Spartans Home

Lockon/Flaming Cliffs 2/Blackshark/A10 - help

Zeno~SPARTA~

I am a bit lost. I am interested in flight sims though I have never been very good at them.

Do I need to buy

Lockon

Flaming cliffs 2

DCS Blackshark

DCS A10

I dont wnat to make the purchase and end up with the wrong stuff

Sorry if these are noob questions

I am a bit lost. I am interested in flight sims though I have never been very good at them.

Do I need to buy

Lockon

Flaming cliffs 2

DCS Blackshark

DCS A10

I dont wnat to make the purchase and end up with the wrong stuff

Sorry if these are noob questions

Zeno in order for FC2 to install it looks for an installation of LOMAC. You simply install an "evaluation copy" of LOMAC (which is not sold anymore online) and when FC2 sees that, it installs.

Any DCS distribution is a stand alone product. They get along with each other (so I've read) but they are not reliant on each other or LOMAC to install or execute.

Hope this helps.

Edited by Hajimoto

Actually right now as it stands, Blackshark and Flaming Cliffs 2.0 go together *Haji was correct on the order of install for FC2* But DCS:A-10 is not compatible with Blackshark just yet. The main reason for that is they are in beta testing phase still. They do plan on bringing the Blackshark over to the A-10 updated engine, but the fate of FC2 is still up in the air from this point on. There is no word on whether they will bring FC2 along with Blackshark to be playable with people that have the A-10C.

If you want to start getting into Modern Combat flight sims, then I believe Lockon is a great starter. The flight models are very simplistic. 1 - 3 button startup and very forgiving in the flying aspect. You probably will learn a lot from flying around with this and I hope you continue along and get DCS:A-10C and fly it in full realism soon :). I would be more than happy to come fly with ya when and if you want. I have both FC2 and Blackshark. :)

Q) What you want to fly Heli or Plane ?

If Heli then get BS

If Plane then ether FC2 or A10C Beta (but it is playable just trying it now)

Of if you want to be greedy like me, buy em all. LOL

I prefer BS which can play along side FC2 with a patched BS to 1.02 me thinks. And will play alongside A10C in final release.

So a few sparties in BS and Migs ect all in the same mission.

I purchased A10c aswell and it is really awesome but however extremely difticult and realistic. In order to (if u want to do it correctly from the very beginning) u have to do all the start up proceederewhich can take 5 to 10 minutes...

The avionics of DCS A10c are simply outstanding. It feels really like flying. The weapons system is still a little bit confusing for me especially guided weapons like the maverick...but i am working on it.

In general i would say if u have the patience and the time then u get a really great flight sim with DCS A10c but if you want fast instant action then this would be a waste of money. You will definately need hours and hours to get familiar with the a10 keeping in mind that u will make progress in small steps.

I am enjoying it much and hope that i will improve my flying skills to a point where I can maybe do a coop flight...but i think i am still far away from that.

In general i would say if u have the patience and the time then u get a really great flight sim with DCS A10c but if you want fast instant action then this would be a waste of money. You will definately need hours and hours to get familiar with the a10 keeping in mind that u will make progress in small steps.

I would like to point out that what Kav says for the most part is very accurate but I am not sure his post does the "GAME" mode any justice. A-10C can be played in either "SIMULATION" mode or "GAME" mode for a casual game experience. Now I know that casual is a relative term here, but there is a HUGE difference between "SIMULATION" mode and "GAME" mode when it comes to the complexities of flight in game.

This post is not a flame to Kav or anyone else but should be read as a supplement to his comments which I felt did not highlight the gaming modes enough for a reader to get a full understanding of the dimension the modes offer.

Edited by Hajimoto

I would like to point out that what Kav says for the most part is very accurate but I am not sure his post does the "GAME" mode any justice. A-10C can be played in either "SIMULATION" mode or "GAME" mode for a casual game experience. Now I know that casual is a relative term here, but there is a HUGE difference between "SIMULATION" mode and "GAME" mode when it comes to the complexities of flight in game.

This post is not intended to flame Kav or anyone else it is just a supplement to his comments that i feel were not highlighted enough in order for the reader to get a full understanding of the title.

Absolutely agree with the sentiment. BS was great in 'Game' mode for casual flight sim'ers like me, you could get straight into the action without being overwhelmed with just keeping the damn thing in the air.

If A-10C has the same level of adjustments as BS then I may even dabble myself at some point.

Edited by Dai-San~SPARTA~

This post is not a flame to Kav or anyone else but should be read as a supplement to his comments which I felt did not highlight the gaming modes enough for a reader to get a full understanding of the dimension the modes offer.

Agreed. Maybe its because I am still making my way through the training missions and reading the flight manual simultanously...

Very confusing... :)

Hi Zeno,

I am so happy to see you might be interested in Flight Sim !!

I have been on Falcon 4, LockOn from 1 to FC2 and i will probably be on A-10 later on.

As other said, it depends on what you feel like to do and really how much you want to get involved with the flight sim. what i noticed as personal experience is that the flight sim can take the same level of passion as Arma2. Both experiences are great if played with a solid team where you can grow up with, training with and most importantly "do something with" because if you are going to flight as Lone Wolf, you will never really enjoy the meaning of a flight sim.

