Spartans Home

Firing Range

custard~SPARTA~

We could do with a range for ppl to setup range cards for the GMJ site mod and practice with weapons. Not just the sniper rifles but for assault rifles and even grenades,SMAW,M203 and Mortars. Positions for up to 4 players 2 practicing and 2 spotting even put in a vehicle to get to spotting for mortars etc.

I tried with the two ranges posted about on these forums (this thread http://www.legionofspartans.com/forums/ind...showtopic=4914) and either the weapons were not available or the targets were not suitable. Zeno did offer to alter his range to fix the targets so I can get a range card for the M4 RCO but I thought I'd ask if someone with the skills would make a range to practice all the weapons we use on a TacDom night :D

For the first time I fired up the editor and my head just exploded, total wast of time me even going there :o

We could do with a range for ppl to setup range cards for the GMJ site mod and practice with weapons. Not just the sniper rifles but for assault rifles and even grenades,SMAW,M203 and Mortars. Positions for up to 4 players 2 practicing and 2 spotting even put in a vehicle to get to spotting for mortars etc.

I'd be keen to learn not just the ranges, but the effective splash ranges of some of the explosive thrown or launched weapons. A single drop-dummy doesn't cut it for that. Any other way to monitor an M203 or grenade fired into a mass of AI and measure the relative injury?

I tried with the two ranges posted about on these forums (this thread http://www.legionofspartans.com/forums/ind...showtopic=4914) and either the weapons were not available or the targets were not suitable. Zeno did offer to alter his range to fix the targets so I can get a range card for the M4 RCO but I thought I'd ask if someone with the skills would make a range to practice all the weapons we use on a TacDom night :D

For the first time I fired up the editor and my head just exploded, total wast of time me even going there :o

I will try not to get offended

I have so far created 4 firing lanes with 5 popup targets each at 50m intervals

Lane 1 300-500m

Lane 2 800-1000m

Lane 3 1300-1500m

Lane 4 1800-2000m

Each firing post is in a tower (you can shoot from the prone position

All weapons and ammo are available at each firing post

I will add another for moving human targets and one more for armour, these will respawn. I will also sort out the boxes so there will only be one ammo box with everything in it.

Here is what I have done so far

http://www.legionofsparta.net/downloads/Ga...e.Chernarus.rar

Cheers

Z

Here is a great firing range that I have used in Arma2. Kronzky's Moving Range

Credit to Dai-San for first bringing it to my attention on the forums.

There are some very nice features with this range. You can have an AI that walks, which allows you to practice the amount of lead you need for a moving target.

There is also a "bullet cam" mode. With this option, after you fire, the camera will take the path of the bullet. You are able to get a better visualization on the trajectory of the bullet and make adjustments.

You will also get a report on how much damage was inflicted with each bullet hit. This will help with regards to how the range of the target effects the damage caused by different weapon systems.

The documentation is not the best I have to admit. You have to utilize the radio commands, '0' on your keyboard (not the numpad zero), to access the different features.

I have not yet tried your range yet Zeno, so I can not give a comparison.

Buzz.

Kronzkys is neat as you can move around then realign the range in front of you. You increase the range from 100m in 50m increments.

My effort is not as sophisticated, its more like a static firing range. Kronzkys can be a bit of a fiddle to shoot at longer ranges but it is one of the best available for arma 2. Not as good as the range we used in arma 1 though.

Zeno I meant you have enough to keep you busy :P without this, like you say the range we used in Arma was better than anything we have in ArmaII and that was just for rifles.

Ebdon's point about splash damage would be useful.

I have continued to work on my Shooting Range

As before there a four firing posts

Lane 1 300-500m

Lane 2 800-1000m

Lane 3 1300-1500m

Lane 4 1800-2000m

The longer distance part of each lane is seperated by a barrier

Each firing post has one ammo box with everything in it.

