Spartans Home

Domination Update

Halli~SPARTA~

The new server settings have sure made the Dom server a lot more fun to play.. thanks to all involved in that...

Was on til about 2am local time, crankin on the missions and it was smooth as silk most of the night. There is anoither side mission that gets screwed up and we got stuck on that one, hopefully the bug fix will smooth those over.

I wish he would add villagers to the smaller towns and even the larger ones that we attack in which could be friendly or hostile and it would be random what they are. That way it keeps people on their toes and that's how it is in real life. I think it would just that extra touch the the game. =P

there are armed and dangerous civilians in the current version.

didnt know where to put this specifically but have you guys considered making the public server more difficult?

if you miss the extract from one town then the next town is always cleared by the time you reach it for example, or like last night we drive into one town with 2 tanks and cleared it in a few minutes, even with one tank's tracks being imobilised. even without airsupport the towns are going down too fast IMO, with air support it's just taking the ****. the pilot will get 200 kills, destroy 50 pieces of armor and not even die. ok there are some really great pilots out there but that just proves the point further that it's too easy.

Edited by PANiC

seems more of a battle when there is no air support and noone is doing the side missions (getting armor), just pushing up as troops accross the fileds, reviving and moving onwards seems a much better experience for me. i dunno maybe it's just the sheer number of players that sometimes i just feel i spend 95% time travelling and 4% watching planes nuke the towns and 1% of me engaging enemy myself, maybe i'm just a slow ass :D ;)

ok i was in a tank last night because i'd not really had a proper go before, but the travelling was boring so i killed myself to get out and back to base.

arg maybe ARMA just doesnt suit me :(

Some nights are played well and other nights are like that, I to feel that there should be more ground pounding as air wars drives me nuts when the choppers are buzzing all over the place.

As for the missions endning quick yeah I noticed this and I would say we are at the piont where we need to set the server at Vet or at least in the US evenings.

Well one thing I've noticed, which of course makes sense, is that towns become substantially easier to take as the player count increases. Trying to take a town with 5-10 people is hard. With 30--it's a bloody cake-walk. The Domination towns are not dynamic; they do not determine what spawns based on the amount of players on the server, so the more players you have, the easier it will get.

Personally I'd like to see more full-out assaults by the enemy on a massive scale. The roaming convoys are nice but hell one soldier with a SMAW can generally make short work of them. We're fighting Russians, after all. Where are the endless lines of tanks blazing across the open plains? Maybe we'll have some of that in the expansion, since that's what the AH-64D Longbow was made to prevent.

Increasing the difficulty will result in crickets chirping on our servers.

The first time players log in and cant find themselves or anyone else on the map they will bail and find a server they can play the way they are used to. More time would be spent trying to find teammates and, in particular, the revive-able than actually killing anything.

Where is the MHQ? No one knows. There is no marker. Chopper, fly us to the main objective. Sure, where are you? Dont know.

Increasing the difficulty will result in crickets chirping on our servers.

The first time players log in and cant find themselves or anyone else on the map they will bail and find a server they can play the way they are used to. More time would be spent trying to find teammates and, in particular, the revive-able than actually killing anything.

Where is the MHQ? No one knows. There is no marker. Chopper, fly us to the main objective. Sure, where are you? Dont know.

Well even in Veteran, the MHQ, choppers, and even people needing a revive all show up on the map. The only things that don't show up are friendly and enemy targets I believe. So it would be harder to stick with your teammates if you don't have line of sight on them. It's also slightly more difficult to determine your own location. I understand, however, that a lot of people don't like veteran, and personally, I'm perfectly happy with any difficulty setting.

Edited by MH6

I will check my copy of Dom again but in veteran on my local 'server' I see absolutely no markers at all.

I just tested it on Expert (highest difficulty setting) and the choppers and MHQs show up. My player marker however, does not. Not sure about revives though.

Mind I tested it with co30 Domination AI or some such, so maybe it handles difficulty settings a tad differently than Revive does.

I love the occassional run in a tank and I am completely hooked on chopper flying, in a support or attack role. When I get a chance at a jet, I take it. These are the tools that a modern armed force use to win in battle. It certainly takes boots on the ground, but without air and armor support you can be screwed.

The real issue here is that side missions have turned into 12 man forays instead of a group of three or four. That pulls players away from the main battle and in my experience, when that happens you end up NOT making ANY progress on the main target.

