Spartans Home

BFBC2 (Changing your FOV) Field of View

Think the FOV (Field of View) is wrong for your monitor, then change it......

original article link

http://badcompanytwo.com/news-tidbits/bc2-...-of-view-guide/

also copied here for reference

BC2 Field Of View Guide

By

admin

Published: 03/03/2010

DICE has added the ability to change the Field of View in the Retail copy via editing the Config.ini file in you ?My Documents? folder. We?ve made this guide the help better explain how Battlefield Bad Company 2?s Field of View works.

First off, your probably used to traditional FOV (Field of View) in games like Team Fortress 2. Bad Company 2?s Field of View is a little different. Let me explain. Bad Company 2?s default FoV is designed for console use aka ?The 10 Foot Hud?.

The FOV setting in settings.ini is vertical instead of horizontal. That?s why 90-100 degree FOVs look so fish-eye compared to most games. However, changing vertical FOV does proportionally change horizontal FOV.

To determine what sort of Field of View would be appropriate for your particular screen resolution, use this Calculator to determine what value you should set your settings.ini file to.

FOV CALC: http://rjdown.co.uk/projects/bfbc2/fovcalculator.php

**For example, to get a 90 degree FOV I want for my 1920×1200 setup, I set it to 65 in settings.ini

User posted image

IPB Image

Good info.

The above is an understatement--this is AWESOME info! I'll play around with it a bit, although I have to say that I've not experienced any problems with the default FOV for 1080p.

My only concern is whether or not PunkBuster will see anything other than the default FOV as a cheat. Based upon this info, I would hope not, since the game doesn't give the "fish-eye lens" effect that leads to impossibly wide (and distorted) displays, which can be like having eyes in the back of your head.

By the way, if you ever need info like this for any game out there--including how to make many games without widescreen support play in widescreen--check out: widescreengaming.net.

Now I have to look at the config files to see if I can configure certain keybindings to my extra mouse buttons. I have a Logitech G5, but BC2 won't let me assign any functions to buttons 4 and 5, at least not from within-game.

** EDIT ** I also noticed the "DXversion=auto" setting, gonna have to play with that, too!

Edited by Fatal_Papercut~SPARTA~

I wonder if those people who would play almost exclusively as the recon sniper will set this as low as they can stand it to give a better zoom effect. and those who play assault will make it super high so they can see everything around them.

Will have to play with this and try it.

• 4 weeks later...
What FOV (horizontal) are u guys using?

If I read this link right, a typical human FOV sees about 100deg?

I've turned it up to about 95 at 1600x900. Initially it looked like a good balance for awareness and minimal distortion, but my lack of skill combined with really tiny bad guys makes it a crap-shoot. I'm going to turn it back further tonight.

From Wiki:

The normal human visual field extends to approximately 60 degrees nasally (toward the nose, or inward) in each eye, to 100 degrees temporally (away from the nose, or outwards), and approximately 60 degrees above and 75 below the horizontal meridian.[citation needed] In the United Kingdom, the minimum field requirement for driving is 60 degrees either side of the vertical meridian, and 20 degrees above and below horizontal. The macula corresponds to the central 13 degrees of the visual field; the fovea to the central 3 degrees.

From Wiki:

Right, I saw that wiki. Upon closer reading and reference with the wife/nurse, it doesn't answer what I think we're getting at.

So-think of it this way, our eyes are powerful headlights with a fixed beam width per light. One light covers x angle, but two lights at a given width cover x+x angle, minus the overlap. What's the total angle then? That's what I wanted to figuer oot.

It really doesn't matter what the eye sees in reality as we are all looking at a flat 2D panel.

If it makes your anticipation of the representation better then change it......

I like 100-120.... that's around value 76

but everyone to their own, , if we wanted or could have real view then I want around 160 degrees.... :)

I do agree the about 100 degs makes it quite real, without pushing a sort of hack.

However, the way Fov is implemented in this game is very smart and may avoid an abuse of it.

If you notice, the FOV applies a sort of zoom-in / zoom-out to your view, giving you more of the surrounding area. This involve that objects in front of u get smaller.

So, you want to have more lateral awareness, you need to trade frontal focusing, translated in possibly more difficulty to hit something att long range because it becomes really small (without scopes).

I think this is a very smart and realistic trade-ooff to handle the FOVV adjustment.

If you are very accurate with tour aiming/mouse, having an high FOV will not be a problem, if you have minor accuracy and you need to clearely see your target, probably you have to adjust your FOV depending on your real needs in gamme, better than a real human FOV.

... God, I finally set up my desk after the moving, mayybe ow I will have some time to come online and try this game !! lol..

See ya :)

They have a mod for BFBC2 on fileplanet that will allow you to change your settings in game called Battlefield: Bad Company 2 - Gossamer's BC2 Config Launcher.

Nice Mod.

Doc

Does it play nice with PB? I fear the wrath of "Punkbuster kicked player 'Ebden' (for 2 minutes) ... MD5 Tool Mismatch"!