Spartans Home

Faulty Power Supply?

While talking to T1 earlier, my computer seemed to shut down. The screen went blank and came up like I had unplugged it. All the lights for USB devices went down, but the computer was still runnijng, at least the fans and mobo light. I turned it off. Turned it back on, and it didn't "beep" like before. Nothing came up. I then disconnected all hard drives except the bootable one, disconnected the dvdrom, and cut power to the video card. Same thing. I have a 700w OCZ power supply, and here's my system...

Intel quad core 9550

GeForce GTX 275 with 1979gb mem (approx)

Asus P5Q Pro Turbo mobo

3 hard drives,

one seagate 250gb (boot drive)

one seagate 500gb

one western digital 1tb "green" drive

The only thing I've changed in the past few days was to plug that Logitech g35 headset. Could this be a Power supply problem? (It's less than 6mo old) Think I have enough? Or did the power supply just go down? It's enough to run the lights and fans on the mobo. Or do you guys think something completely different is going on?

Ya know Im not a teckie but if the cpu is not seated all will start up but nothing after that...also HD could do the same I suppose but if it did then it would bring up the bios screen that says do you want to start in safe mode and all that crap.

Anyway just turn off and Reseat everything you can that is removeable and push down on the cpu fan to see if it came

loose (cpu fan clip...ok not correct wording but you know what I mean).

Seems like I had the same problem with my computer. It was the power supply. Hopefully your HD's didn't fry, when my PS went out it took the HD's with it. Hell one of my fans still doesn't work. My system would turn on at times, but not fully, only parts of it (most of the time it didn't turn on at all) . Replacing the Power Supply solved the problem, but my computer was still screwed up. Although this problem happened not even a week after I installed a second video card, so the events leading up to the problem are a little different.

I'll note that the power supply I was using was 850 watts and was SLI rated, I was only running SLI with two 8800gts's so power really shouldn't have been a problem.

Could be the same issue or it could be a different issue, but in short from what you're describing it sounds like the same problem.

There's a little green light on the mobo that says power is running to it, or that's what I'm guessing it is. the fans are running. oh wait, cpu fan clip? where's that? all fans are running.

Yeah, exactly the same with mine. I'm almost certain it's the power supply buddy.

Edited by DeltaSierra~SPARTA~

Ok, I'll try to re-seat everything, then if all is still bad, I guess I'll replace my 6 month old power supply. *sigh*

I guess my next question is, if I DO have to replace my power supply, should I stick with the 700w, or go higher?

Durka's gonna have an expensive Christmas...

What is the required power for this card it might need MOre Power Scottie ..GeForce GTX 275 with 1979gb mem (approx)

thats what it sounds like to me well i found it for ya

Minimum System Power Requirement (W) 550 W

Maximum Graphics Card Power (W) 219 W

http://www.nvidia.com/object/product_geforce_gtx_275_us.html <<<<Klingoons<<< :lol:

sounds like more Power Bud Scottie is working with every cylender at max Capt....it looks like the klingoons need atleast

700% more power

Edited by GySgt~SPARTA~

Just Ordered a new 850 PSU. Hopefully this won't crap out on me. I probably won't be around for the next couple of days. I don't understand why a PSU going out would fry a hard drive, but I know I won't get much sleep over that tonight. I have 5 years of my artwork on one of my hard drives, and can't even begin to wonder what would happen if I couldn't recover them. That being said, even if a hard drive fails, I could probably still get the information stored on the disks by taking it to a specialty place, right? Right?

Here's a power supply calculator that I found. Turns out my system, without the USBs connected, was using around 695w of my 700w PSU. Sigh.

check with this calcu : extreme power supply calculator.it's much more specified.

i dont think you need 850W,it's also depend on the psu (it can say 850 but actually provide only 800)

i'm using dual gpu's (ati 4870) 7 fans(high cfm over 80), fan controller ,i got logitech x3d connected all tiime .

i'm using corsair 750w tx,and i'm very happy.

Just Ordered a new 850 PSU. Hopefully this won't crap out on me. I probably won't be around for the next couple of days. I don't understand why a PSU going out would fry a hard drive, but I know I won't get much sleep over that tonight. I have 5 years of my artwork on one of my hard drives, and can't even begin to wonder what would happen if I couldn't recover them. That being said, even if a hard drive fails, I could probably still get the information stored on the disks by taking it to a specialty place, right? Right?

Here's a power supply calculator that I found. Turns out my system, without the USBs connected, was using around 695w of my 700w PSU. Sigh.

Sorry to scare you, but it definitely wasn't working after I had a new PS put in it. :P.

Hi Durka,

in meanwhile you are wwaiting for the new PSU to come, if you feel the inspiration, you could test your 700w on your wife PC and see if it starts.

To make this test, you don t even need to connect all the stuff in your wife pc, you should just connect the PSU to the MB and to the videocard (if needed). Do not connect to the HD either.

If the PC boots up, you will see a message on screen like "no OS drive found", which is ok, because you did not connected the HD at all.. However, in this way you can test that the PSU is working because is powering up and booting the other pc.

Theoretically speaking, if your 700 w is fried, it should not be able to power up your wife pc at all, if it does it (nad i hope not) it may mean something else is wrong on your MB.

You could also try your wife PSU to power up your pc, if is trong enough for a bare start up. however you cannot CUT the power from the Nvidia in your system because that would result in a VGA failure and probably no screen or maybe not even POST.

Remebr, to test a pure boot up, u don t even need to have the HD connected. Only MB and video card, if necessary.