With that said,

FC2 offers a simplified level of simulation which can still be stretched to certain limit offering a valid and engaging simulation experience. Avionic is largely simplified, nonetheless is not an arcade. The flight model is decent and using the weapons in a satisfactory manner requires experience. On FC2 you will fly Fighters and Bombers and that can be interesting because provides a wider experience, especially in multiplayer.

As a budget is not killing your wallet. FC2 costs 30 bucks and a Lockon copy to enable the installation process can be potentially found for free. Once installed, it will not check for the LockOn old copy, although i would not suggest to unistall it anyway.

FC2 can be played with a normal joystick with onboard throttle and lots of keyboard commands OR (and strongly suggested) a set of HOTAS (joy and throttle fully programmable) which can be an interesting investment for your wallet. Having experience about that, i can tell you, do not try to go cheap on that, because you will regret your decision.

A-10 is the Next generation solid flight sim. It has the "game" mode and the "sim" mode. however, if you approach A-10, is not for the Game mode.

you will be sucked in a solid manual, a lot of Avionic, real instrumentation, real ramp-up departure procedures, real weapon systems and so on.

A-10 will require time and dedication to be masterd, providing the same level of higher personal reward, however you will be flying ONLY a Bomber and CAS support aircraft. Real and focused.

A-10 should not be approached with a cheap single joystick. The experience makes sense if you have a well done set and you will customize your commands they way you want it. your Joystick and throttle will be your brother for long time on this experience, you wanna have it good. All about A-10 is a different economical investment. It costs way more as a set up, will give you way more satisfaction.

With that said, good luck.. the choice is all yours.

I also do believe not necessarely someone has to start with the lower product to grow up later. If you know what you want, get the frikking best and Master it ! :)

Thanks for all the input guys.

Blackshark has been installed and I have attempted my first flights in sim mode. Using a youtube video as a guide I managed to do the full start up. took off and flew for about 3 mins before something broke and I crashed. Interesting sense of achievement. Much more practice needed.

I have downloaded A10 and will buy it soon.

I will buy FC2 when I get my hands on a copy of Lock On

Zeno, fancy hooking up for some Co-op fun on BS?

I was clearing some stuff off my download drive and thought "What's in this Black Shark folder"? lo and behold, rather than selling it after I uninstalled it, i realised I had bought it on D2D so it's all reinstalled and ready to go :allgood:

Alright,

Thats true. A lot of talking and no action.

I have my FC2 ready to roll. That perfectly works with BS if u are gonna fly only choppers.

Do we wanna join some dedi online or u wanna host some practice stuff?

If you feel really ready for a public server, check for the 104th server online.

Very good place with mature pilots flying there.

Just let me know and i ll be up with my F15 :)

Ok for you guys looking for Lock On, I have uploaded my ISO you only need install this to install FC2, it won't play.

Zipped with Winzip into 29 parts of 25mg sections, ISO is Alcohol 120% . mdf, Demon Tools should mount.

LockOn ISO here

Downloading, thanks bud

Dai and Evil D that would be fun, I need to practice a bit though. I have now managed to start up in sim mode (using notes) take off, fly a route, unfortunately at some point the rotor blades shatter (this happens everytime). Even the flight was laughable, it was waddling along

I am never going on a public server, I will only make a fool of myself with people I know, lol.

Cobs, do you know what it takes to put FC2/BSA10 on our server? Do they need a graphics card?

Downloading, thanks bud

Dai and Evil D that would be fun, I need to practice a bit though. I have now managed to start up in sim mode (using notes) take off, fly a route, unfortunately at some point the rotor blades shatter (this happens everytime). Even the flight was laughable, it was waddling along

I am never going on a public server, I will only make a fool of myself with people I know, lol.

Cobs, do you know what it takes to put FC2/BSA10 on our server? Do they need a graphics card?

Trust me when I say that flying the Blackshark is by far the hardest of any of the aircraft to fly. Hop into the cockpit of an A-10 in A-10C or any of the aircraft in LOMAC (Lock On Modern Air Combat) and you'll have no troubles whatsoever. Damn things can fly themselves. The munitions systems are quite a bit simpler to use in LOMAC as well, and don't really require in-depth training like in the DCS games (though it doesn't hurt to do the training missions anyway).

I would love to do some multi in LOMAC/A10C/BS if anyone is up for it. I still need to buy FC2 though.

Downloading, thanks bud

Thats probably due to either a hard turn right, to much collective, over speed or a combination of one of the 3 at the same time. When you and of those, you run into a huge risk of having your bottom blade high five your top blades which leads to a really fun time down to the ground =P If I can catch you guys flying sometime, Ill jump in with ya. =)

I See a whole lota talkin, we need to get together and fly now, I am still getting my track IR, flight stick and throttle dialed. But I feel that I can fly at anytime if anyone is up to it. :thumbsup_anim:

I am down with any of the following:

Falcon 4.0 Allied Force

Free Falcon 5

IL-2

DSC A-10C

LOMAC

LOMAC FC1

LOMAC FC2

FSX

FSX Acceleration

Just say when and where and I will spool up the necessary components.