Spartans Home

need some help

Hoot~SPARTA~

hi dudes problem i have is my pc slows right down when playing arma11 my spec is cpu=intel dualcore 6400 2.14 clocked to 3.04 memory 4.0gb but graphics card is 8800gt 328meg what i am thinking is new graphics card but dont have much money so is it better to have more memory on graphics card or faster speed or more Stream Processors

not very clued up on these things so hoping you guys can help looking at this card but duno if much difrence from what i have http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct....&subcat=927 ps also running a 22inch wide screen monitor

Edited by hoot

hi dudes problem i have is my pc slows right down when playing arma11 my spec is cpu=intel dualcore 6400 2.14 clocked to 3.04 memory 4.0gb but graphics card is 8800gt 328meg what i am thinking is new graphics card but dont have much money so is it better to have more memory on graphics card or faster speed or more Stream Processors

not very clued up on these things so hoping you guys can help looking at this card but duno if much difrence from what i have http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct....&subcat=927 ps also running a 22inch wide screen monitor

Ah Hoot same boat I see.

I changed my E6600 to a 8400 a while ago and that boosted my gaming a lot!

Now I have the old 8800 GTS 320 MB, and I hope (to sneak one in at home) to change it to a 275 GTX for ?200 (which is about the same in pound (dang were did the pounb key go on my keyboard, I used to have one)

The card you have you eyes on looks good too, dunno what the differences are these days, but I read a review of the 275 and 285 where the 275 did as good as the 285 if you overclock it a little.

Anyway the difference from my old GTS will be big enough for me, can't afford much more. (in combination with windows 7)

Maybe a 260 can be bought second hand as the are at the lower end of the 200 series nowadays?

Good luck

The best bang for the buck is ATI Buy a 4870 or 4890. The 4890 will outperform a 275GTX and hang on to the 285GTX but for less money.

My graphicscard broke 3 weeks ago so i too need a new one and i am on a budget but my system supports SLI so i will go for a 275GTX and then save some money over a couple of month and then buy a second one. That will put me infront of a 285GTX for the same amount of money. If your mobo supports SLI then you could buy a 260GTX and then a second when u have the money. That will give u really perfomance boost and u will notice that it´s your CPU that is the bottleneck now.

For anyone with Nvidia cards, go to your Nvidia Control Panel, 3D Application Settings, and turn Max Prerendered Frames up to 8. This should give you a nice boost in FPS (did for me anyway). Also disable PhsyX if your card supports it.

Edited by MH6

I have a 1Gb 4870 for the money its the mutts.

My CPU E6600 at 2.4Ghz (stock) is working balls out and if you upgrade your CPU try to go better than this.

If u are gonna buy a new cpu i will highly recommend that u buy a quad core like the Intel corel2quad 9550. The price is really good and its easy to overclock. I have mine runing at 3,4ghz with no issue and no coreV tweaking. That will keep u in the sweetspot for a couple of years while the E6600 will be struggeling from day one.

hi hoot

i agree the 4870 with 1 gig memory is working like a treat.

basically, more memory on your video card = more textures so you can run at highest quality without performance hit.

your cpu should be fine - not pefect but good enough.

and then you just tweak a few things in game like post processing - low or disabled and shadows low.

that should sort you out.

Edited by Lightspeed

i can check 'clockers members market if you have anything specific in mind hoot?

example someone selling a 5 week old 4870 1GB: http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct...._source=froogle for £98 delivered, and two sold for £90 each recently.

Sapphire HD 4870 512MB just sold for £68

/edit, actually, this is a great buy this week only: http://overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-120-XF

Edited by PANiC

i'll think you would get more from a gfx card. ati 5xxx series are due this month, so price drops and bargains ahoy :D

be wary about upgrading your cpu, newer cpus are 45nm and yours is a 65nm, i suggest that the new 45nm chips will not work in your motherboard! certainly the 65nm chips dont work with the 45nm motherboards (i know i tried it).

i'll think you would get more from a gfx card. ati 5xxx series are due this month, so price drops and bargains ahoy :D

be wary about upgrading your cpu, newer cpus are 45nm and yours is a 65nm, i suggest that the new 45nm chips will not work in your motherboard! certainly the 65nm chips dont work with the 45nm motherboards (i know i tried it).

cheers panic if new graphics cards are due maybe i should wait a bit as for cpu my motherboard is a http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/Motherb...=2531#anchor_os

think it does both size but would have to research it.

tonight i installed fraps and my fps was between 12 and 28 mostly 19fps so need something

thxs

i put on fraps the other day and i was on 12 fps :D

i'm happy with my framerate untili turn that damn fraps on haha :D

looks like you are right abuot the CPU, it was worth checking tho :)

Edited by PANiC

Hoot, as per Panic, I would focus on the graphics card upgrade. I went all out and did the 4870x2, which has been fantastic, but I reckon any of the above will make a major improvement. You should be ok CPU wise, check the box and I think you will find you are in the zone perfectly on that score.

yep dont waste your cash on cpu just yet - wait another year.

with 4 gig of ram its not your bottleneck.

the card is your bottleneck - you need more memory and more power and anything less the 1 gig of vid memory is a waste of time.

games need a gig now to run highest quality and no point buying a card if you will only run it on low medium.

yep dont waste your cash on cpu just yet - wait another year.

with 4 gig of ram its not your bottleneck.

the card is your bottleneck - you need more memory and more power and anything less the 1 gig of vid memory is a waste of time.

games need a gig now to run highest quality and no point buying a card if you will only run it on low medium.

ok so card it is. only thing i dislike is ati cards, as the drivers can be a pain some time but saying that nvida are over priced.

thanks all

if I were you, I'd look into purchasing two mid end cards and running SLi. Other than that, you can look at EVGA, they have a great Step-Up program so you can buy a card now and in a few weeks upgrade it for the price difference if you want to.

Good luck.