Spartans Home

RAM Issues

Watchman~SPARTA~

I recently changed my RAM to Kingston PC8500, installing 4 gig (2x 2 gig) and another 4 gig in reserve for when I upgraded to Windows 7. My mobo is an Asus P5B with I believe latest bios - 1.06.59.

Well, I installed Windows 7 tonight and after getting the basics done figured I'd whack in the other 4 gig. Now I know they work as I'd previously put them in to make sure but when I have all 8 gig in the pc wont start up.

I get the initial boot up text and according to that it sees the 8 gig, actually showed 7.something but wouldn't go to windows. It even put up a message saying unknown CPU??

As soon as I took the extra 4 gig out, hey presto, here I am.

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong. When I OC'd the CPU with Jokers help we tweaked the DRAM settings but I've looked there again and can't see anything obvious. Does a mobo come as standard with a max RAM allowed and have to be changed???????

All help greatly appreciated

EDIT:

Checking system info, it says I have:-

Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 4.00GB

Total Physical Memory 2.94GB

Available Physical Memory 1.98GB

Prior to the Windows 7 install I was running 32 bit XP Pro and that showed my RAM as 2.94GB, same as above. Is this just coincidence or do I have some issue left over from XP?

Edited by BPR_Watchman

doesnt look like the mobo is having a problem detecting the ram (u said it sees the 8GB) and it sounds like its POSTing ok.

sometimes adding 4 sticks needs slightly more voltage to the RAM, with the kingston stuff it would be fine at 2.1v. i'm not sure exactly with the p5b but other boards need + volts on the northbridge to get 4 sticks to work properly.

having said that, the usual problem would be that the comp wouldnt POST at all if the voltage was a little low, but maybe it's just on the edge.

other thing i would try is use the other 2 ram slots on their own just to test, and also make sure you are not just using the same 2 sticks all the time, mix them up a bit to help any fault finding.

oh and you installed 64bit windows 7 right?

Edited by PANiC

Added:

I had/ have an Asus board in one of my machines and it will not boot with 4x 2Gb memory DIMMS but will boot with 4x 1Gb or 2x 2Gb. Was a problem from about 2 years ago......

The Problem I believe is the motherboard & Ram compatibility....

You might have a sys that will accept 4x1GB or 2x2GB but not 4x2GB or not in a particular make/ spec.

Check your Motherboard book for DIMM & RAM

http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum/sh...ead.php?t=43636

I agree try boot memtest in DOS emu/linux, check out the RAM before you go further. Also look for a BIOS update for you MOBO and read what may have been fixed. See if ram issues have been fixed.

Make sure also if you have 2 types of ram installed you have em in pairs, example say you have 2gb in OZ ram, make sure you have them in the right config of your MB to run as duel config. So when adding extra ram of a diff type/manufacture you don't mix up the channels, if you need info on this read your MB manual, as it changes from manufacture to manufacture.

Yes: I have installed 64bit Windows 7 :D

Yes: With 2 x 2GB it boots to Windows 7 but with 4 x 2GB it doesn't get to Windows 7. In fact it was hard work just to get to into the Bios setup screens.

All 4 DIMMS are Kingston Hyper PC8500, bought as 2 matched pairs. Each pair works as 2 x 2GB install but I haven't mixed the pairs. Also have always used the 1st & 3rd slots when running 4GB. Thought this was required, so I'll try "nd & 4th slots to rule those out.

Away for the weekend so wont get back on the pc until Monday night but in the mean time I'll explore ASUS / Kingston compatibility issues and all those other suggestions made.

Thanks for the support and ideas so far.

I have encountered the same problem kind of, also an ASUS board.

I have two black slots and two yellow slots in the board for RAM.

The black slots allow me to run 4GB at default values set by OCZ.

The yellow slots do not, they really downclock the RAM in able to boot.

Couldn't get it to boot with 6GB either.

2x2GB is fine in the black slots. (1 & 3) dual channel

then all goes to sh*t when the yellow slots are used.

As above I will try the suggestions and then post any findings.

Are your slots different colors Watchy?

Have you tried booting with 4GB in slots 2 & 4?

Athlon, as stated the RAM is all the same manufacturer / type, bought specifically to go up to 8GB when I decided to go to a 64bit system. Which I have now done, with Windows 7.

Kram, yes the board has two black slots, 1st & 3rd which work fine with 2 x 2GB and 2 yellow slots 2nd & 4th. I haven't tried the yellow slots on their own but will do that on Monday to at least make sure the connectors aren't faulty.

The mobo cab support 8GB, as 4 x 2GB and prior to ordering I did check the mobo manual for compatibility and Kingston was in there as an OK brand but who knows?

If and when I crack this I'll update the post and maybe it works for you as well.

Watchy - just read the manual for my board.

Apparantley slots 1A and 1B are dual channel = 1 yellow 1 black.

I have them in slots 1A and 2A - both black = apparantley not dual channel.

Try putting 4GB is slots 1A and 1B - 1 yellow 1 black and boot.

Then shutdown, put the other 4gb in slots 2A and 2B and try booting.

All the best.

Edited by Krambo

Got the 8gb to register at the expense of my cpu overclocking. Had to go into bios and reset to defaults and then it fired up. This was a purely random idea borne out of frustration, now Ijust have to try to overlock the bugger again!

:D :clapping: :rolleyes:

Ah well It's always the last thing you try.

Sorry Watchy, I didn't suss that the issue was the overclock and over 2gig of ram. Common issue which I don't profess to understand, other than it is normal for you to have to back off the overlock when you stick more ram in. I have the same issue, I can't get more than 3.4 with 4gig, whereas I can go beyond 3.9 with just 2gig.

Plenty of threads around including Overclockers.