Spartans Home

OCZ Revo Drive failure

Zeno~SPARTA~

My PCIe revo drive has failed (at least half of it has) (55x2 in raid 0(?).

It is less than a year old so I should be able to RMA it. But I may buy an OCZ vertex 3

Question

My motherboard is a gigabyte GA-X58A-UD5

SATA ports 7 and 8 are GSATA3, is that different to SATA3?

Z

coud be..

e m u l a t e d

1. To strive to equal or excel, especially through imitation: an older pupil whose accomplishments and style I emulated.

2. To compete with successfully; approach or attain equality with.

3. Computer Science To imitate the function of (another system), as by modifications to hardware or software that allow the imitating system to accept the same data, execute the same programs, and achieve the same results as the imitated system.

was only joking (you don't know me )

Gigabyte (GSATA) is controlled by the Gigabyte chip and SATA is controlled by the Intel bridges.

So if given the choice between GSATA3 and SATA2 most likely the GSATA3 will be faster just because it's 6gb/s and not 3gb/s. I am not aware of special hard drives needed to operate with the SATA3 however you will need a hard drive that is SATA3 compatible to gain the benefit of a full 6gb/s.

Edited by EBE

coud be..

e m u l a t e d

1. To strive to equal or excel, especially through imitation: an older pupil whose accomplishments and style I emulated.

2. To compete with successfully; approach or attain equality with.

3. Computer Science To imitate the function of (another system), as by modifications to hardware or software that allow the imitating system to accept the same data, execute the same programs, and achieve the same results as the imitated system.

was only joking (you don't know me )

Gigabyte (GSATA) is controlled by the Gigabyte chip and SATA is controlled by the Intel bridges.

So if given the choice between GSATA3 and SATA2 most likely the GSATA3 will be faster just because it's 6gb/s and not 3gb/s. I am not aware of special hard drives needed to operate with the SATA3 however you will need a hard drive that is SATA3 compatible to gain the benefit of a full 6gb/s.

hope this helps

My PCIe revo drive has failed (at least half of it has) (55x2 in raid 0(?).

It is less than a year old so I should be able to RMA it. But I may buy an OCZ vertex 3

Question

My motherboard is a gigabyte GA-X58A-UD5

SATA ports 7 and 8 are GSATA3, is that different to SATA3?

Z

There are two ports that are SATA III on the Gigabyte X58A UD5 the rest are SATA II

2 x SATA 6Gb/s connectors (GSATA3_6, GSATA3_7) supporting up to 2 SATA 6Gb/s devices

All the rest are SATA II connections 3Gb/s (G_ is gigabytes chip controller mark).

http://lanoc.org/review/hardware/motherboards/4593-gigabyte-x58a-ud5

Image_12.JPG

More info on failed revo drive plz.

WARRANTY is 3 YEARS on OCZ REVO Series

Your REVO will be under RMA warrenty (if it has failed)

http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum/showthread.php?76834-RMA-d-Revo-acting-weird

SUPPORT FORUM

http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?233-OCZ-Flash-Support-And-Discussion-Forum

WITH RMA keep copies of all info/ emails / ref numbers.

RMA via SCAN.CO.UK

https://secure.scan.co.uk/aspnet/support/query.aspx?QueryType=R

IF YOU HAVE TROUBLE WITH THEM, then

http://www.ocztechnology.com/support/customer-faqs/#faq1

Firstly you have to find out which RAID mode your running?

RAID 0

RAID 1

read

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAID

Go into the RAID controller bios: see Gigabytes motherboard manual

Then you can see what the BIOS controller is seeing.

maybe teamspeak ?

YOU SHOULD BE RUNNING RAID 1 & NOT RAID 0 configuration !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The REVO is powerful & fast, so fast that RAID 0 is actually a waist of time in relation to redundancy protection of RAID 1.

If your running RAID 1 you can image back to drive 1 from

drive 0 from the RAID controller BIOS.

I'm on TS3.

I have been online using my media PC which can play games but does not have fantastic cooling (so I wont be using that too much).

I have my old pc which appeared to pack up upon the arrival of the new one. After my gardening chores I booted it up and lo and behold it worked. I am just updating some files and adding some current games. When thats done I will switch it with the current box, I will be slowish but I will be there.

Just waiting on the RMA number from OCZ so that I can send the SSD back. In the meantime I may buy a SATA 2 SSD for my backup machine (or not).

Z - Just a bit of additional information (as I can not remember if this was stated in this thread and I am too lazy to scroll back), typically these proprietary ports require drivers to be in memory prior to being utilized. these drivers sometimes reside on the motherboard driver disc and others are on an EPROM which is activated by a setting in the CMOS.

Sorry if this information is redundant.

I bought a 120gb OCZ Vertex 3 SATA3 SSD today, so now I can get about rebuilding the drive for the main PC. Oh joy.

hope it worx out just the way you want ..

and not like thisexploding-computer.jpg

greetz

• 2 weeks later...

I got the RMA back yesterday, just over 2 weeks from the initial failure, frankly I am impressed. In the meantime I had installed the operating system and everything else onto another SSD. I had hoped to copy an image onto the Revodrive. However the Revo has a raid controller and windows does not recognize it. So i had to install windows onto it and add the drivers at that stage. Windows is just installing now. I only have to add a couple of things (ARMA for instance). I have steam on another drive so once I install the steam exe and point it to the correct drive it will be ready immediately.

Luckily my backup PC has everything on it, so I can take my time with the main install.

Thanks Viii for getting me through my first RMA.

PS I will keep the box this time.

• 7 months later...

After 7 months the RMA'd Revo drive failed (yesterday). I had recently made an image of the drive onto a Raptor, but as luck would have it that has failed as well. I had the partially built SATA 3 SSD ready to go so I quickly installed that and am just updating and adding programs as required.

The failure is exactly the same as the last time, a revo drive is 2x55gb in RAID 0, one of the 55's failed so everything is lost. I am done with this sort of drive and will stick with SATA SSD's.

Thank you for the heads up Zeno.. Sorry of the accident you went thru, but I know your pain... Do you remember I had a 1.5TB HDD failing twice in a row within 1 month?

Between reinstall and backups and swapping I was simply going nuts!!!!

I had a RAID 0 config on 2 standard 250GB WDs for 1 yr and a half, I never had a problem. It s weird that that Revo is suffering this issue. However I wonder if is the kind of controller they have on the board. If the controller fails some sync the RAID 0 fails.

I do believe better in the single SATA SSD, holding the opportunity to set 2 in RAID thru the BIOS Raid config.

After 7 months the RMA'd Revo drive failed (yesterday). I had recently made an image of the drive onto a Raptor, but as luck would have it that has failed as well. I had the partially built SATA 3 SSD ready to go so I quickly installed that and am just updating and adding programs as required.

The failure is exactly the same as the last time, a revo drive is 2x55gb in RAID 0, one of the 55's failed so everything is lost. I am done with this sort of drive and will stick with SATA SSD's.

So that's where you've been.

That's bad luck, or should I say BAD ENGINEERING on the manufacturers side.

Note to self, never recommend or buy REVO products.

So that's where you've been.

That's bad luck, or should I say BAD ENGINEERING on the manufacturers side.

Note to self, never recommend or buy REVO products.

I've been hearing bad things about OCZ SSDs to be quite honest. I think at this point in time Crucial and Intel make better ones.

REVO is a different type of SSD, it's a PCIe version with open face & two drives working in stripe or mirror.

It's more exposed to thermal, contamination & stress than a 2.5" SSD.

Also it used some special drivers/firmware...

OCZ normal SSD drives have been good.