Spartans Home

Who Dares Wins

Roach

I didnt know the SAS even existed until they stormed the iranian embassy in 1980. Later, I read a book called who dares wins and learnt about their secret participation in a variety of conflicts. I admire their unassuming manner. Great find Roach

PS

Staff Seargent "Tak" Takavesi took part in the Iranian embassy raid.

There was one terrorist survivor of the Irianian Embassy siege, he came out with the hostages, when discovered one of the SAS was walking him back inside (finish the job?) another soldier pointed out the TV cameras shame on TV.

Special forces from the UK don't get the medals they deserve cos they mostly aren't supposed to be were they are and anyway the guys (from all nations)that do that kind of thing aren't interested in bling, they are a class apart God bless them.

My memory is very clear on this, I was only a few hundred yards away visiting a girl when I heard a bang then we turned on the tv and we could see the action being replayed. it must have been one of the first time that cameras broadcasted a special forces entry live.

My memory is very clear on this, I was only a few hundred yards away visiting a girl when I heard a bang then we turned on the tv and we could see the action being replayed. it must have been one of the first time that cameras broadcasted a special forces entry live.

Wow that must have been quite a day. I read a good historical fiction book recently about some of the first troops that would become the forefathers of the SAS. It's a WWII book called "Killing Rommel" by Stephen Pressfield.

Commandos were the predecessor to the SAS (Although Commandos exist separately to this day). The Afrikaaners used Kommandos against the british army to great effect in the Boer war and Churchill was so impressed by their tactics that he called for special units to be formed after Dunkirk to conduct raids on german positions in France to keep the Germans busy, The Commandos were quite demoralising, To such an extent that Hitler implemented the Kommandobefehl, a written order of which only 19 copies were made, that any commandos were to be killed, whether they surrendered or were captured. Notably Rommel ignored this order, it is not for nothing that he was one of the greatest generals of the second world war, worshipped by his men and respected by his enemies. Commando units were formed by many nations, including the famous coalition of americans and canadians, the Devils Brigade.

During WW2 the british had also had the Long Range Desert Group, who were probably the "stars" of your book.

In the UK the The Royal Marine Commandos and the Paras are the elite of the british Armed forces, with very tough training regimens. The SAS are drawn from the best of them and undergo an even tougher training.

Captain Mike Kealy, the commander at Mirbat, died of hypothermia 7 years later on the Brecon Beacons during endurance training.

Commandos were the predecessor to the SAS (Although Commandos exist separately to this day). The Afrikaaners used Kommandos against the british army to great effect in the Boer war and Churchill was so impressed by their tactics that he called for special units to be formed after Dunkirk to conduct raids on german positions in France to keep the Germans busy, The Commandos were quite demoralising, To such an extent that Hitler implemented the Kommandobefehl, a written order of which only 19 copies were made, that any commandos were to be killed, whether they surrendered or were captured. Notably Rommel ignored this order, it is not for nothing that he was one of the greatest generals of the second world war, worshipped by his men and respected by his enemies. Commando units were formed by many nations, including the famous coalition of americans and canadians, the Devils Brigade.

During WW2 the british had also had the Long Range Desert Group, who were probably the "stars" of your book.

In the UK the The Royal Marine Commandos and the Paras are the elite of the british Armed forces, with very tough training regimens. The SAS are drawn from the best of them and undergo an even tougher training.

Captain Mike Kealy, the commander at Mirbat, died of hypothermia 7 years later on the Brecon Beacons during endurance training.

The Long Range Desery Group were the forerunners of the Special Air Service.

The SAS regiment is made up of any soldier good enough to make the grade, not specifically the Paras and although the odd Marine might get in there, they typically go for the Special Boat Squadron (SBS) which is I think, exclusively drawn from the Marines.

Incidently, the SBS are considered by many to be better than the SAS, partly because the Marine's training is the hardest to undergoe in the British Army and they are not as flash or make the papers as much as the SAS.

To comment on Custard's post, they do get the medals they deserve just in private: My cousin, a long serving PTI with the SAS ( 10 years+), was awarded the Military Cross, in a private audience with the Queen.