Also, the point above is correct when saying that Domination is much easier with many players. I would caution that changing difficulty level could have detrimental effect on server numbers, but I would not be opposed to trying it briefly just to see. Domination really does need to be redone so as to add variable density targets according to the number of players online, but we all know where the author is on that.

I think a public server in veteran mode will be a nightmare to admin. Equipment will be lost on the map. Veteran requires a lot of discipline which is tough on a public server, Slain started the server in Veteran once, we restarted in the normal mode pretty quickly.

So, it's just a waiting game for the last version to be released. I hope he takes his time and beta tests it well to get any bugs out first.

From what I understand this next deal is really a hot fix as he talks as if he wants a life......haha.

So, it's just a waiting game for the last version to be released. I hope he takes his time and beta tests it well to get any bugs out first.

From what I understand this next deal is really a hot fix as he talks as if he wants a life......haha.

I think a public server in veteran mode will be a nightmare to admin. Equipment will be lost on the map. Veteran requires a lot of discipline which is tough on a public server, Slain started the server in Veteran once, we restarted in the normal mode pretty quickly.

Yeah your probably right although there is a way to adjust AI vigor, we will take this up with Moderators.

Some nights are played well and other nights are like that, I to feel that there should be more ground pounding as air wars drives me nuts when the choppers are buzzing all over the place.

As for the missions endning quick yeah I noticed this and I would say we are at the piont where we need to set the server at Vet or at least in the US evenings.

I'm not a big fan of the air cover being all over the place either. I like the infantry aspect of the game, and enjoy being dropped off by the helicopters with occaisional appearances by the heavy aircraft support. Sometimes it gets to the point where most of the targets in towns are gone by the time I spawn at an MHQ and hoof it in. Not so much fun at that point.

Also a minor point, but are shoulder fired rockets REALLY that accurate and deadly against armor?

Perhaps its just me, but it seems like there are some fundamental issues being missed by players.

Aircraft are earned... the group has to work together through several missions without air cover to get air cover. Yes, the air cover can be deadly as hell.. but thats the point of all the previous missions. Once you have air support you can grind through the map to completion in short order.

Remember, the goal is not to wrack up kills for yourself, the goal is to complete the objectives and side missions, and end the map. The entire team is involved in that effort. Yes, sometimes you hoof in and the town is empty, but thats because the team worked its ass off to get equipped enough to get to that level of competence.

Obviously some issues are hard coded into the game and we can't do a lot about those...like deadly AT missiles, hard to kill AI, uber AI that kill from impossible distances, etc. Some things we just have to suck up and deal with.

Personally, I think one solution would be to open a 2nd public server but limit both servers to 20 or less players. Perhaps even 15. Smaller overall teams might help make the combat a little more personal and 'extended'.

Can you imagine how much fun it would be, if we had 2 public servers, and the regulars to each server would battle each other in a weekly team vs team match of some sort? I think that would be pretty sweet...:) Server 1 vs Server 2 by invitation only...:)

There are a lot of things we could do to mix up the competition a little with a little imagination, just need to think outside the ammo box, so to speak.

Edited by Morgan~SPARTA~

Also a minor point, but are shoulder fired rockets REALLY that accurate and deadly against armor?

Yes they are for me but I go in with a game plan of 5-6 smaw, Strike ground howitzers first then go for line of site Heavy

Armor. After making my strikes the group tends to take over then I wind up at base bitching at BF2 players and what not.

I am going to try the server on Ranked settings for a day to see how this plays out.

This is only a test to give a change of pace and if not recieved well will not stay.

Yes they are for me but I go in with a game plan of 5-6 smaw, Strike ground howitzers first then go for line of site Heavy

Armor. After making my strikes the group tends to take over then I wind up at base bitching at BF2 players and what not.

I am going to try the server on Ranked settings for a day to see how this plays out.

This is only a test to give a change of pace and if not recieved well will not stay.

I think I misspoke- I was wondering if actual (real life) AT rockets are really that accurate. I honestly don't know - they do seem to fly laser straight in game.

Morgan -

Perhaps you're right and I'm missing the point of the teamwork. My experience with team based tactical games like this one is limited - closest I came was a couple of months playing planetside, but without voice coms.

My learning curve is steep and to the satisfaction of getting a kill with small arms for me is still pretty high.