Spartans Home

Training and Practice Tomorrow

Durka-Durka~SPARTA~

The Friday TAC-DOm is a good place to start.

Playing as a team on the regular Dom server is the best way to start. No offense to newbies at all, but the time spent trying to teach one how to play tactically the way we do is unbearable on Fridays. A good suggestion is to work in small groups on the side mission channel.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Playing as a team on the regular Dom server is the best way to start. No offense to newbies at all, but the time spent trying to teach one how to play tactically the way we do is unbearable on Fridays. A good suggestion is to work in small groups on the side mission channel.

Durka, I fully understand. I am definitely a newbie at ARMA. I'm currently going through all of the Single Player basic training modules. I've completed the first three more than once and have yet to pass flight training. I've attempted a few times but need more practice. I'm also watching tutorials on YouTube.

Actually I was a 95B who reclassed to Signal before I left the service. But you're right, those are signal flags I'm flying. And you're right again... the coordinates appear the same on the map. It's just that I'm trying to figure out how to interact with the map, compass, and watch in the game interface.

Yankee, thank for the offer man. I will definitely take you up on that. I may be in this Friday. You guys were very decent in ts. It's nice to run into some normal sounding people instead of a bunch of young punks who don't understand that they don't rule the world.

Actually, meeting your group has added more incentive to learn the game better.

Great that you are willing to learn the game.

Most Dom (domination) games are played with a fair amount of team play and control, even though the coms may be quiet. Ask which team status you should be in, usually "Delta", and you will see the other players. Also, change the status so that you can view players by name...and increase your view distance to 4000 at least.

So, get equipped, set your view distance, join the right team, and you are set at the start.

After that, make sure you are on TS, very hard to work unless you can communicate with others.

Listen to others. Many people on this server are current or former military (or know the tactics) so listen to them and stay 'fairly' close. (I say 'fairly' because bunching up is bad, lol.)

Have fun and I look forward to playing with you. Just listen to the "regular" players (you will sense them) and enjoy yourself.

P.S. No flying or driving for fun, that is very tactical and is regulated. Once you are good at it, through offline practice, you may be able to do it on the server, just an FYI.

Some food for thought:

1. In regular domination (Everyday except Fridays) you can load two weapons into your backpack. First, loadout your first weapon by walking up to an ammo crate and choosing "gear." Once you're finished with that, scroll back through your options and choose the one that says move your current weapon to back. Once that is done, go back and choose gear and you'll have a clear backpack! Don't forget to save your gear layout!

2. When parachuting never wait until the last minute to bring up the option to open chute.

3. If you die near someone you'll be forced to wait awhile before you can respawn or get revived.

4. Lag happens. period.

5. If you die, dont yell on ts to get revived. We see you, we're trying to eliminate what killed you.

6. It only takes one bullet to die. Seriously, theres no health bar. We don't frown on tree huggers here.

7. Last note, you'll probably be confused on the small details of the game for awhile. Just be patient and ask. If no one immediately answers, just wait a few minutes and ask again.

...and increase your view distance to 4000 at least.

IMO this is an unecessary drain on resources. If you are using the SPARTA mod pack, it includes the proper view distance tweaks which make 2km view distancequite playable for anything your ground pounding heart desires. The only time I'd want more is when you're in the air and your wing is non-rotory.

Not knowing anything about the person in question's PC specs, I'd err on the side of caution. For me going from 2km to 4km view distance cuts my frames in half without heavy OC'ing . YMMV

M is for Map

Ctl + M is for MiniCommand Map - so you can see the players within about 30 metres of you.

K pressed twice rapidly is Compass - check your map to work out the direction you want to head and then use your compass. Download the Digital Compass is even better actually.

See you tomorrow PD.

All good pointers. I really appreciate you guys taking the time to respond. I was down and out for a couple of days. (this weather is killing me) I like that you guys are a more mature group. I'm 43 myself. I look forward to gaming with you all. I've got a couple of other friends who are purchasing the game based on my input so far. One of my gaming friends bought the game for himself and another one of my buddies just because he was a little hesitant.

BTW, I own BlackShark DCS also. I was surprised to see that game mentioned in your forums. But first things first, I'd like to continue learning ARMA 2. LOL

I have a few minutes tonight to take you on a magical tour of the domination server...hop in vent.

Hey Yankee, sorry I missed you man. I'm actually bailing for the night. I'll definitely catch up with you soon. I've made it a point to remember your name so I'll know who you are when I jump in. You, Durka, SARMedic, Halli and Lighspeed also. Forgive me if I've left anyone out.

we have a list of people that are allowed to fly so that we can maintain the "kiddies" flying choppers into buildings and eachother. If you want to get on this list, make sure you follow our rules and be in TS. When you think you're ready to fly a bunch of people around (If you crash they will scream and kick) head over to the thread titled something like "flying on the Main server" and post your gamer profile id for ARMA.