Spartans Home

GTS 250 = Good Buy?

At that price, get two and run them in SLI.

I wish I had gotten a second 9800GTX+ 1Gb when it was still available. Now I will have to upgrade to do SLI.

Edited by Medic~SPARTA~

Can someone let me know if this is a good buy or not? I've currently got a GeForce 8800 GTS. Thanks!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16814130468

It is still just 512 mem and with the newer games coming out I would go a bit higher on Vid Ram I know you have a budget but after you get this you will be saying DAMIT Dave Why did you not get more Vid Ram.

Oh yeah It is the basicly the same as the 8800GTS 512.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16814130370

Good lord, you'all think I'm made out of money, lol! :lol:

Seriously, though. I saw it on Newegg and, for the price, it looks like a great card over my 8800GTS 312mb. I'm just trying to figure out if it really is or not. Halli, are you saying the card I was looking at is basically the same as the 8800GTS? What would you reccomend under $150, or preferably under $130.

I'm not sure the more FPS you will get from that card over your current card anyway Durka

lol, that's what sucks! I don't know the difference, only that it's apparently a different number and newer model. All these numbers confuse the hell outta me!

tHIS ONE IS $154.99 AFTER REBATE

Halli, it says DDR3somethingorother. Does that mean I need a DDR3 motherboard to run it?

Naw that's the mem on the vid card, I have a GTS 512 (g92) and now the only thing I will look at upgrading will be a card with higher memory and Memory Interface.

I am Not tech savy but I do know that you must have that Mem interface above 256 and higher Stream Processors

bottom line go for the better card and offset the diff by getting a Dual core like that 3.16 intel the E8500.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16819115036

Halli's right in saying that you should be looking at cards with 1GB or so of memory at the moment. Since the price of 512MB and 1GB are so close, its worth it to get something with more memory. Games are becoming more demanding in terms of memory, so its better to be prepared if thats an option.

In the $130-$150 range, you're looking at an ATI 4850 or an NVIDIA GTS 250. The NVIDIA is based on the same core as Medic's card (G92b), so its based on older tech, but there are a few improvements under the hood that let it keep up with newer cards. The 4850 and 250 run pretty much on par, with my favourite review site putting the 250 to the top ever so slightly.

That being said, if you want to forgo the recommendation for more video memory, the ATI 4770 is by far the best card you can get. For less then 100 dollars, you'll get a fantastic card that is on par with the above two. Its the first core to be made on a 40nm process, so it draws less power if thats a concern and will also overclock a ton if you need that extra bit of performance. This would probably be my choice if you can get your hands on one, because they are pretty hard to come by due to popularity.

In the $175 category, you have the GTX 260 Core 216 and the 4870. Not going to go into these much, but my preference would go to the 4870 from ATI.

Above $200, the best option in performance per dollar is the 4890, which is ATI's latest offering. This card truly is a monster for its price.

If you want some more help doing a bit of research, let me know and I'll be happy to help you look.

Edited by Punisher~SPARTA~

Cool info. I just decided to forgo the video card at the moment, and may wait until the next big job comes in. I chose instead to go with a quad-core and board so I can have better performance with other programs as well. Keep the suggestions coming though!

Damn Newegg, I forgot they have a distribution center in Memphis and had to pay an extra 9.25% in sales tax. ugh

Can someone let me know if this is a good buy or not? I've currently got a GeForce 8800 GTS. Thanks!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16814130468

New games like OFP2 will have 3 memory settings, low/med/high

low 256+ MB

Med 512+ MB

high is 768+ MB

suggest you look for 512MB min, next cards are going 2048MB

DIRT2 another newbie title in SEPT: is a 256MB+ again...

I agree with Halli, 260 GTX or higher or ATI equiv~

I'd personally stay away from SLI too, games like ARMA2 are displaying problems with SLI, some don't take advantage of it either.

I use a 9800GTX2 which is now discontinued but it's one card with 2x 9800 GTX inside, one slot. 2x512MB or 1GB total.

remember this:

User posted image

Well, I will have to say something for Newegg. They have fast shipping! It helps being in Tennessee, even though I have to pay 9.25% sales tax. I just got the confirmation for my purchase of my new CPU and Mobo today. I casually looked at the tracking number, not expecting it for the next couple of days, and it said it's out for delivery in Knoxville already!

Well I got it, and the mobo didn't fit my case, so I had to run out and get another case at some computer shop. Got it installed, and it wouldn't POST. I worked on it and worked on it and called the tech support. He said I didn't have enough power for the board, and said I needed at LEAST 600w PSU! So, needless to say, I had to order a 700w power source last night and it should be here on Friday. Not a bad deal, after rebate it was $69 with free 1-day shipping. I hope I 700w will be enough, my gosh.

I would go with a 850 watt pwr supply.

Personally I am getting the Corsair 850TX You cant have too much power supply; and you might need more a year down the road.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16817139009

I think the best vid card out there for the money is the ati 4870 1 gig, or the 4890 1 gig.

Although there have been a few exceptions, ati has been as fast or faster than nvidia for significantly less money.

If you look at cases where they were slower or faster, it is insignificant and most of us would never detect it without using artificial benchmarking programs.

• 1 month later...

Yeah, I'm just trying to figure out if I should spend $160 on a track ir system or $250 on a new video card. If I can get that freetrack thing to work, I might just upgrade my vid card, or just wait until the new, uber-expensive-non-affordable cards come out in a few weeks. :) Thanks for the info.