Spartans Home

I ordered a new shotgun.

MedicSN6

One thing I found since I've bought my first firearm is that there are a ton of opinions out there and most of them stink. You can go to one place and they'll talk non-stop about a brand that has quality control issues, then go to another place and they will say everything's perfect. Unless you buy something completely off-brand that is not expected to be the best, you may get a dud. The Remington 870 has been around for a LONG time and is one of the premiere shotguns out there. You're not going to go wrong, whether it's the Express or other version. Keep it working and it will last you a lifetime.

Given the massive number of 870s out there, there are bound to be a couple of duds. Once you get yours, go shoot it a bunch and figure out if you got one of the few bad ones. If so, don't hesitate to send it back. Remington CS is great and will make it right. One common complaint I've heard and personally witnessed is that the Winchester AA shells will cause jams. Avoid those, there are plenty of other good shells out there for busting clays/birds. For HD/self defense, find some good buckshot, #4 or larger. Birdshot is for birds.

It's not that it's impossible for birdshot to disable an attacker, and it's great for making really nasty looking flesh wounds, but it lacks the mass to reliably penetrate deep enough to be effective. Why put yourself at a disadvantage? See rule 11 below.

Edited by OrcFace_McStompYou