Spartans Home

ArmA 2 Arrow Head - Your comments here

Batwing~SPARTA~

Alright,

it looks like I got a version called "Combined Operations" from Sprocket. So, i am not sure if this applies to all of the other versions you will get out there.

Installation goes straight into the Arma 2 folder. During installation I had a feeling it was overwriting many Arma2 files if not all of them. Also installed patch 1.07 (which I already had).

At the end of process i have a new con to launch Operation Arrowhead. I was a bit concerned about the overwriting part of the installation, so i tested my normal Arma2 and the Arma 2 ACE and it looks like is working fine and I can connect to Sparta servers.

Once in game, OA is not giving me any special thrill so far. It really looks identical to Arma2 with the exception there is a new campaign to play in siingle player.

I played the new Campaign only 10 minutes, but I don t see any substantial difference on landscape, graphic, graphic engine and so forth.

They said it was a stand alone expansion, but basically what it does it install Arma2 plus some minimal Modifications and a new Campaign ?

Too early to say, but... is this worthing 35 bucks? Actually there are MODs for free doing what they did and on the previous 1.05 patch they gave us a new SP Campaign as well, for free.

Please post your comments. Maybe I do not play that often to catch differences more expert players can catch.

@Batwing, are you sure you started Operation Arrowhead...I'm getting an entirely different landscape and different vehicles!

So far my impression is that the game runs smoother, fires up a tidbit quicker. I tried accessing Armory..sucks I got unlock a few things to try them out....might have to modify some profiles files...muh-haha

As a side note...I really dig the terrain...but I'm kinda partial to rocky and desert like terrains ;)

Edited by SirSmokalot

ARMA2: Combined Operations is the full set of ARMA2 & ARMA2: Operation Arrowhead. Kind of like a boxed set of the games.

For those of you who already have ARMA2, you do not need to buy Combined Operations unless you find it for the same price. This might come in handy if you want an extra game disk or whatever.

I do believe i started OA correctly.

I used the new link created after install and at starting I see the splash screen Arma 2 OA. Also the user interface is brownish instead the standard greenish, so I do believe I am on the right config.

I didn t try the armory, i started only the very first tutorial, which is totally the same of Arma2 and then I started the new Campaign and i didn t recognise any extreme difference in terrain or graphic. I played only 10 mins and then had to go to work, so maybe it s just to early to say.

I will definetely check better later when I go back home :)

Thanks Yankee!

Crash problem I just noticed, and not sure if this is due to windowed mode or not; I crashed when trying to remapp controls for aircraft! First time I crashed trying to remap and then second got further, but then it still crashed.

I'm also not sure if this is just because of the hardware as I'm not using my home "gaming" machine for this. I'm using a Dell precision T5400 with a nVidia Quadro FX3700 1GB card. Not exactly a gaming spec machine as the vid cards process graphics a bit differently then consumer (gaming) cards. They are more for 3D and CAD rendering and not built so much for "real time rendering" like in games.

So I'm not sure if these crashes will reproduce on gaming systems, but I thought I'd inform you guys about my findings so far!

But I'm digging the landscapes on the 3 maps though!!

Tonight I might be at home where I can start testing some addons!

Will be swinging by Gamestop after work today to pick this up. Looking forward to making new maps, addons, and the like for urban combat.

Where you at Kalxen?! :)

Lurkin'.. Honestly, working 70 hour weeks right now - brain is fried. Might be in London sometime soon, or Singapore.. dunno. :P

At my going rate of burnout, I'll be dead by end of summer and you can have it. lol

BTW: Its $11,000 for my flight to Singapore alone.. *ugh*

Better have some really good in flight entertainment for that much...... (free mile high with every ticket?)

Delta, go to Fry's if you have one near you. No one down here in So Cal had it except Fry's Electronics, I called everyone. I went 40 miles to City of Industry to get it, they only had 2 copies of OA and 6 copies of Combined Operations.

On another note, I havent dug through the forums yet to see if anyone has mentioned it but you need the upgraded patch 1.52 to play on any server, because the game only brings you up to 1.50. This applies only if you have a hard copy, I guess the steem version brings it up to 1.52 already.

Edited by JackSeven

Thx Jack, i didn t know there was a patch out already !

However, digging a bit more, now i am finding the SP OA maps, oriented on smal urban combat, interesting, but.. hoonestly i m not jumping up and down.

Nice weapons and textures, still... something is missing... can t say what...

Maybe I was expecting more. AI behaviour looks nice anyway, quite reactive (I am talking about enemy AI, didn t have a chance really to evaluate friendly AI)

EDIT:

I just noticed my version is 1.52.71612 out of the box... do you think i need any patch ?

Edited by Batwing