Spartans Home

Is it a helicopter? an airplane? no its a... X-49

Zathrus~SPARTA~

Ok I was going thru some military websites and ran accross this very interesting test platform for design concepts.

It if one of the R&D test flight video for a "X-49 Speedhawk. I have never seen this one before, although apparently they started flight testing in 2007

It is an ugly bird. I guess the small wings take over from the rotors when the big turbofan at the back pushes it forward fast enough. There was a concept plane called the Advancing Blade Concept which I thought was an elegant solution but it never took off (it did actually take off but not commercially). Good find.

For those of you interested in Helicopters here is a BBC Horizon documentary from the late 80s or early 90's. It is a great documentary with very clear explanations of the development of the "Chopper". The ABC is in this documentary.

haha it is an ugly thing Zeno :MSNWINK:

But my understanding is this thing is only to test various concepts that might make a helicopter faster... and cheaper than an Osprey. It looks like they modified a current Blackhawk for initial testing. It has the look of an after thought that produced a turbo-fan bolted to the tail... and new rotors. I am sure a final version would have better lines... and would not look like it had been put together under a tree somewhere :)

if all else fails they can hang some glow sticks off the bottom and have a large speaker and itll be the party chopper

Isn't that the British Army stealth version?