Spartans Home

EMT has an IDEA!!!

EMT~SPARTA~

So I read that Durka was saying no one was thinking how to better our ground game...

Well I came up with an idea, that I have no idea if it would work, but maybe some of y'all might know.

Ok here it is..........

Allow one person be on the op-for team and allow him to command troops or fight....etc... Just an idea. You can create your idea of this premise.

Now I repeat, I have no idea if this is even possible. But I figure that it would somehow have to be monitored by someone in the pub DOm. AND!!! The person couldn't leave the Main AO...

Personally I think this would get rid of people saying the missions are too easy, especially if the guy is calling in arti or an annoying sniper on a building instead of always having snipers on the road out, in the open.

Edited by EMT

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a fine idea in theory, and I personally would be all for it, but the potential for abuse is paramount.

What's to stop them from ordering six T-72s to attack our squad and/or MHQ? Or just sending every troop they have at us all at once?

Still, it's an interesting idea. Reminds me of a Half-Life 2 mod, where on one team you had humans playing survivors, and on the other you had a single guy playing the "mind" for a horde of zombies. Was pretty fun too.

If this is possible - in real time - that someone could control AI movement and attack/defend, that would add another dimension to the game - forcing realistic approaches to the AO and ........I can think of so many improvements that would be required to our attacks.

It would certainly elongate each town, as there would be the element of surprise and cover for each movement that the team would need to consider.

Worthwhile exploring?

GASP! Not only does EMT have an idea, but a good one at that!

Here's what you're dealing with as a BLUFOR attacking a human general.

1. You don't know what the hell he's going to do! He could be an Ayatolla and send all his troops at you at once, or he could be Sadaam and cluster all troops into an area for an easy kill, or still he could be a Rommel and constantly outmanuver you. It all comes down to who knows the enemy best, who has the better plan, and who is better prepared for contingencies.

2. Last week's TACDOM, my team got stuck near a barn and was being hammered. I tried to get them to cease fire and move to the back, knowing the AI would stop their attack and act like we were never there, short of a couple Spetz roaming about. With a human enemy general, things would be a LOT different.

GASP! Not only does EMT have an idea, but a good one at that!

Here's what you're dealing with as a BLUFOR attacking a human general.

1. You don't know what the hell he's going to do! He could be an Ayatolla and send all his troops at you at once, or he could be Sadaam and cluster all troops into an area for an easy kill, or still he could be a Rommel and constantly outmanuver you. It all comes down to who knows the enemy best, who has the better plan, and who is better prepared for contingencies.

2. Last week's TACDOM, my team got stuck near a barn and was being hammered. I tried to get them to cease fire and move to the back, knowing the AI would stop their attack and act like we were never there, short of a couple Spetz roaming about. With a human enemy general, things would be a LOT different.

Well Durka, I was told you were the authority on whether this idea would be implemented...so what say you?

Or if you'd rather put it to the vote, for admins or all, that works too.

Either way, I'd be more than willing to implement it 'lest someone else has the desire to do so.

P.S.- Was toying around with High Command earlier, commanding a battalion and trying to capture an enemy town. The only thing I physically did myself was blow up the radio tower with satchels. My army did the rest. 'Twas truly a battle of epic proportions.

Edited by MH6~SPARTA~

I could see this being done on TacDOM night, but for standard DOM, no. Too difficult to have the opfor transition from one AO to the other I would think. Yes? No?

Or we could just have a TvT TacDOM night from time to time and deal with more unpredictability. TvT where each team is organized in comms and into squads much in the fashion of our TACDom nights could be very good. I believe we held off on doing this (well, we did have one or two experiments with it, but nothing regular) because we didn't have numbers that would sustain two large groups. When we did experiment with it, the TvT missions were smaller and more focused on one objective, instead of DOM style. Could you do a full TvT in a DOM style as far as Large AO/Defense Point with lots of ground support equipment and camps, etc, etc.? Kind of a hamburger hill where the hill is a kilometer in diameter with a town in the middle or castle ruin on a mountain or a hilltop military installation. I know there are TvT missions out there, but most seemed smallish and not on the scale our tacDOM.

Well Durka, I was told you were the authority on whether this idea would be implemented...so what say you?

