Spartans Home

BF3 Beta - Opening Caspian for Massive 64 PvP testing

Batwing~SPARTA~

I might reinstall the Beta to have some fun on this one :)

2011-10-07 08:36 , edited 2011-10-07 12:03 by crash7801

After analyzing the data from our first round of closed Caspian Border tests, we have great news for participants in the Battlefield 3 PC Open Beta: the DICE team has decided to bring back Caspian Border for the beta?s final weekend and conduct an open large scale test of the 64 player Caspian Border map.

*****Please keep in mind that as this is beta we will be stress testing our servers***** As such, users may experience crashes, network instability and outages as we roll out and configure servers and network utilities. Understand that such potential issues and the testing environment are not reflective or indicative of the final product and that, through your participation, you will be helping to ensure future stability and functionality.

As we are again specifically testing 64-player server configurations, this test will be for PC only. The Caspian Border servers will be available for all PC players to join. Caspian Border will be available starting Friday, October 7th, in the afternoon (CET).

UPDATE: Some users may see "You were kicked by an administrator" when dropped from the game. This is not accurate (beta!) and relates to being dropped by the server. Thank you for your continued participation in our beta!

I got 3+ solid hours on it yesterday, no hiccups what so ever. My first time on the map as I was away for the alpha.

Very impressed with the layout and size, gameplay was balanced, didn't seem to be any side bias.

Didn't suffer any glitching and only witnessed one player sink into the ground.

Seriously looking forward to this game! :)

I playedd I guess couple of hours yesterday and was only a great pleasure.

No frustrations (although my mous controls are not set, but that is a secondary thing, fixed in final)

I love being Engineer and work with tanks :) I got the Igla update and I didn t understand exactly how it works. i fired when the tone seemed right but i didn t see my missile going the right way.

As infrantry game is a huge map, very well balanced. I have no hiccups and crashed once only.

I am so very impressed by the Conquest game. Also had a nice gameplay with Grizzly and another couple of guys on same team, that was nice and give to this game the extra dimension it needs.

It's fast pace but really it can be played in a team way and then the action just become Epic.

Please Spartans, let's try to play it as a a Team, not talking about TAC, just as a team. it is so nice :)

I just picked this up last night. Played the Paris map for an hour or two and was getting a bit frustrated. Switched over to Caspian and was loving it. I wish it was still about twice as big and they reduced the squad spawning as right now you get no sense of size as you just teleport into the middle of a firefight no matter what. I am curious though, is there a way to join a squad of friends?

I am curious though, is there a way to join a squad of friends?

NO and when others tell you YES, they mean you can if you take a random punt of 1:15 or 1:31 that you'll be in the same squad..

99/100 your not.

The truth is: it's a repetitive game, the only good points are the gameplay is over different maps & you can play with friends (but not necessary on the same squad). Many will like it because it pans to the simple things:

Repetitive, rewarding (good doggie) & easy.... (not alot of brain power required)

True port of a console concept...

You'll be able to join your friends in their respective squads, but DICE hasn't fully elaborated on how it's going to work across Battlelog and in-game.

I find Caspian to be a bit boring personally, and probably won't be a Conquest map I'll play much in the final release. But the basics are there and the gameplay is solid. A true BF experience. Just not a fan of the map itself. If you aren't Engineer or Recon, you aren't playing it right. I like playing big maps, but they either have to have a lot of vehicles to make up for it's size, but also good spacing and balance so that all classes have significant importance. Can't wait for Karkand and Sharqi to come back... :D

NO and when others tell you YES, they mean you can if you take a random punt of 1:15 or 1:31 that you'll be in the same squad..

99/100 your not.

This is true on the Beta only. It has been confirmed the retail version will give the option to join friends and join same Squads. it is not fully clear how. It will be made mostly from aoutside the game using the Battlelog system. I do believe the Platoon will make more sense as well.

From what DICE recently said they are giving a lot of importance the the teamplay and Clan play meaning ppl with same Tags will be facilitated to play together> I am confident it will work.

I find Caspian to be a bit boring personally, and probably won't be a Conquest map I'll play much in the final release. But the basics are there and the gameplay is solid. A true BF experience

Interesting here how perspective can be diametrally opposite. I personally find Caspian as a Conquest map a very expressive way to play the game. Far from being boring because involves me to take decisions and possible different paths. As map design it seems "OK" to me, I have no other Conquest maps to compare.

Metro as opposite feeling is the most boring and repetitive and frustrating experience ever. Based on that gameplay I would cancel my order. Fortunately seems like this game can make many ppl happy at once with the game style they may enjoy the best.

I will be playing Conquest for the most of my time.

If you aren't Engineer or Recon, you aren't playing it right

Interesting about this statement because i was thinking about this right yesterday. It may seem these are the only 2 classes making sense on this map, but then i got to the point my assumption was totally wrong.

I got to play with Grizzly for a while and he was Assault (medic) and we had another guy with us being Support (MG). It worked flawless.

In my opinion showed the great potential of this game to be played with the right team (people) making sense of roles.

Being the Engineer was important to handle the Tank and fix it and provide the heavy fire vs the enemy armors, however

Grizz as our medic was the Hand of God to revive us when we needed to hold a flag. The other guy as Support was providing Ammo, greanades and rockets plus covering and suppressive fire with the MG.

This great action didn t last too long, but it lasted long enough to show me that this game Makes Sense and can be played in the right way.

In fact, after that, what i noticed on other server where Engineers and Recon were the "only" choice, there were tons of respawns and there was ppl screaming for never coming ammo.

It s just a matter on how you wanna play it. If you don t care about a bit of realism to keep ppl alive, you will never need a medic. If you don t give a crap on how much you respawn, you will never need Support either because having no Ammo is the last of your problems. You ll be dead anyway.

I see so much potential here.... what I know is having a nice balanced Squad can make your game way more interesting :)

I find Caspian to be a bit boring personally, and probably won't be a Conquest map I'll play much in the final release.

I find Caspian repetitive, little team work, when you take a group of matches, say 25, 19+ is mad, little team.

I actually like metro more... that's saying something...

I'm not alone, many think the same @ EA forums

http://forums.electronicarts.co.uk/battlefield-3/

I say Recon and Engineer are the main viable classes on that particular map because A ) Engineers are vital to keep all the vehicles alive, a very key element on a big map like that. They are also the Anti-tank / Anti-air class, incredibly important. B ) Recon really shine on this map due to the wide open spaces to easily pick enemies off from a distance (usually enemy engineers with limited range weapons) and they are a great ambush class. The Forest objective in particular. One Recon can hold back an entire squad on the right elevated rock or prone in the right bush. Not including that they will have airstrikes in the full game as well. I'm not saying the Assault and Support classes aren't important even on that map, but their role seems very diminished unless you restrict yourself to one of two close-quarters objectives (Checkpoint, or Hilltop). Healing and reviving doesn't seem all that important since at least half your team is in vehicles and the other half are spread out across the map. There isn't really any central point that either two forces collide upon, it's just a very sporadic push and pull battle (mostly due to the circular design of the objectives, rather than a more linear approach). Support would probably be the third most important on that map, only due to the fact that he can keep fellow engineers firing their rockets with ammo resupplies.

The verdict my comrades and I have come to on Caspian is that 64 player battles don't have enough vehicles and 48 player battles don't see enough action (on Caspian). I'm hoping on full release each map will have different sizes (16, 32, 64) like BF2, but idk if this has been confirmed or not for BF3. As always, squad-play will make or break the game for anybody. A coordinated squad of friends on any map in any game type will be twice as likely to be victorious and have a good time overall.