Spartans Home

Overkill?

$300 for 240Gb? Not in the budget.

Anyway.. SSDs may offer faster transfer rates from disk to memory. However, once game data is in RAM, the hard drive is effectively irrelevant.

With games like Arma, that do a lot of reading/writing to disk to load art assets, it helps to setup a RAM disk that holds all the most common art assets (though you really need at least 6GB of RAM to do this).

Makes the model "pop-in" issue almost non-existent.

Nice, Im not a techie but rekon ya need more than 600w ps IE J.B. Hunt trucks years ago ran 600hp engines but was governed to only 68 mph of course it was 68 up hills as well as down with very little strain on the engine which would last 3 million miles.

Also dang...... artic silver has gone way up.

The HDD at this point doesn't really matter. I fully intend to have a SSD... just not seeing much as far as cost/benefit right now. The OS does not need to be on a SSD. However, game files (depending on the game), could definitely benefit from them (when the price is right). So, for now, it's affordable (not quite) middle ground for me.

I've even considered leaving the HDD out and using what I already have until I get a SSD.

Unless you just particularly like the look of that case, that part of it seems overkill. From the description, it does have quite a few fans, but it seems it was primarily designed for a water cooling setup. Seems to me you could get a better deal on the case and have a few extra bucks to throw into another part.

Looks like a good system, though.

- JHunter

i do like the fan controls on this case, too. The controls on my last one were inside the case (sure, that makes sense). But, I'm sure that can found elsewhere as well. I'll look into it. Thanks.

As for proper water cooling... highly unlikely. The included 'cpu cooler' is technically a liquid cooler, just self contained.

Congrats on the order, hope you like it....

One point about SSD's, there not all about speed, there other main feature is reliability.

With a mean (average) life if 15 years, you can forget about disk failure in comparison to a spindle HD.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solid-state_drive

http://www.solidstatestorage.co.uk/10b.html

For budgets I would always go for a 120Gb min SSD as BOOT

• 2 weeks later...

So is this system overkill?

Mobo: EVGA Classified SR-2

CPU: 2x Intel Xeon X5650 Westmere 2.66GHz LGA 1366 95W 6 core (overclocked, total 12 cores)

Memory: 6x SAMSUNG 8GB DDR3 1333 ECC Registered Server Memory (total 48Gb of ECC/registered memory)

SSD: OCZ RevoDrive 3 X2 series 480GB PCI-Express 2.0 x4

HDD: 2x Western Digital Caviar Black 2TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.5"

GFX: 2x EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI

Optical: Pioneer Black Blu-ray Burner SATA

PSU: CORSAIR Professional Series Gold AX1200 1200W ATX12V

Case: LIAN LI PC-V2120B Black Aluminum ATX Full Tower Computer Case

Est. for complete water cooling solution: $1000

Total cost: $8,575.98

PS. I'm half kidding

Edited by warzer0

For gaming ? Is it going to be 8x faster then 1000$ PC?

It will last 8x longer before upgrade?

Its not chick magnet you can take sturday night out.

No but it'd be kinda nice to be able to be able to have 7 or 8 VMs running in the background, half of them doing a compile job and playing ARMA 2 at the same time without slowdown...

Plus I've finally realized that the probability of a chick ever going out with me is about the same as me figuring out a practical and inexpensive solution to cold fusion AND the answer to global warming using a paper clip and chewing gum at the same time.

Edited by warzer0