Spartans Home

Windows 7 and me

Hi guys I'm having problems with my system so I'm not gonna be on the arma servers for a bit. It should be up and running by weeks end. Im installing windows 7 so i order 2 new VelociRaptor HD's. I'm hoping for some performance gains with arma. I'm just concerned about the drivers for the gpu's, GTX 260 in SLI and the mobo P6T v2 if anybody has any experience with windows 7 and those components feel free to express your experience thanks.............

Just noticed this last bit about boot device sequence, i must say I had a problem too, i had set my Win7 drive 2nd in the list of HD's for it to boot up first otherwise i got a boot disk error. Strange. Anyway sorted, still got the monitor refresh rate issue.

I have noticed that there is a difference in video card temps between Vista 64x Ultimate and 7 64x Ultimate.

On a cold boot, Vista has the card at 45-48 C. From a cold boot, 7 has it at 55-57 C.

One difference is that I didn't use the Aero glass themes in Vista, but have not yet turned it off in 7. I will check this to see if it makes a difference.

Other than OS, the system is the same and as reference I am using an eVGA 9800 GTX+ 1GB.

As far as Krambo's issue, My rig, which is dual boot as described above always gives an option after posting asking which version of windows it is to boot. If i choose nothing it counts down and boots the newer of the two. This could be a feature of the MOBO. I am running an Asus P5K Pro.

Other than these observations, Win 7 is looking pretty good. It will take some getting used to with the new task bar layout. But I have found that certain things are a bit more accessible such as MSCONFIG, REGEDIT, task manager, and other. Most of these are in your right click context menus from the desktop or My Computer. No more, Start -> Run... -> type type type -> FINALLY THERE. They are just a right click away.

I am not quite sure how the XP Compat Mode functions yet. It might just be a right click on the .exe, but I havent installed any games yet.

Games I plan to install:

ArmA2

EVE Online

Left 4 Dead (w/ Steam)

Dragon Rising

Progs:

Office 2k7

TS

Ventrilo

NewsLeecher (for news feeds of course)

Various EVE tools (EVE-Mon, EVE MEEP, 3-D Maps, etc.)

These are the essentials at the moment and will probably be all that goes onto it. I don't want to clutter this thing up like I did the Vista install. I will post here I have any problems with installs or running the programs.

Edited by Medic~SPARTA~

I have a asus board m2n-e, amd 64 x2 6000+ cpu, 8800gts 320mb, and I have had up to now only small problems, such as mozilla firefox crashes when i open up to many tabs or multiple downloads, and ArmA 2 Crashes when go to desktop, open up MS Word and try to go back ingame. Other than that, It is awesome, i was running vista 64 and my pc was staggering when attacking games like crysis, but with 7, my framerates have gone way up, maximizing the utility of my outdated components. Boot times have increased absurdly, and little or none compatibility problems so far... I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate x64 and I recommend it to everyone.

I still don't consider SSDs to be worth buying yet. Maybe in a few years...

I have been mixed on this but I think I agree - the benefit isn't there yet for the load times vs the cost. I have been looking into a lot of this and while the speeds are double in regards to serial reads/writes, the speedup is going to be on loading an application or the OS.. but the impact once the application is live is very little (obviously its already in memory). Also much of what you do is random reads vs serial.

Check out this article: SSD vs HDD.

I have been mixed on this but I think I agree - the benefit isn't there yet for the load times vs the cost. I have been looking into a lot of this and while the speeds are double in regards to serial reads/writes, the speedup is going to be on loading an application or the OS.. but the impact once the application is live is very little (obviously its already in memory). Also much of what you do is random reads vs serial.

Check out this article: SSD vs HDD.

Yep, faster boot times are nice, but $3.18 per Gigabyte compared to $0.09pGB is no contest. I can wait 30 extra seconds if it saves me a couple hundred bucks.

I've not got a ssd but it's not just the boot times that are quicker, everything is quicker and you NEVER need to defrag. It my be a luxury but it's on my wish list.

As far as Krambo's issue, My rig, which is dual boot as described above always gives an option after posting asking which version of windows it is to boot. If i choose nothing it counts down and boots the newer of the two. This could be a feature of the MOBO. I am running an Asus P5K Pro.

Hey medic that was my problem I just wanted my system to boot win7. If you want to change that, google bcdedit there is a program called easy bcdedit its free and you can change you boot drive and a number of other things ;). Its not a mobo thing............

Just wanted to say Arma is running well so far in multiplayer with settings on high full grass and 4500 VD im getting 60FPS! That was only at the base thought, Im going on now to play a few games to see how it really is........

60 FPS and on our servers?!!??

If so, I'm buying a new computer this weekend. Is your signature your final specs?

I bought the i920 (There's no need to waste money on the other chip variants) to OC to 4.2 stable, 12GB DDR3 XMMS, and originally purchased an Asus P6T but after the first RMA because it wouldn't post past 8GB, and the second RMA due to a DOA, I ditched Asus for the eVGA X58 SLI board which has ran rock solid.

I haven't had a good experience yet with SSD (yes, I avoided JMicron/Intel controllers), so I raided two 1TB drives together and put Arma into a virtual ramdisk with about 3GB left to spare. Running Win7 64bit Ultimate stable for about 1 week now, and map loading sure is instantaneous for Arma. ;)

I bought the i920 (There's no need to waste money on the other chip variants) to OC to 4.2 stable, 12GB DDR3 XMMS, and originally purchased an Asus P6T but after the first RMA because it wouldn't post past 8GB, and the second RMA due to a DOA, I ditched Asus for the eVGA X58 SLI board which has ran rock solid.

I haven't had a good experience yet with SSD (yes, I avoided JMicron/Intel controllers), so I raided two 1TB drives together and put Arma into a virtual ramdisk with about 3GB left to spare. Running Win7 64bit Ultimate stable for about 1 week now, and map loading sure is instantaneous for Arma. ;)

Yeah if you have the RAM to spare, a RAM disk is definitely the way to go for ArmA. I also have an eVGA X58 SLI board, and I love it...though I hate the fact that I can't overclock my i7 920 whatsoever (I think I got a bad batch, but am too lazy to return it)

Ok, I normally build my own PC but maybe I'm lazy, and wanted something quick, so I decided to find a prebuilt. I was looking around for one that has some of the main items I wanted - i7-920, GTS 260, and DD3 RAM.

I came across the HP E9290F at Frys and picked it up today.

HP e9290F for specs. Not too bad for $1200. The GTS 260 also has 1.8gig of RAM, which I can't find anywhere else. Now going through all these Windows 7 tweaks tos ee what I can do to get this thing humming.

i personally will never by a pre built desktop again sadly i cant build my own laptop but alias, not too bad but i perfer a asus mobo and well i built mine before i could have 24gigs of mem. <_< but not bad.