Spartans Home

I ordered a new shotgun.

MedicSN6

It should be here on Thursday or Friday. It's paid for, I just need to do my NFA paperwork when I pick it up.

I ordered the Remington 870 Express Tactical

Gg7vf.png?8223

I have ordered an ATI Tactical Stock with Grip.

52.jpg

The Tactical Stock has a commercial tube so I have purchased a Magpul MOE stock in black.

MAG400%20%20Black-2T.jpg

http://store.magpul.com/product/MAG400/60

I will be purchasing a Tac-Star 6 round shell carrier plate for the side of it as well. http://www.tacstar.com/home/6-shot.php

tac_ss_6shot.jpg

I need to think about a sling and sling plate, a case for it and maybe a scabbard for my SHTF kit.

I am also thinking about getting a couple bandoleers for quick grab and go if I need it.

18-820-IMG1_L.jpeg

http://www.blackhawk.com/product/55rnd-Shotgun-Bandoleer,820,1388.htm

I am really looking forward to getting behind this shotgun and putting some rounds on paper to test the pattern at different ranges. I know Durka-Durka got one of these recently (I think) so i am curious to see if it was a different model and how he fairs with it. Durka?

I will try and post some images of it and maybe do an unboxing video if I have time.

I have the 870 Express. I like that choke! It doesn't have the rear rails or "tactical" stock, but is the same in every other aspect. I just got that standard scabbard everybody sells and it doesn't fit as snug with the side saddle installed. It's more "round." That being said, I'd rather have the side saddle than the scabbard, since it's so much more useful. I like the standard stock just because I feel more confident firing it for home defense. I can fire it from the hip or from my shoulder. The pistol grip would force me to bring it up to my shoulder every time. One thing to be aware of when buying a foregrip is that with many brands, even those apparently made for the 870, you have to do some sawing to get it to fit. I like my factory grip just fine, even though it doesn't look as cool.

The angled foregrip may not work as well on a shot gun since you'll be pumping it in two different directions, but since you already have one, why the hell not? Weight is a huge issue with the 870. I have a 5-shot side saddle and then what's in the tube. A bandolier over my shoulder would not only weigh a lot, but would also interfere if I had a backpack on, just a thought. I've heard the weight of the ammo decreases significantly if you wear a sombrero. *shrugs*

I never understood someone putting optics on a shotgun, unless they're shooting slugs, which is perfectly legitimate. I'll leave you with this thought.....

Holy Shit! Dragon's Breath is awesome.

If you can get them to actually work like that. I had a couple 20 years ago, poof, one big poof, and that was it. Laughed like crazy.

Like the other gun-show gimmicky rounds, they are tacticool but not all they seem to be.

Have had a red dot on my 870 for awhile, nice to keep the slugs and buck on target with both eyes open.

Knoxx /blackhawk stock if you're doing it all day.

Surefire foregrip light if you're doing it all night.

im really happy with my Franchie Spas 12. Has a button on bottom of pump handle, Click it and lock it forward for semi auto, or click it and pull back for pump action

Spas12.jpg

Or all i ever needed is my Ithica Road blocker 10ga. One shot and everthing in view jumps full of lead with #4 goose shot

500px-Roadblocker_a.jpg

I don't screw around with second best, with my browning auto 5

Edited by Athlon64~SPARTA~

I like the arrow but I am fairly certain that trying that is A. dangerous and B. stupid and irresponsible...

Then again if I was an intruder and I was confronted with a homeowner that had a shotgun with a FUCKING ARROW in the muzzle I would GLADLY go to PMITA Prison instead of getting shot.

I want to know how he fired it... what kind of shell he used.

hey all I got a stupid question! I am new to firearms and I want to go to the range and do some skeet shooting I am eyeing a Remington 1100 is this a good gun to skeet? What should the barrel length be? Im thinking of buying used is there anything I should be looking for when buying used? Are there other models and manufactures i should consider? Any input would be greatly appreciated thanks!

Alot of it is personal preference. Some people like heavy, some prefer light. Whatever you do, make sure you hold the gun before you buy it. However, you definitely do not have to spend as much as you will on the 1100 to get a decent starter gun. I think even walmart sells a remington 870 for like 300 and its fairly decent to start with (composite stock for bare bones model). Also, for skeet shooting a lot will have to do with what shot you use and if you can change the choke on the barrel. The barrel length is also a factor for shot spread. BTW shot = the bb's in the shell. All this has to do with shot spread. Breaking a clay pigeon only takes a bb or two, but to get that sexy powder break you need to have a tight spread and be on target.

