Spartans Home

Dead Island

Watchman~SPARTA~

Anyone got this yet and if so what's it like?

I've read early reviews that suggest it's buggy and vary from no good to still good, despite the bugs.

After that amazing teaser video I quite fancy getting this but would appreciate some first hand reviews......

L4D2 fulfills all my Zombie bashing needs at the mo and this just looks too bloody scary, anyway I am looking forward to BF2 for my next PvP/TvT thrills

Been watching my friends play and stream this for some time now. To me, it really misses the mark and ends up being pretty mediocre. Beyond the bugs, it's an OK game. It's a mish-mash of ideas that generally work to make a relatively entertaining game, but it's nothing new or groundbreaking. It's like the gameplay of Borderlands and Fallout with zombies and a lot of melee combat. The story and characters are pretty forgettable which is a real shame considering the emotional trailer it had. The game winds down to being a lot of quests and a mind numbing amount of zombie bashing. Fun at first but quickly becomes a non-stop clickfest with no real strategy or challenge other than to dodge swings and find/upgrade better weapons. The RPG elements are an interesting change, but I'm not sold that it really works in this sort of setting. Even simple hammers will give you strange attributes like health regen and elemental damage. And any amount of fear the game might have is negated by the fact that dying isn't really that big of a deal. Especially in co-op. You simply wait a few seconds and you respawn with a little less money.

All bugs aside (and the fact that co-op is completely broken unless you log onto Hamachi servers) I personally am not convinced it's worth 50, or even 40 dollars. The action doesn't get much more interesting, it just takes longer and requires more patience. Stick with L4D imo.

Only played 117 minutes so far but I have to say I'm thoroughly enjoying it and so far (touch wood) I haven't come across a single bug. Graphics are set to MAX on everything and I'm getting 100+ fps though I need to look into getting Vsync to work as there is slight tearing when looking around fast.

Only played SP though so no idea how buggy the MP is yet.

Only played 117 minutes so far but I have to say I'm thoroughly enjoying it and so far (touch wood) I haven't come across a single bug. Graphics are set to MAX on everything and I'm getting 100+ fps though I need to look into getting Vsync to work as there is slight tearing when looking around fast.

Only played SP though so no idea how buggy the MP is yet.

They patched it yesterday/the day before and fixed a bunch of things, so if you only started playing recently you probably didn't get the unstable version.

Also, (unless they fixed it) Dead Island cannot be run with dual-monitors unless you disable one monitor. Otherwise it will just display a black screen and never show you the main menu.

But like I said...zombie-skull bashing is never boring.

They patched it yesterday/the day before and fixed a bunch of things, so if you only started playing recently you probably didn't get the unstable version.

Also, (unless they fixed it) Dead Island cannot be run with dual-monitors unless you disable one monitor. Otherwise it will just display a black screen and never show you the main menu.

But like I said...zombie-skull bashing is never boring.

They must have fixed that too mate cos I have dual monitors and it works fine.

Multiplayer is still unstable/unusable. If you want to play online you'll have to use 3rd-party Hamachi servers instead of the official ones (at least in America). That's been the only way we could get together with any sort of consistency.

I must be REALLY lucky then, because again, I have USB 5.1 surround headphones and I get no sound issues at all.

So far the game has been sweet, and being able to turn on Vsync to stop the tearing issues is a big bonus as well as the other things this utility lets you adjust.

I bought it. What kills me are the sound bugs. I wear USB headphones and the static noise is terrible. Also in game voice chat is on by default and has no way to turn off without jacking with your steam client.

I get that issue too with my G35 (which simulates 7.1). It also seems like DI always jacks its volume way up, or maybe turns TS3 down...regardless, I always have to fiddle with the sound controls after I start it to hear TS3 while not getting my eardrums blown out by DI.

Don't do it. It has a niche, but the bugs really kill the experience, and the replayability is 0. Save the cash for BF3, or if you have a burning hole in your pocket go by Red Orchestra 2 and play with the boys.

Sorry. I only play with men.

[YT]pc1am3KyYgA[/YT]

I've decided to give this a miss, for now at least. £30 on Steam so I'll hold off for a better sale chance.

They have Borderlands GOTY for 20, might get that instead.

Borderlands has been very fun. And there is a ton of content, including the DLC. I do agree with Hajimoto that the replay-ability of it is low, but that will take a while. I think about 10 of us have the game now and have been playing it on and off the the last 2 months.