Spartans Home

Training and Practice Tomorrow

Durka-Durka~SPARTA~

Tomorrow, (tuesday) I'll be online from about 2-5pm EST doing some training on a few subjects. I haven't gotten anything set in stone yet, but I figured we'd so some practice-type drills so we can get better on working/moving as a team, then those guys can work with others who didn't make it to help them out.

Sorry to those guys who are in the US and can't get on early. I'll try to get on later in the evening (after 8pm EST), but during that time there are no guarantees. Craziness abounds when the general gets home.

I'll be on the passworded Domination server. Any pre-questions, post them here.

EDIT: I meant to put on here that this isn't anything formal, so you can wear jeans to the battlefield if you want. Beers are on me.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was good practice and very cool to see in action. Takes some getting used to, but we did pretty good. Also made me realize that when one person in the formation is confused/running around/not where they should be and you are supposed to index off them it is tough for you and everyone behind you. Also noticed a few people running diagonally which makes moving in formation tough too.

Thanks for the lesson! Can't wait to use this in game.

Great job Durka, when's part 2?

Just a couple of thoughts here:

Especially with the AI in A2 and OF:DR... if you are thinking about flanking, so is the enemy, but the enemy has already started doing it.

A line is formed so you can protect the ground behind you and to not let anyone through. Fill in the gaps as soon as possible or you will be flanked through the middle.

Retreating is always an option. We dont call it retreating, we call it 'falling back.' Regroup and attack on your terms.

Edited by Medic~SPARTA~

Not sure when part 2 is, as I was hoping that the ones who went through training yesterday would teach those who didn't get a chance to go through it, "Train the trainer" eh? :)

"Falling back" can be a very useful strategy, and it actually works in Arma2. If you attack on one side of a hill, then fall back to the reverse slope a few hundred yards, get the enemy to follow you over the crest, they will be blind and in the face of your prepared defenses. Same concept was used during the Battle of Cowpens in the Revolutionary War. I've tried it in Arma2 and they do follow you over.

Anytime you guys want to work on that again, let me know and I'll set it up. We'll probably do another one next week, or possibly on Thursday before TAC DOM Friday.

• 2 weeks later...
Flanking and use of Smoke would be good, and a "quick" review of the movement and formation stuff we did last time.

I was thinking the same thing. Yesterday I thought I was using smoke until I realized (as a dead guy) that I ran right through it.

From what I've been seen on TAC nights one of the biggest

Problems we have are how to advance a target after we've been compromised and needs crossing open terrain.

Should we use:

1. Advance in pairs

2. Covering formation advance (left provide covering fire while right advance and the opp).

3. Line formation individual advance.

And much more.

Idan,

Yeah, we've touched on this in our last practice, and now that those people who participated had some basic training in theory, it'd be nice to practice it some more.

We used a basic squad wedge formation, modified just a little to adapt to the game. This wedge was split up as "A" group and "B" group. When advancing, the A group would cover B as they moved, or vise versa.

Basic Formation

IPB Image

Moving up on firing line

IPB Image

One group covering the advance of the other

IPB Image

Idan,

Yeah, we've touched on this in our last practice, and now that those people who participated had some basic training in theory, it'd be nice to practice it some more.

We used a basic squad wedge formation, modified just a little to adapt to the game. This wedge was split up as "A" group and "B" group. When advancing, the A group would cover B as they moved, or vise versa.

Basic Formation

IPB Image

Moving up on firing line

IPB Image

One group covering the advance of the other

IPB Image

looks great ,was missing last practice