Spartans Home

KIA

So, I took my PC to a LAN party this weekend. Instead of playing COD4 as planned.. I've spent the whole day trying to recover corrupted files. So far, not so good, I'm afraid. So, until I can attempt to recover as much as possible before reformatting the beast, I'm going to be a bit MIA. I can still access TS and forums from my laptop, but its a mac... So, see y'all in game asap!

Ty

Sorry about that.

I ve not been at a LAN party in long time and actually my PC is really too big and heavy to be transported easily, but If i was thinking of LAN parties today, i guess i 'd get an hard drive just for that, with the few settings and games i need for the event and that s it.

Depending where u go, it looks like it became the perfect enjoyment for ppl trying to hack your stuff or just spread silly viruses.

Thhen, if all is in good faith, you can still get a virus from the network if someone else has it.

However, it is certanly anooying...

Sometimes that doesn't even help, Your computer being next to someone elses is all it takes man

I did a terrible job of trying to roll the "LAN party" into a joke similar to a "Frat party" or something, hence the "wear protection" statement.

Please note failed attempt at humor....... hook please!

Here's a bit I'm confusted about... First, though, some history....

(Warning: the remainder of this post is largely for the "technically inclined".)

I have two HDD's in that box. Originally, one held Windows, the other, Linux, for development. Also, originally, I had the Linux drive as the master and the Windows drives as slave. I booted through GRUB. I eventually quit using that particular Linux install for development. So, instead of having to boot to Windows through something I'm not using, I simply switched the Windows drive to master and booted directly to it. I did this by switching the SATA cables connecting them to the board.

Now, for the confusing part... When I first booted at the party... GRUB loaded. Personally, I'm not sure how that works.

You know the rest.

Hi there :)

Well, let's say that most probably you have abeen a bit confused on your procedure and there the mess started.

First of all your statement about Master and Slave drivers is wrong when you are talking about SATA drives. SATA does not master and slave anymore, each one drive has a unique ID. You should use the BIOS to set which one is going to boot up, using the Boot Sequence menu and not swapping drives internally.

However, most probably what is going on on your system is as following:

a) Your Linux drive is the one having the ACTIVE partition. The Active partition is the one that BIOS recognizes as valid to execute a boot process.

b- you swapped the 2 drives, so on the Boot sequence possibly SATA 1 was set to boot first (and was working because the Linux drive can boot), now is not working because the Win drive most probably has NO ACTIVE partition.

c) The boot sequence fails on the Win drive but probably is set to try on the next drive, say SATA 2, now being the Linux drive. It is working because Linux IS the Actiive partition.

d) You have FILE NOT FOUND issue now because probably switching the 2 drives you might messed up the letters (C becoming D and viceversa), consequentely the system is looking for files with wrong path. I am not 100% positive on this, but could be an explanation. Theoretically if you swap drives back on their original position, you are going to solve the issue, if is not too late.

Edited by Batwing

• 2 weeks later...

Un-freaking-believable!! After everything this pc has gone through recently, mother nature decided to take out it's psu (if I'm lucky!) during a storm last night! So, until I can get it tested and fixed, I'm down for the count... Again!

If it's just the psu, it'll be a quick fix. I doubt I can afford to replace much more than that...

Time will tell...

Ouch !!

That sucks big time !

well, some good PSU can intercept a strike, but unfortunately is way more common that also the MB get compromised on these kind of events.

Something many people disregard is to invest about 100 bucks on a decent Surge Protector. If you think, that is like getting the "extra 1 year warranty" from the manufacturer.

Nowadays, a gaming rig has a PSU in average for 60+ bucks and a MB for at least 180+ bucks, so.. spending 100 on that protector, in average should give you peace of mind.