Spartans Home

Windows 7

Here is my issue, there are three PC's at home:- mine, my son's and my daughter's

I run XP Pro, my daughter has Vista and my son goes between vista and Win7 RC.

I have seen a three user licence - the family pack at £129, but it is an upgrade, not a full pack - does this mean if I was to undertake a clean install I have to put the old operating system on, before I can then use the Win7 upgrade. This is a ball-ache but not a problem as I do have legit copies of all software.

Is there a family pack of the full programme? Or am I, as I suspect, going to have to cough for three seperate OEM packs?

Advice from this great community appreciated

I think if you buy the retail version it is good for only one PC

OEM versions of operating systems are licensed for only one PC. so... your going to need 3 of them.

You can buy a volume license... but that is really expensive I think.

I would suggest Windows 7 PRO or Ultimate.

Pro/ultimate give you bitlocker and virtual xp unless either are vital get home premium.

I thought all European Win 7 versions are full versions and NONE are upgrades (nomatter what box says) they have to be clean installs. This is cos they are shipped without IE you get a choice of browser.

Partition your drive before instal and instal 7 in new partition you then get a choice of OS at power on.

PC world have the 3xhome pre for £129

You were raeding my mind Custard, I thought I would buy a new drive to install. For the life of me to install a new OS and to have to buy at the top end - to get backward compatibility, has got to be bananas - but maybe it's just me.

Checked the compatibilty site from MS - they don't list ARMA or OFP - either as compatible or not - marvelous.

I like a rant before parting with my hard earned - can you tell LOL

My previous experience of windows upgrades is that you can do a full clean install, but will be asked to insert the original OS disks or activation key during install. Looks like things have changed. The comments have more details of people's experiences.

I don't know whats going on with EU releases. My retail Win7 HP installed IE8 automatically. I pre-ordered 2 copies from Tescos for 50 quid ea. and they arrived citylink on release day posted from MS distribution in Ireland.

Looks and runs very nicely on a netbook with 2gig RAM.

My free upgrade Vista to 7 for my main PC has been posted so I hope I can wipe this HD and clean install :)

PS if it runs on Vista it will probably run on 7. I read of people even using XP drivers on 7 to get back functionality of special function keys on netbooks. The XP mode in Ultimate/Pro seems particularly for old business apps that people don't want to/can't upgrade.

Edited by rtr~SPARTA~

Installed Win 7 home premium and it auto installed ie8, so likewise no idea what's going on with that.

I did a clean install ( or so I thought) as I was upgrading from XP Pro. It ran as expected, asking me to pick the drive to install on etc but once loaded I couldn't get over how little disc space I had left. When I checked my HD I discovered a directory called Windows.old. Turns out that it keeps a copy of your entire system regardless of the clean install, so I had 196GB of old OS and all my programs and files.