with steel straps that run from the top to the bottom and attach to the concreate. STRONG! it has to be, The biggest problem with replaceing the posts are staying with in building codes. Well you would not think so but there is a 8800 gtx in those posts (cost wise) maybe 2 or 3 when i get the railing up. The white alumnuim posts will support 12,500 lbs each, there is a pressure treated wood 4x4 post inside of them that probley will hold up 5,000 lbs to. Nothing wrong with over kill there.

Im 15 miles in from the coast so that puts me in the 120mph zone, So that means that my house has to withstand 120mph continious wind for 8 hours stright.

And parked outside my house would be a 8 x 14 trailer, as I would be loading my stuff up and getting the hell out of there right the hell now.

Well thats what we call a good breeze here in florida. the grass is behaia and mixed weeds, In 2004 we had 4 back to back hurricanes 1 charlie 2 frances 3 jennie and i forget the name of the last one. But jennie dumped 37" of rain in 4 days and had 100mph wind for 5 days stright and no power for 7 days. Good thing i had a gereratior and a jenn air gas grill! The house suffered NO damage, shes built like a tank!

Come to florida the vacation state! Hopeing to sell the house in a couple of years to a retired rich yankie for about a half mil or more and move north

Well you know where ever you live theres allways gonna be something, like tornados, hurricanes, earth quakes, freak storms, lighting, volcanos, falling airplanes, floods, quick sand, mud slides, fire storms, rolling bolders,Something! My brother lives in california and every time we get a hurricane he calls me and says hows the hurricane. I say rather blowing! And then on the news i hear about a earthquake in calif, so I call him and say hey hows the earth quake? he says rather shakie! but the last time I called him and asked hey hows the fire, he says rather toastie! HA HA.

It was a beautie wasent it! But the great and powerfull Athlon did it in style= had the generatior running the window shaker a/c unit wile drinking a cold capt morgan and coke wile burning a steak on the stainless jen-air grill with a side dish on the side burner. Ya we are good! hurricanes or not we are gonna eat and drink good! and the grill is chained down good to. Had trouble keeping my smoke lit, it was windy.

All of those hurl-a-cans passed right directly over my head here in Polk County. I remember them well. Thankfully, that was before I bought the house and didn't have the same worries as I was living in an apartment. The last two years I was worried about the 60+ foot tall oaks and elms or poplars or whatever the hell they are (I know some are oaks, beyond that it is a mystery to me), but we were lucky and didn't get enough breeze to blow out a candle.

I remember standing on the landing of the second floor breezeway at the apartment back in 2004 taking shots of it all on my camera, shingles and small branches flying past me and the rain coming in at a 30 degree angle.

Man, liveing any where will bite you in the ass now days

Well you know where ever you live theres allways gonna be something, like tornados, hurricanes, earth quakes, freak storms, lighting, volcanos, falling airplanes, floods, quick sand, mud slides, fire storms, rolling bolders,