There are Tow, M240 and Mk19 humvees at the first 2 posts

Targets

There are 6 armoured targets to the left of the shooting lanes, 3 side view and 3 front view (500m from post 1)

There is a squad of infantry (without ammunition) to the right of the firing lanes (500m from post 1)

The infantry disperse when shots are fired.

Infantry and Armour respawn after 30seconds in their original spot.

Todo

Teleport to and from each firing post.

Stop infantry from reacting to fire.

Just putting some input out there...

The standard small arms firing range has targets at 50m, 100m, 200m, and 300m

I think the Marines and a few newer Army ranges extend theirs out to 400m for use with Aimpoints. Shooting anything beyond 400m, even with scopes, was worse than not shooting, because the soldier spent too much ammo firing at something he most likely couldn't hit in the first place. (Something a lot of gamers here could heed)

Pistol ranges are 25m

Grenade ranges are small courses where you hide behind bunkers and throw into various targets. (over wire, into trenches, into small "pill boxes")

M249/M240 - Not sure of the exact ranges for popups, but I know it's zeroed for 700m, and maximum effective range is 1,000m. I think I remember firing at 100m, 200m, 400m, 600m. Never went to 1k, though that's a good range for the 50cal.

M203/AT4 range was just an open field with a few rusted old cars here and there. Can't remember off the top of my head, but I believe the distances were 200-300m

You've been to plenty of ranges, Zeno, so this may compare/conrast with your experiences. The most important thing was putting up a pole with a white top between each lane. This seperated the lanes, but wasn't too visible. It served as an extra training aide to "WATCH YOUR LANE!" and helped when making an assault so soldiers wouldn't stray into their buddy's lane of fire, or fired on their target, missing their own.

The only outdoor "shooting" I have done was archery, all firearms have been on indoor ranges. Thanks for the input Durka, I will cake further corrections.

Actually I need to rethink the firing positions as their are large gaps in the ranges, doh!

I will modify it.

Lane 1

Position 1 300m - 500m (elevated)

Position 2 50m - 250m

Lane 2

Position 1 800m - 1000m (elevated)

Position 2 550m - 750m

Lane 3

Position 1 1300m - 1500m (elevated)

Position 2 1050m - 1250m

Lane 4

Position 1 1550m - 1800m (elevated) (extra popup needed)

To do

sort out teleport

Add indoor pistol and sub machine gun range with partially obscured targets

add grenade range (will see what targets I can use for this).

I will add flagpoles at both ends of each firing lane

Can you put a raised platform (like the wooden guard post) for spotter to view grenade landing? I know this is not realistic lol.

For the grende range and 50m targets, there's a popup called "targets - Large" or something like that that looks closest to reality.

Question: I know that the"pop-up" targets come up after a scond or two on the range. Is it possible for them to be calibrated to stay down until they come up randomly? Obviously, there should'nt be a ton of work involved, but just wondering.

And is this planned for multipayer? I'm saying this, because, if we make this range, we can put it on the tacdom server, along with some of the other training maps (land nav, future releases) for use during the week?

For the grende range and 50m targets, there's a popup called "targets - Large" or something like that that looks closest to reality.

Question: I know that the"pop-up" targets come up after a scond or two on the range. Is it possible for them to be calibrated to stay down until they come up randomly? Obviously, there should'nt be a ton of work involved, but just wondering.

And is this planned for multipayer? I'm saying this, because, if we make this range, we can put it on the tacdom server, along with some of the other training maps (land nav, future releases) for use during the week?

An aircraft bombing range would be kind of useful (even if we dont use them on tac-dom). Could practice LGB team coordination?

Zeno, I forgot to mention, that a night firing range would also be useful. I've got the script to skip the time to night via radio command, but it might be useful to just give it to whoever's logged into admin.

Basically, it would consist of the exact same ranges, just have a stationary flare some somewhere midway down the range and to the side. If you need any help, let me know.

I will sort the ranges out as a first step

It was meant to be for multiplayer but the longer ranges are fogged out for some reason. I was using 10,000 m view distance but 2000m didnt work. It does work in single player. I will look into this bug.

