Spartans Home

Liberation 8 man CO-OP (without fires)

DaiSan

The more I play the more I realise that I am more adept at long range sniping than assaulting (Particularly in ArmA). I did enjoy the silent assaults, simply because all targets are identified and eliminated simultaneously without giving our position away. but as soon as there is a short range engagement my life expectancy can be measured in seconds. I dread town clearing.

I wish I could do missions with a silenced M4 with an ACOG optic, plus an M107 in a backpack.

I enjoy both aspects mate but my problems arise from either the poor performance of my game or the connection which means that as soon as I get into close contact with any numbers of enemy I find it difficult to keep my game smooth enough to engage them without getting killed, because they are either not where they appear to be from my perspective or my game has slowed down so much that they always have the advantage.

I am hanging on to buy my next rig for Arma/OFP2 so until then I am just stuck with it, this is only a problem when I try to play online so missions I play on my own computer are not a problem when I have to engage at closer range, although given the option I will always try to take out as many targets as I can at long range, identify which other targets are left and then go in to get them.

TBH to some extent I think its the game, not your rig. When we play COD or GRAW you dont have such problems. My rig is up there in terms of processor and is no slouch in the Graphics Card department either but traversing the gun is sometimes slow online in ArmA this is a real pain up close. You were having more probs than me with the desync though, but I wonder how much of this was down to the server which ultimately locked the mission up.

I really enjoyed lastnite also. The removal of fire made the start much better for me. The game was actually very smooth during the silent parts of the mission.

I prefer the silent assault because of the increased intensity and coordination.

There is a good place for sniping also for coverage. We began making decisions on which spotted targets the

sniper needed to eliminate later in the game. I think that is probably a safer usage of the sniper asset.

Zebb I wonder if you have some stuff on that you don't need. I have a very old system using an ATI 9800 pro that is smooth during the silent assaults. The only time my framerates get a bit nasty is while walking thru dense bushes, trees and fire. I have most things set to low except for effects and objects. The game still looks fairly nice.

It's a well known fact that ArmA is terrible when it comes to CQB (Close Quarter Battles) or FIBUA (Fighting In Built Up Areas). It was never really designed for this and doesn't handle it very well at all.

Hopefully this is addressed in OFP2 or ArmA2.

I really enjoyed the mission and think we did really well, things need polishing up but as a whole it showed how well aware people were and how they used cover arcs and held off on the run and gun.

If anyone thinks I am taking too much control or fancy giving command a go themselves then please just tell me to "Shut the hell up".

I think that so long as ideas are presented, considered, accepted or rejected, it doesnt matter who is in overall charge, so long as someone actually does take that role.

I am happy to follow you or anyone with a clear overall idea of what they want to do.

I really liked the grid reference idea, we need to do a post about that it is really helpful.

I prefer it when someone (not me) takes charge it keeps it clearer on comms and keeps it simple, I like simple. I would like to try clearing towns as a four man team because if you cover arcs I think it could be done.

• 2 weeks later...
I would like to try clearing towns as a four man team because if you cover arcs I think it could be done.

One example of four man fireteam movement in an urban setting:

Intersection Crossing

IPB Image

Notice how the positions shift on each bound.

1 covers left foreward as team advances then sets covering right rear as 3

2 sweeps right, moves up and sets covering left rearward finally becoming rear guard 4

3 repeats sweeping movement forward then sets covering forward as 1

4 repeats movement then sets covering right as 2

So it's:

1-->3

2-->4

3-->1

4-->2

Memory aid for this movement:

If your beginning position is 2 or less then add 2 to determine next position.

If your beginning position is 3 or more then subtract 2 to determine next position.

Every other bound will return fireteam members to initial positions.

Everyone in a four man fireteam has a 90 degree arc of responsibility (360/4). Every member should know where the arcs of responsibility are and automatically set in the proper position.

This and other team movements should be practiced until it's second nature and fluid regardless of which position one is in.

Again this is just one example in one circumstance.

Missions continue to improve.....good fun.

• 2 weeks later...

Last nights games were good in particular Liberation.

Breaking the teams up into two squads of 4 and only the two leaders using channel commander made it better for me, I pretty much only got info that I needed.

Although it was slow getting going we managed more targets completed than I'd seen before good job.

Currently working on Liberation 16 Player, with squad leader.

Limited ammo box, pre kitted members, no re spawn, but revive option and heal. With added enemy's, and air patrols at random.

May rename mission to "Liberation Impossible" by the time I finish with it.

Watch this space :)

I really do like the stealth approach some of you have been taking lately. getting the job done without drawing attention makes sense. But I think we are making a mistake at Ortega. Remeber clearing Ortega is an objective.

I think we should go to usual observation point with the pickups and the nicked jeep.

The vehicles should contain a spare kit per player.

If there are 8 of us we split into 2 groups on the 2 slopes facing Ortega.

Group 1 (m107s) deploys further back (800+metres)

Group 2 (m4s - silenced if you like) deploys at 600+ metrres left and right of the shooting linemetres in cover

When in position group 1 snipes at all available targets in the town. Group 2 stays in cover. (we need to make sure that the vegetation fix is running on server 2.

The enemy will advance and try to out flank tthe snipers. Those that manage to advance accross 200metres of open ground will be engaged by group 2.

When the enemy have been anihilated we switch to assault rifles with only 1 or 2 snipers providing cover. The AR team moves in to mop up the town and blow up the power plants.

We did this a couple of weeks ago by accident and I thought it worked out well.

What do you guys think.

We are trying to move away from respawns as off now, including me (I am dead).

So that's why I am modding existing maps to include revive option. After we have played together a bit longer and learnt more, from the more expericed players. We will evetualy remove the revive options completly.

That's how I see it going, at least on one of the servers and all it's MP maps.

Hopefully one day, we can call ourselves true tactical play.

We are trying to move away from respawns as off now, including me (I am dead).

So that's why I am modding existing maps to include revive option. After we have played together a bit longer and learnt more, from the more expericed players. We will evetualy remove the revive options completly.

That's how I see it going, at least on one of the servers and all it's MP maps.

Hopefully one day, we can call ourselves true tactical play.

I agree :)

Missions are proving popular at this time, peple are playing them to the exclusion of evo and domination. Some of these missions take 4+hours, if there is no revive, people will have no choice but to push off. I like revive as it inconveniences the team causing some embarrasment to the "dead" player, encouraging them to do better.

I have no problem with the hard core mission nights, but we shouldnt go that way for the rest of the missions.

Just my opinion