When you're shooting skeet make sure to stay on target or just in front through the trigger pull. Most people will have difficulty because they squeeze the trigger, close their eyes, and stop leading the clay. Also, practice your timing. Shotguns have no range and the longer you wait to acquire the target, the less likely you'll see effective shots.

If you have any questions, let me know.

Experience: Shooting winged targets for 20+ years including duck, geese, pheasant, dove, etc.

Choke Explanation

Great link on the basics of barrel chokes.

The choke is a tube that goes in on the end of the barrel. Not all shotguns can accept them. Its all part of the research. They're also not completely neccessary. Just gives you extra control.

Another great read:

Link

Edit:

Sorry for not answering the first part. Yes, typically the longer the barrel the less spread. However, it's all relative as every gun with every different ammo is different.

Edited by Yankee~SPARTA~

The choke is the piece that goes on the front of the barrel. It reduces the spread. And, yes, the shorter the barrel the larger the spread unless it has a choke on it. I've never shot birds, but shooting skeet is really fun. I believe most of the people who did it when I was a kid used longer barrels.

I’m going to combine several posts into one, so here goes:

Medic, nice choice on the 870, they are great guns. Mine’s an Express too, although it’s older, probably 1980s or so. I really need to take some pictures of the arsenal and post them up. I put way more rounds through my trap guns than this one though, so I kept the standard style stock. Specifically I put a Speedfeed on there, it’s a regular stock that holds 4 extra rounds, because I’m not a big fan of side saddles. ( http://www.speedfeedinc.com/productsmain.html look for the Speedfeed I stock about halfway down.) I've got 6 rounds of 00 in the tube, plus 1 in the chamber. The only reason I want extra ammo on the gun is so I can have slugs handy, and if I need more than 4 I'm in some really deep shit.

I also went with the Surefire fore-end, although I will warn you that many swivel plates require so reworking to keep them from interfering with the light. Other than that, the Surefire is awesome. I’ve never used a bandoleer, but I’ve heard that they tend to not stay very tight and getting shells out of them is tricky. I’ll recommend the Federal Tactical buckshot if you’re looking for tight patterns, it shoots sub 3” at 25 yards out of my 18” barrel.

SkeleTele, 1100’s are nice guns, but you’ll be able to find an 870 much cheaper. Pumps tend to be less finicky with ammo than semi’s and you can work it fast enough for skeet. I would definitely recommend a 12 gauge, it’s way more versatile for clay games than 20. Most people I know shoot a 26” barrel in any autoloader (pump, semi or Mossberg's crazy bolt action shotgun). Double or single barrel guns tend to have longer barrels but the overall length of the gun is pretty similar since you don’t have any appreciable action length.

While barrel length does have some effect on pattern, the choke is the primary contributor. Get a barrel with screw-in chokes and you’ll be fine. Skeet is typically shot with a cylinder or improved cylinder choke while trap is shot with improved modified or even full chokes.

Yankee’s advice about holding the gun before you buy is critical, you want to make sure it feels comfortable and ideally puts about 2” between your nose and the thumb of your shooting hand. His advice about shooting is also great; most new shooters don’t follow through. Make sure the gun is moving smoothly through the target before, during and after your trigger pull. You’ll be dusting them in no time.

Edited by OrcFace_McStompYou

Make sure the gun is moving smoothly through the target before, during and after your trigger pull. You?ll be dusting them in no time.

Thanks! kind of like a golf swing lol. I feel i could go down to my locale gun shop and have a good idea what to look for now an AA12.....o wait i mean a 870 ;)

• 2 weeks later...

One thing I found since I've bought my first firearm is that there are a ton of opinions out there and most of them stink. You can go to one place and they'll talk non-stop about a brand that has quality control issues, then go to another place and they will say everything's perfect. Unless you buy something completely off-brand that is not expected to be the best, you may get a dud. The Remington 870 has been around for a LONG time and is one of the premiere shotguns out there. You're not going to go wrong, whether it's the Express or other version. Keep it working and it will last you a lifetime.

Nice MIa, Don't get me wrong the remington 870 is a good economy pump shotgun, I have had them, and shot them. I tend to get better stuff thats a little better. You get what you pay for. Theres so many good scatterguns out there right now its hard to choose from. I tend to get better then the regular. Been there done that, now show me something better. Browning, Ithica, Winchester, Franchie,

Edited by Athlon64~SPARTA~