I will find the large popup target for the grenade range (TargetEpopup is the man red silhouette). I can add an observation tower to the grenade range.

Once I have made all the basic corrections we can see about random target popup ranges and night switch with a flare.

I will sort the ranges out as a first step

It was meant to be for multiplayer but the longer ranges are fogged out for some reason. I was using 10,000 m view distance but 2000m didnt work. It does work in single player. I will look into this bug.

I will find the large popup target for the grenade range (TargetEpopup is the man red silhouette). I can add an observation tower to the grenade range.

Once I have made all the basic corrections we can see about random target popup ranges and night switch with a flare.

Copy, you should be able to find the big popup right below the red ones in the Unit/empty/targets/ list.

As for view distance, I ran into the same problem earlier. I'm wondering if it's possible to port the view distance settings script from Dom? That might solve your problem.

Thanks I had no idea where the targets were, I found targetEpopup somewhere, put soldiers on the map in the target positions then edited the mission.sqm file to replace rifleman with targetEpopup. I know how to do things the hard way, lol.

I tried the grenade range with the big and small target but no matter how far you throw the nade all the targets drop. I need a section of respawning infantry for the nades, that DONT move.

I tried the secondary shooting position but dont like it plus its is unrealistic to have one firing post behind another even in a different lane.

So there will be a sniper range with 2 lanes,

one for the KSVK and M107 around 850m - 1500m

one for all sniper rifles and HMGs 300m - 800m

the second range will have everything else

Assault rifle and LMG range 4 firing lanes with targets at ranges of 50m - 300m

Indoor pistol and SMG range

Grenade range

Armour range

Thanks I had no idea where the targets were, I found targetEpopup somewhere, put soldiers on the map in the target positions then edited the mission.sqm file to replace rifleman with targetEpopup. I know how to do things the hard way, lol.

I tried the grenade range with the big and small target but no matter how far you throw the nade all the targets drop. I need a section of respawning infantry for the nades, that DONT move.

There is a command to turn a units AI off, essentially stopping them doing anything. I cant remember what it is, but OFPEC.COM should be able to help you out.

Found the script thanks.

Ok I have had a rethink of the whole range and redone the layout, Its a work in progress (the indoor range hasnt been done yet for example) but here is what I have so far.

3 shooting positions for long range shooting 300m to 1500m (shared AI targets that do not move)

1 1 AT range

1 grenade range with AI targets that do not move

1 rifle range with randomly placed popup targets out to about 250m

1 hangar for indoor range, to be developed I'll try to do a CQB with popups or maybe AI that can shoot back but dont move.

to do

I need to add the PKP to the ammo box

I need to add spotters

I am sure there will be more

http://www.legionofsparta.net/downloads/Ga...2.Chernarus.rar

I do need feedback if this is to be used as a training tool, otherwise I can just go it alone for single player practice.

I need help with the view distance in multiplayer, I have the setting to 10,000m but the target beyond 1200 are fogged out. This doesnt happen in single player. Anyone know the solution to this.

Zeno, one of two solutions might or might not help. Is the weather in the editor set at it's absolute clearest? Also, like I said earlier, that script to increase the view distance might be the best bet.

As for spotters, of course they'd only need binoculars or a laser range finder, and typically carry a modified M4 for close range support, but for a firing range all they'd need is the glass.

LOL durka someone here will know the solution, so that I dont have to dig too much.

I have just added a first attempt at an indoor range/assault course. Its like a maze in a hangar with enemies that will be able to shoot back but not move (for now they have no ammo).

I will put it up on the download site soon.

Looks good mate.

I would prefer popup targets all the way out to 1800M for setting up range cards, some of the concrete structures looked like they needed the bottom third under ground or removing the wierd looking bits of ground a third the way up them.

In single player the second AI target out when shot twice didn't respawn but I haven't reloaded the mission and tried it again it may just have been me.

Do you mean the big bag barriers seperating the firing positions. I will make another one with popups for the sniper range.

Yes mate, the big barriers look wrong thanks.