Spartans Home

WTF EA Origin!!!!

MedicSN6

Okay so it was announced today or yesterday that Pre-Orders for the brand new MMO Star Wars: The Old Republic were now live. One of the methods of pre-ordering is through Origins, EA's new online store. I find all this through an email which links me to the pre-order page on their website. I click it and am anxiously waiting for the page to load. Once there, I find that there are three versions of the game, a standard boxed version with no extra content, a Deluxe Digital (download only) version which gives you 5 or 6 extra pieces in-game, and then the (Holy Mother of God) Collector's Edition which is a huge box with tons of extra stuff. The main reason to pre-order is to gain early access to the game and play it before the masses, which seems like a cool benefit until you realize what kind of bullshit Origin is pulling with the pre-order process. I am not sure if other retailers such as Best Buy are doing the same, but I would hope not.

http://www.swtor.com/preorder

Once you have selected the version you want it has a pop-up so you can select the retailer you would like to purchase the game from. I clicked Best Buy and it took me to the main page of Best Buy, not the game's page. So I back tracked a little and clicked on the Origin page. This is the warning you will find when you get there.

hySZm.png

https://preorder.origin.com/?&locale=en_US

My first thought was, "Hmmmm Okay." Now I have questions.

First, if I give EA Origins my money to purchase a product, how is that a "request?"

Second, WHY THE FUCK IS THERE A FEE TO PRE-ORDER A FUCKING GAME?????? (Sorry about the rage but this is really pissing me off.)

Third, how can there be limited supplies of a DIGITAL DOWNLOAD???????

Once I put my credit card information in, I have to wait up to 48 hours for them to process my pre-order request and MAYBE I'll get a DIGITAL game, which is, somehow, magically, in LIMITED SUPPLY. Wut? Not to mention that I have to pay extra for this transaction via a "Pre-Order Fee."

Really?

EDIT:

Found a couple rage comics after I wrote all this. The sentiment is shared.

uaU81.png

O6KhZ.jpg

Best buy does have the game, it is $60 bucks for the standard edition.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/STAR+WARS+THE+OLD+REPUBLIC+-+PC+Gaming/3031171.p?id=1218373620959&skuId=3031171&st=star%20wars%20the%20old%20republic&lp=5&cp=1

The pricing is misleading until you get to the cart. At the top it says the game is $59.99 and below it it says Pre-order $5.00. This leads me to believe there is a $5 fee for the pre-order. Once in the cart, the price of the game is $54.99 and still has the $5 fee for pre-order but the total is now $59.99. Why bother saying it if it is misleading, and not needed?

[quote name=

O6KhZ.jpg

hey isn't that ; jacky chan ( i practice martial arts for 20-years i no looki no trouble ..)

hahahahahaha :offtopic:

wow...

Well, I think the disclaimer as "while quantity last" is just a sort of generic legalese mostly applyable to the physical copy, but they put it there with no restriction. I would not be too much concerned about it if you go for the Digital copy.

About the multi version.. WOW 150 bucks for the Super DeLuxe my Shiny Ass version ?? I mean, really? and then you also have to pay a monthly fee to play the game on top of it??

Man.. this goes above and beyond my understanding. I mean, i m not saying is wrong.. or whatever.. I m just saying I don t understand it :)

But if you enjoy it, be happy :)

I've made a practice of NEVER pre-ordering anything. It seems anything pre-ordered is always disapointing. After all, it's a way to get money by the devs to make the game that they should've already had complete by the time of release. If you've ever owned a house, you rarely give the contractor full payment before he even starts the job, because he'll either do a quick lousy one or run with the money.

Here is a preview footage of the game.

To me it looks like a reworked star wars galaxies with really good graphics effects. What I am missing in most star wars games lately is space combat. And it looks like they neither integrated that in this game too. Do you remember star wars Xwing in those days. I think it was awesome because it was not just a space shooter but more a space simulation. If they would implement that kind of experience into swtor, I would consider buying that game, but without it it is for me the same old story packed into new graphics with some new features of course. The beauty of star wars in general was the design of the space ships, the space combat. For me a star destroyer is still the most beautyful ship.

Actually there is space combat in that game. Looks a bit arcade style. So my bad. Should watch the video to the end before commenting...:)

Just saw swtor here on amazon.de:

Star Wars: The Old Republic Special Edition

von Electronic Arts

Plattform: Windows 7 / Vista / XP | Alterseinstufung: Einstufung ausstehend

Alterseinstufung: Einstufung ausstehend

Erfahren Sie mehr über USK-Alterseinstufungen

Like 1311259874 false -1 114 114 113 (114)

Preis: EUR 149,99 Kostenlose Lieferung. Details

Alle Preisangaben inkl. MwSt.

Vorbesteller-Preisgarantie Weitere Informationen.

Star Wars: The Old Republic

von Electronic Arts GmbH

Plattform: Windows Vista / XP / 7 | Alterseinstufung: Einstufung ausstehend

Alterseinstufung: Einstufung ausstehend

Erfahren Sie mehr über USK-Alterseinstufungen

Like 1311259854 false -1 280 280 279 (280)

Preis: EUR 54,99 Kostenlose Lieferung. Details

Alle Preisangaben inkl. MwSt.

