Spartans Home

my system

Haloelite

hello again I was wonder with all new stuff coming out everyday and what not did I make a decent enough computer or will I have to upgrade in like 3 months?

Hard Drive: seagate 400Gb serial ATA HD 7200/16mb/SATA-3G

Memory: Corsair 2048 Megabytes of DDR3 Two matched CM3X1024-1333C9 modules(not sure if that is the correct one, had some problems with the order)

motherboard: Asus P5Q3 Deluxe/WiFi-AP intel P45 socket 775MB

Graphics card: Visiontek Radeon HD 4850 512MB PCIe w/Dual Link DV

Processor: Intel Core Duo E8400 3ghz 6mb 1333FSB CPU

just safe 2 buy a mobo with the ability to upgrade.

for example my mobo is running a core2duo, but has the ability to support a quad core.

my mobo has 2gb or RAM in, but if i went to vista 64 etc i could stick up to 8gb in.

i have 1 gfx card in but it supports SLi.

and so on.

Halo

Kram has a point about the HD but its a good setup. It's looks more capable than my rig and I'm now running on Vista without a hitch, games run as smoothly as on XP and films look 50% better.

custard

I built my pc in March 07 (not the one in my sig) and apart from adding 2.25 tb of hard drives (and reinstalling xp and vista a few times) I have not upgraded the hardware and dont think I need to for a while yet. If needs be I can overclock the graphics card and processor. Mind you it pains me to think how much I paid for this stuff compared to what its worth now.

I went with Vista and love it, You will find the folks haveing trouble with it, is useally their mother board is NOT fully compatible with it. Oh they may claim that their mobo will run it, But if you are getting problems, Then its NOT! With the service pack1 it is as fast as xp now. I got tired of all the explorer Active X crap in xp, and haveing to run so much protection with it, its not fun anymore. And Xp doesen't have all the dvd codecks and all the stuff you need to play DVD movies, As you have to search the net to find secondary soft ware just to wacth a blasted movie. I HATE CHEAP CRAP LIKE THAT!!! And then you will find your self in a conflect wile trying to burm cd/roms like with nero. Vista has a cap on the ram @4gigs for ultra and 3 gigs for home prem. But vista has double firewalls 1 incomming and 1 out going. So you don't have to run a port blocker, it has it allready. Get what you want, do what you want to do.

athlon, its nice 2 hear abit of useful info abt vista. Iv been thinking about it because of the price of RAM at the moment so i might "obtain" a copy of vista ultimate 64 and get 4GB,

Thanku, i dont wana hear how pretty it looks and all that crap.

I want 2 know that it will run quick and safe and not hav 2 search the internet for 3rd party software.

Well when Vista first came out, alot of folks had trouble with it Becouse their machine wasen't strong enough to run it right 2.0 cpu and higher i think that was it, and a min of 2 gigs of ram was needed. And alot of the secondary software drivers were not up dated for vista yet. Mostly sound drivers weren't. So as soon as you install vista you would loose sound. And I had that prob to, I looked and looked on the net for updated drivers, and when I got pist off and went to shut it down, the up date was minmized setting there waiting for me to install it. TA-DA sound, I recomend the 32 bitt if you run alot of old software, alot of that stuff won't work on 64bitt unless the drivers are out for it. So check for the 64bitt drivers before you do it. some of the older games runn some stuff 16bitt in the back ground and won't work in 64 bitt at all. Just check and make sure you have enough cpu and ram and your board is compatible to save your self BIG problems. My board was custom taylored to run Vista and its SMOOTH!!!! But can be a crankie bastard on one that is not! I bought the Asus m2n32 sli preium Vista edition board It was worth it for the flawless operation of Vista. And sence spk1 Xp is history as far as im conserend. But all the updated drivers are out now, and the problem was mostly with the secondary software like Nero. photoshop and stuff like that.

Edited by Athlon64~SPARTA~