Spartans Home

Mouse Recommendations?

Durka-Durka~SPARTA~

Anybody got a mouse recommendation? I'm currently using the Microsoft Wireless Laser Mouse 5000, and was really happy with the layout of the controls (thumb for back button, smooth scroll wheel) but it's a royal pain in the ass to work. At random times, the clicks will not register unless you hit it real hard, and then it will register as a double click. I need something for working with fine points like photos, so need a high resolution if that makes sense, but I'm not sure what to get over at newegg. And no, I do not want to spend more than $40-50 for the mouse :) Oh, this will be used more for work than gaming. Any ideas out there? Thanks!

EDIT: Also, what's the latest in sensitivity technology? I see 2 options at newegg: Laser and Optical. I know Laser is the best choice, but what's the new lingo to look out for?

The measure you are looking for to determine high sensitivity in a mouse is called DPI.

The highest the DPI the more sensitive and precise is the moviment.

It is also important you can switch from High to low DPI because sometimes you need greater precision with larger movement of your hand to be sure you hit the precise spot you want.

Imagine DPI for a mouse like Pixel for a monitor. Definetely the highest resolution in pixel will give the best overall picture, however the ability to get to the big pixel resolution (the lowest possible or greater zoom abilities) will allow you to correct a minimal particular. With a mouse is the same.

I noticed anyway is very difficult you will ever go higher than 2000 DPI in a common life application, so check these 2 models perfectly in range with your budget:

Microsoft SideWinder X3

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826105324

or

Microsoft SideWinder X5

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826105223

You should be fine with potentially both, but up to you the final judgment.

I have owned several gaming mice over the last couple of years and my newest one ....Belive it or not is the Razer Boomslang CE. Yes a mouse that technologically is way behind the rest of the field (from 2007). Still its one of the best iv´e had so far. The shape is different from the rest but it seems to suit my hand and the 1800 DPI is realy good as an allround setting both precision and travel.

Bought it for only 25 bucks on sale. I think it retails at around 50 bucks

Durka doesn t really need to get fancy on this mouse. He said is gonna be mostly for work but needs accuracy and high definition.

Laser would be the best tracking solution and res at least up 2000 DPI, switchable back and forth.

Wireless or wired is not a major issue when it comes to photoshop controls.

Thanks guys. As Batwing said, I don't wanna get fancy, but it seems like I'm going to have to pay a little more to get the definition that I need in Photoshop. I'm going to have to go with wireless because I've been on a wired mouse for a day or two, and the constant jinking to the left because the cord was caught is so annoying that it does more harm than good, especially doing a complicated task in PS. I've looked at that Logitech Performance MX mouse, but it's just too darned expensive. Oh, and I have smallish hands :banana:

It is too bad you can't go with a corded mouse.

This link goes to one of the best mice I have ever had. I love the thing as it has "DPI change on the fly" with a button push.

I have owned mice more expensive than this one but it has them beat hands down in my opinion.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826161004

• 3 weeks later...

Well as an update I splurged and spent a hundred frickin dollars on a mouse that better last me at least 5 years lol. I got the logitech Performance Mouse MX, and honestly at this point there's not a lot of difference in it and my last mouse that I wore out. I like the smooth clicking action, and I haven't had any kind of interferrence in signals yet (only had it half a day), but the sensitivity is about the same as my old Microsoft Moust 5000. I'm hoping I bought this thing for its durability.

- sweating in TN.

Seriously Durka, my photoshop skills improved greatly when I went to a Pen and Pad device. It is like writing and drawing on digital paper. It took a little time to get used to it but I am far better at PS now.

If you already have a decent mouse think about investing in a drawing tablet. Info here: http://graphicssoft.about.com/od/aboutgraphics/a/graphicstablets.htm

Yeh I looked at the tablets and heard all the reccomendations, but I just never could get used to them. I think it had something to do with looking at a screen, but drawing on some invisible pad. If I were looking directly at what I was drawing on, it might be easier. Oh well, maybe next time.