Vorbesteller-Preisgarantie Weitere Informationen.

No preorder fee in germany.

Yeah Kav no pre order fee,just dont forget you are paying almost 80 dollars for that game instead of the 60$ the americans pay.....its funny how they said that if the Euro was cheap we could export more cause our products were cheap to buy.....and if the Euro was expensive we could atleast buy more because of its strenght,...but no...they still use the 1-1 and over 300million people in the Eurozone are getting fucked one way or another.

Edited by EL_n00biachi

Here is a preview footage of the game.

To me it looks like a reworked star wars galaxies with really good graphics effects. What I am missing in most star wars games lately is space combat. And it looks like they neither integrated that in this game too. Do you remember star wars Xwing in those days. I think it was awesome because it was not just a space shooter but more a space simulation. If they would implement that kind of experience into swtor, I would consider buying that game, but without it it is for me the same old story packed into new graphics with some new features of course. The beauty of star wars in general was the design of the space ships, the space combat. For me a star destroyer is still the most beautyful ship.

Actually there is space combat in that game. Looks a bit arcade style. So my bad. Should watch the video to the end before commenting...:)

Yeah they have shifted their attention to the normal human element of Star Wars to the uber Jedi karate kicking, chi-focusing aliens. I'd love to play updated X-Wing

And yet, people still hold out hope that BF3 won't be any less convoluted and shitty through Origin. Somehow, people are saying that BF3 being an Origin-exclusive, non-Steam game is a good thing. Well, this is what you get with EA. Disappointment and frustration. I mean really, a pre-order fee? WTF IS THAT? The only reason EA doesn't want to release on Steam is because Valve doesn't allow publishers to fuck their customers in the ass until they bleed.

Thus, physical copy or a digital download from anywhere but Origin for me.

Another reason I'm gonna get a boxed copy for BF3 is download speeds. Even Steam, with all the download servers they have across the states (even one less than 20 miles from me) got bogged down by the Black Ops and Bad Company 2 releases. What normally would've been a 1 or 2 hour affair took 4-5 hours. I can't imagine what Origin will be like on release day with even less infrastructure and stress testing than Steam.

Another reason I'm gonna get a boxed copy for BF3 is download speeds. Even Steam, with all the download servers they have across the states (even one less than 20 miles from me) got bogged down by the Black Ops and Bad Company 2 releases. What normally would've been a 1 or 2 hour affair took 4-5 hours. I can't imagine what Origin will be like on release day with even less infrastructure and stress testing than Steam.

Well its like I said in the KOTCC Podcast #10 and again in Podcast #14, I am dead set against the early press statements that Origin pre-orders were going to experience exclusive in game content. I was not going to support a company that penalized folks for buying the game elsewhere. This coupled with the fact that STEAM may not sell the game because the game violates STEAMS policy that all Patches and DLC be offered through STEAM exclusively.

The other day it was officially announced that BF3 will NOT be sold on STEAM. Retail here I come because I am not at all interested in having multiple digital download managers installed in order to play my games. I have a substantial investment in one digital download manager and I am not interested in another.

Hey Best Buy...... WHATS UP SON!?!?!

Couldn't have said it better Hajimoto. Having more than one Digital Download/Library managers completely defeats the purpose. To date, no other service has a snowball's chance in Hell to compete with Steam's AAA reputation as a one-stop, all-in-one program. Retail + shortcut to Steam = solution.

Yeah they have shifted their attention to the normal human element of Star Wars to the uber Jedi karate kicking, chi-focusing aliens. I'd love to play updated X-Wing

Yep that would be a kind of game I would love to play. Or something like a big multiplayer battle Xwing vs Tie-fighter.

lol why are people so against a 2nd download manager,i couldnt give a f,there are sales all over the net...i have games at Gamersgate steam where ever there are sales on a game i want i buy it on that site.......why would you be so staunch with the "i already have a dloadmanager" .....there is no room for false loyalty when you're a consumer;all you do is give away your right to choose.

Edited by EL_n00biachi

lol why are people so against a 2nd download manager,i couldnt give a f,there are sales all over the net...i have games at Gamersgate steam where ever there are sales on a game i want i buy it on that site.......why would you be so staunch with the "i already have a dloadmanager" .....there is no room for false loyalty when you're a consumer;all you do is give away your right to choose.

For me it's not so much consumer loyalty, I just don't want the clutter on my system if I don't need it. I have had steam for around 4 years, from when I bought a retail copy of Orange Box and Steam was required for updates & validation.

Since then I think I have bought two games, BF2142 which was cheap and fun and Shift2, which sadly (like many others) I've have been shafted over from a gameplay perspective.

Maybe I'm old fashioned but I like the touchy-feely aspect of having the disc around. Don't get me wrong, if and when digital downloads becomes the only pc gaming media I'll subscribe to which ever one I need for a specific game. Having said that, my hardcore gaming loyalty is limited to OGR (sadly, never going to resurface) and Arma. Beyond those I've been taken by the hype too many times to clamour after every game. If BF3 turns out to be crap, it will have been the first and last in the series that I've bought at launch.

What potentially frustrates me with EA and origins is that they have spent money on this (which we fund through game purchase) when a well established and fully working option is widespread. So I guess for me it's the lack of logic in their business model.