Spartans Home

Vid Card took a dump...

Cylawyer~SPARTA~

I just replaced the original which crapped out in October, but had a lifetime warranty. However, I don't think the lifetime warranty extends to the replacement unit. So I am down and out until I can get another.

I have a credit of $150.00 on New Egg. Any suggestions on upgrading my GTX 8800 Superclocked.

For a true upgrade or even a true equal, I expect to pay much more than the credit I have, so it could be a wait before I am back up for play.

i'd go for any dx11 card. go for the ati 5000 series 5870 or above

Not me .... :P

NVIDIA please.....

http://www.destructoid.com/metro-2033-to-h...rt-164024.phtml

REPORTED 19th FEB 2010

Upcoming THQ shooter Metro 2033 has promised to have "the most advanced DX11 techniques yet seen" when it ships to PCs next month. Using the most current technology available to PC developers, THQ and NVIDIA have promised that its post-apocalyptic Russian adventure will be one of the best looking titles of 2010.

NVIDIA 4xx range to HIT in MARCH 2010 confirmed by Nvidia.

User posted image

http://www.destructoid.com/preview-metro-2033-162183.phtml

THQ & NVIDIA partnership.

GF100 GPU from NVIDIA

http://techreport.com/news.x

Nvidia just announced that the forthcoming GPUs based on the GF100 will be called Geforce GTX 480 and Geforce GTX 470.

http://desiakhbar.com/site/?p=9871

Come to papa .... GTX 480

confirmation was made @ Nvidia's Facebook site ....

http://www.facebook.com/NVIDIA?ref=nf

Ok. I am not a fan of ATI cards. I have owned them in the past and all but the last one I owned worked great and it was ok. The problem has usually been the drivers and supporting software. I am an Nvidia man. However, I cannot wait for the Nvidia 4xx series based on the GF100. Therefore, I am considering the following:

It has DX 11 and appears to get good reviews. I would basically use this card as a stop-gap until 4xx cards are out and price drops a little, then I would go back to Nvidia for 4xx card.

Any thoughts?

Ok. I am not a fan of ATI cards. I have owned them in the past and all but the last one I owned worked great and it was ok. The problem has usually been the drivers and supporting software. I am an Nvidia man. However, I cannot wait for the Nvidia 4xx series based on the GF100...

It has DX 11 and appears to get good reviews. I would basically use this card as a stop-gap until 4xx cards are out and price drops a little, then I would go back to Nvidia for 4xx card.

Any thoughts?

I second this approach. I have, for all intents and purposes, a very expensive plastic brick called a Radeon 5870; it simply does not work for 3D applications of any kind, and even 2D support is somewhat broken. I ended up "upgrading" my mom's PC with that 5870, but that required using the original manufacturer-supplied drivers on the disc that came in the box, which are severely outdated. If I attempt to install any recent drivers from ATI, the card doesn't work at all. Since I had nothing to lose, I even upgraded the card's firmware with one that was tweak-able (from the ASUS cards), and while it improved 2d stability, it did nothing to fix the 3D problems.

I already have $500 set aside for one of Nvidia's next-gen cards, and by the time they come out, I'll be willing to spend a bit more, especially if they have a model that packs 2GB of VRAM--with newer games and my display's native resolution of 1080p, more memory will become a necessity.

Cy,

Forget about the 5750. It has a data bus at 128 bit which will choke any potentially good performance.

You have to ALWAYS be on at least a data bus of 256 or above. And around that price consider a Very Solid 4870

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList....amp;Order=PRICE

I have ATI since forever and some time ago I could agree with you about driver issues, but that is story of the past. Actually ATI hugely improved their drivers and are working great especially on newst products (4000 and 5000 series) and optimized for Win 7.

ATI did what Nvidia is pushing for now (DX 11 support) with one year in advance, so I am pretty sure Fermi will be great, but I am also sure a counterpart from ATI to answer to Fermi will be even better. That is gonna happen in the next few months tho.

You need a card now and your bang for your bucks goes straight to a 4870.

And you'll be very happy.

@ Fatal,

Sorry to hear about ure bad experience with the 5870, but did you thought it could be a failed card?

In general, any review you find around put that card on the top performers and with drives coming out from ATI every month (around the 15 on every month, steady schedule), you should just try and find the driver that better fit.

If it really doesn t work, i would return the card, but I would not blame the model itself.

Furthermore, if your native resolution is around 1920*1080 or 1920*1200, any card with 1 GB would perform great on you.

If you really look for a monster card, you should look here:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList....ion=hd+5970+2gb

But I would never buy now, because when Fermi will be out, the 5970 price will really change to match the new Fermi out, then you just have to choose.

5970 it is just the "Monster" at this moment, considering the Eyefinity option too, but hey... if you don t have to span HD on 3 huge monitors, you don't really need that monster...

I have a 4890 card which works great, never had trouble with drivers or high end graphics, but it is a dx10 card.

It is a 1 gig 256 bit DDR 5 card. It is overclocked at Core 1100 mhz and the ram at 1200 mhz and is stable as a rock.

Newegg has one for $199 although it is a visiontech and mine is an Asus. I don't know much about visiontech except that they make alot of cards for alot of manufacturers.

PROBLEM SOLVED.

Sort of.

Previous information I was given about my lifetime warranty not carrying over to the last RMA was incorrect. A call to tech support confirmed that my lifetime warranty flowed from the original product even though it was previously RMA'd, he registered the S/N from the one that came through the last RMA and uploaded the invoice for me. I setup the rest of the RMA and now am in holding pattern for final RMA approval (even though I have a RMA number and confirmation and invoice) which takes 1-2 business days. Because when I bought the original I did not opt for 2 day shipping or advance RMA or anything else (and pay extra for it then), I will have to ship at my cost to them and they will return it after processing via regular UPS ground. That means another 2-3 week total turn around time because I cannot afford to ship it quicker than standard UPS ground.

In the mean time, 8500GS might limp me through until then. I guess. Will only be able to play EVE and SWG at lower resolutions, no ARMA 2 or anything else until then.

Won't have to buy a interim card, though I may anyway. We'll see.