Spartans Home

Colt AR-15

Zeno~SPARTA~

X-wind, to be honest that M1 carbine I shot my dad traded for a garand when I was oohh 16. It has been some time since I shot that rife, though I do remember it being .223 I know I sat on that press long enough to reload all the rounds I went through. It could have been a barrel change, or a just a replica sized to a .233 though my thumb would aagree the it was accuate enough. (I learned a few times why the M1 was called the thumb smasher)

As far as realoading goes I was luck in that my dad taught me and was passed down some of his older equipment so I have pieced it back together over the years. I personally have always used RCBS, dies, presses and primers(but again mostly hand downs). Though more these days I only reload of small game rounds. If I am going out to plink with some friends or I hunt Alaska big game then I usually buy since I don't like to load rounds that hot.

Looks like X has you pretty well set up, if you have any other questions I would be happy to help.

Well the m1/m2/m3 carbine was .30cal and the m1 garand was 30-06. never seen any of those rechambered into 223. I have seen them in 7.62 nato. The m1 carbine bullet/mag size is to small and the m1 garand was to big. so it had to be 30cal carbine round. You might be thinking of a mini 14. Try lyman you may never go back to rcbs. I went Lyman becouse of the reloading bible they make. And the national macth carbie die sets they make, nouthing compairs. Medic old buddy, A complete Lyman set up goes for about $414 for a good kitt.

http://www.lymanproducts.com/lyman/presses-and-kits/

But to each his own, we used to reload becouse of how much we shot every weekend. For a typical weekend I would load up 200-400 m1 carbine, 200 45 acp, 200 9mm, 100 30-06 100 8mm 100 30-30. all week long, and what ever store bought stuff as well. We did that every weekend for about 10 years, weather permitting, so we fired a few rounds.

Edited by Athlon64~SPARTA~

• 4 weeks later...
I'm currently trying to find a shooting range near Richmond, VA that rents out AR-15s and other rifles. If anyone knows of one, let me know. I've asked around, but no luck yet.

I know of a few good ranges near Harrisonburg and Staunton but none of them rent out ARs or rifles for that matter. If you ever get up my may lemme know, we'll do beers.

• 3 weeks later...

Oh no an AR thread, I have the black rifle syndrome myself along with an ammo collection fetish. I have always been into shooting but mostly handguns however once I fired an AR that was it. Bought a plain-jane 16" Bushmaster and watched it morph into one sweet rifle.

User posted image

User posted image

Gota throw the Glock in the mix

User posted image

Just picked up one of Leupold's new AR series scopes, 3-9 x 40mm with a BDC dial for my primary load.

User posted image

I am waiting on a couple Larue quick release mounts for it and my red dot, should be here this week along with a tac light.

IPB Image

IPB Image

Saw the new Ar Beowolf in .50 cal, its a modded upper that has some real stopping power. and anouther one in 7.62 sniper semi auto version, with a quick change suppressior, now were getting some where, forget the name of it. they are after market mfgers. Looks to me they are doing some good stuff with this stoner design.

Anyone ever fire a GSG-5? There are no outdoor ranges within an hours driving distance of me (so I wouldn't get to fire my AR-15 very often should I buy one) and someone told me the GSGs can at least be fired at indoor ranges. This same person sold their AR-15 because he never got to shoot it. Though if I had known him when he sold it I probably would have bought it. It only fires .22LRs and I've never really been a fan of the MP5 look but at least I'd be able to fire it at the local indoor gun range.

Edited by MH6

Anyone ever fire a GSG-5? There are no outdoor ranges within an hours driving distance of me (so I wouldn't get to fire my AR-15 very often should I buy one) and someone told me the GSGs can at least be fired at indoor ranges. This same person sold their AR-15 because he never got to shoot it. Though if I had known him when he sold it I probably would have bought it. It only fires .22LRs and I've never really been a fan of the MP5 look but at least I'd be able to fire it at the local indoor gun range.

Never fired one, but have seen and fondled them at local gun shows. You can fire the GSG-5 at indoor ranges, since it's pistol caliber. Most indoor ranges aren't set up for the high velocities of rifle cartridges, but a few are. My FN FiveseveN, even though it's a pistol, can't be fired at indoor ranges, since it shoots the same round as the P90. That round reaches velocities upwards of 2100fps, even out of the pistol. So that's a def no no for indoor ranges. And you won't regret buying an AR-15, even if you don't get to shoot it a whole lot. I haven't shot my M4 in like, 6 months, and I will never part with it.