Spartans Home

Windows 7 32bit & 64bit SP1 (service pack) out now

NoScream~SPARTA~

sp1-7.png

Microsoft sets Feb. 22 as Windows 7 SP1 public launch

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9208864/Microsoft_sets_Feb._22_as_Windows_7_SP1_public_launch

What's included in Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (SP1)

Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (SP1) is an important update that includes previously released security, performance, and stability updates for Windows 7. SP1 also includes new improvements to features and services in Windows 7, such as improved reliability when connecting to HDMI audio devices, printing using the XPS Viewer, and restoring previous folders in Windows Explorer after restarting.

I installed the update via Windows Update and it does not boot to the desktop. I have reset my bios to defaults just to have a stable baseline and it still doesn't boot to desktop. It will display the Windows loading screen then act like it is going to the desktop but it just stays black, no mouse, icons, wallpaper, or anything. It will stay like this (all night last night) until I reset the machine.

Any tips?

Ouch, that is not nice.

Unfortunately is a very young Pack, so we don t know yet what kind of bugs can generate.

Your symptom is something I saw often when a machine is stuck from an attempt to resume from Sleep. Unable to re-load the frozen data, get stuck on that black screen.

Usually just rebooting solve the issue with a message from OS saying it failed to restore and give you the option to reboot. this is not your case tho.

Did you try a standard reboot in SAFE MODE? If that is succesful, just start that way, be sure it loads and then shutdown and reboot normally. Sometimes that is enough to reset some stuck procedures.

If that is not enough, but you are able to start at least in Safe Mode, you might try to go in Control Panel and just roll back the SP1 update, it might work..

Anyway, google around for similar issues.. I am going by logic, but I have no data to backup my suggestions.

Ouch, that is not nice.

Unfortunately is a very young Pack, so we don t know yet what kind of bugs can generate.

Your symptom is something I saw often when a machine is stuck from an attempt to resume from Sleep. Unable to re-load the frozen data, get stuck on that black screen.

Usually just rebooting solve the issue with a message from OS saying it failed to restore and give you the option to reboot. this is not your case tho.

Did you try a standard reboot in SAFE MODE? If that is succesful, just start that way, be sure it loads and then shutdown and reboot normally. Sometimes that is enough to reset some stuck procedures.

If that is not enough, but you are able to start at least in Safe Mode, you might try to go in Control Panel and just roll back the SP1 update, it might work..

Anyway, google around for similar issues.. I am going by logic, but I have no data to backup my suggestions.

Yes, I tried Safe Mode and it went to the desktop screen where it says SAFE MODE in the four corners and has the build number at the top. It also showed a cursor I could move but nothing else. I could not C-A-D. Nor could I click anything with the mouse left or right.

I will try to do a windows repair and see where that gets me. If that doesn't work, I'll be installing windows on yet another drive.

UPDATE:

I have had to work the past two days so not much time was spent working on my issue. This morning however, I managed to ry a few things and I finally got an option to restore to an earlier restore point, an option that apparently isn't displayed without putting a Windows 7 install disc into the drive. At least this is how it was in my case.

So, after trying to repair, looking for a restore point, reinstall Win7 all together, and looking again for the restore option before finally scrubbing the drive, the machine went through checkdisk on its own and restored itself automatically. I must have restarted the machine about 15 times and nothing like this happened. The only explanation I have is that either Watson lives in my rig, or SkyNet is real. Who knew?

After all that, at least I can play Minecraft again. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

anybody else had any issues with this update?

still not done it yet in fear!

thanks.

Done 2 PCs no prob but the wifes laptop is being a bugger

After I updated to sp1, ACE froze on me in the game every 5 to 10 minutes. It froze for about 30-45 seconds. After Haji suggested to update NVIDIA and directx drivers, I'm back to normal again.