Spartans Home

This could save a lot of troops lives

EMT~SPARTA~

This could save a lot of troops lives

lol, which is why we'll never see it used! It's pretty amazing what our contractors are able to come up with. Does it fire a laser down or how does it destroy the warhead? Whatever it is, it definately beats those funky cages that wrap around the Strykers.

explained a bit more here. it fires some kind of explosive downwards and chops the rocket in half :) the countermeasure is a secret so they dont say specifically.

Edited by PANiC

It works the same way that "CHUMBOM" armor works. It explodes defeating the rpg. Unless there is a tandom war head in the missle.

I believe you are refering to "Chobham Armor". I know that the M1 series tank and Challenger 1 and Challenger 2 Tanks have this Armor. I strongly suspect that the IDF Merkava MkIV and the German Leopard 2A5 also have it though there is no documentation saying there is.

In the demonstration seen in the video this would be classified as either as an active armor system or more accureatly a countermeasure system.

Just for referance I will outline the differant types of armor packaged into 2 main catigories.

1. Passive Armor - this stuff has been around for ages and come in many forms. Basicly it is some some type of metal or metals used to protect the crew from incoming rounds. The idea is to stop or deflect the incoming projectile. You can read more here.

2. Reactive Armor - Basicly it is 2 armed plates with an explosive compound inside. This works to deform and/or deflect the incoming round. There are serious drawbacks to this type of round when operating near friendly troops. This type of armor is a "bolt on" solution in many cause and is used with passive armor. You can read more about it here.

Cheers