Or if you'd rather put it to the vote, for admins or all, that works too.

Either way, I'd be more than willing to implement it 'lest someone else has the desire to do so.

P.S.- Was toying around with High Command earlier, commanding a battalion and trying to capture an enemy town. The only thing physically did was blow up the radio tower with satchels. My army did the rest. 'Twas truly a battle of epic proportions.

I had a search, and I can't find where I found the other topic on armaholic or the BI forums about the TvP idea.

I'd make sure there is some inherent control about the location of the opfor commander though, perhaps as a sort of 'side mission' to find his mobile HQ or base or somethin'. Would you add a full construction script for the commander to build defenses?

I doubt it's possible, but stitch together evolution's asset structure for the Opfor commander and leave dom for blufor? Of course, I think it'll be fun to play demi-god with the commander anyway. What a kick to flank blufor with a tank platoon!

I had a search, and I can't find where I found the other topic on armaholic or the BI forums about the TvP idea.

I'd make sure there is some inherent control about the location of the opfor commander though, perhaps as a sort of 'side mission' to find his mobile HQ or base or somethin'. Would you add a full construction script for the commander to build defenses?

I doubt it's possible, but stitch together evolution's asset structure for the Opfor commander and leave dom for blufor? Of course, I think it'll be fun to play demi-god with the commander anyway. What a kick to flank blufor with a tank platoon!

Well I've already customized the ArmA2 construction code to a great extent to make it better, so we could certainly use that. Up to the admins though, as giving the commander the ability to build may open up potential abuses--though since we'd only be doing this for TacDom it shouldn't be too hard to keep the OPFOR commander in check.

Keep in mind that the stock High Command code is in first person, though you can also use the map. If we make it more of an RTS style view, it of course makes it easy for them to see everything BLUFOR is doing, as there is no fog of war. I mean we could make the distance fog correspond to the AO border, but they'd still be able to see absolutely everything inside the AO, so flanking maneuvers wouldn't be as effective. In first person however you might be able to sneak in undetected by the OPFOR commander, say by using back alleys and staying out of sight of enemy forces. In fact you might be able to locate and assassinate said OPFOR commander... (and the OPFOR commander should have a decent respawn time, say 3-5min, so BLUFOR can take advantage of the narrow window of time the enemy will be without orders)

Edited by MH6~SPARTA~

Ok the tvt.... Eh personally, I would much rather do a Tac DOm vs AI with human commander... TVT is fun and all, but you need small maps and large numbers of people to pull it off. OR large maps and larger number of well behaved people...

You could host the server with the commander position to be pw. If its good, they will come! IE if we like it, we will play on the pw server and not have to worry about who is going to doucheafy the commander position.

Now to fix the commander spawn location. Why dont you just spawn him in the middle of no where with a flag pole... Not realistic but it would solve our problems of "getting him there" And i agree about the 3-5 min respawn time... The commander shouldnt and wouldnt be putting his ass on the line if there was a 5 min wait if he died... WHich he would with our awesome skills!!!!

Ok the tvt.... Eh personally, I would much rather do a Tac DOm vs AI with human commander... TVT is fun and all, but you need small maps and large numbers of people to pull it off. OR large maps and larger number of well behaved people...

You could host the server with the commander position to be pw. If its good, they will come! IE if we like it, we will play on the pw server and not have to worry about who is going to doucheafy the commander position.

Now to fix the commander spawn location. Why dont you just spawn him in the middle of no where with a flag pole... Not realistic but it would solve our problems of "getting him there" And i agree about the 3-5 min respawn time... The commander shouldnt and wouldnt be putting his ass on the line if there was a 5 min wait if he died... WHich he would with our awesome skills!!!!

Youd have to find him first B)

I like that idea... So he doesnt have to wait 5 min at the end of the town. But i feel like that would be a huge task to place parachute points that only the commander could see... That would be a big task for someone to do... IE MH6...

So this whole idea seems like it will go somewhere, Lets make sure that we dont let it die. Cause i really like the idea of some body on the other side.

We could even make this on the reg dom... Only if we could restrict the postion. I mean we put restrictions on flying. You have to be on a list to be in the postion. Could this be done?!

Can't just have some shmoe being commander of an army... like zeno.... lol jk zeno

Edited by EMT