Spartans Home

ArmA II Reccommended Specs

Durka-Durka~SPARTA~

Alright, I'm thinking of getting the new ArmA II game as soon as it comes out, but I'm trying to figure out how much more money I'm going to have to spend to just upgrade my computer to play. What would your suggestions be, and remember I'm on a budget and gaming isn't as high on my priority list as it used to be, unfortunately. Here are my specs....

Intel Pentium D dual core Revolution Series 3.00ghz

Ram: 3gb

Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS

Things seemed to run a little choppy at times in ARMA I, but it may be due to something else, as I think I have a decent system, I dunno. I really like the look of this game, and I'd love to play it without going broke lol.

Any of the 8 series cards are good, my bottleneck (I had a 88oo GTX) was still my CPU a C2D E6600.

I would get the best dual core or quad core CPU you can afford but that may need a new mobo as well.

I probably won't be getting ArmA II when it released, partly due to the time I'll have to play it (limited) and the fact that I'm still running a single core 2.8Mhz processor.

I can't justify buying another PC at this time, and would be looking to buy, possibly near the "Optimal" requirements for ArmA II. I've been running ArmA on what I regard as a below spec PC, and at times it infuriates me, as some of the missions are obviously written with a machine far more powerful than mine.

I'll be interested in what response you get Durka as it will help me in the long(er) run too.

I don't think alot will be getting it, it's another staggered piece of shit...

GERMANY first with content cut late MAY

EUROPE After in JUNE

USA to be confirmed (JULY-AUG)

typical crap, German version then English version then an American version... for fcuks sake.

PC yours looks all right.

(TrackIR) ARMA2 Demo was running Quad 2.66Ghz & 8800GTX 2GB mem

p.s. NEWS GROUPS... ;)

Ahh, I have the 8800 GTS, with 512 mem. Are video cards able to expand on memory?

Holy crap, quad cores! lol. I know this sounds like a completely stupid question, but if I came into some money one day, would I be able to replace my mother board without screwing up the rest of the computer?

EDIT: And, if I were to one day change my motherboard out, say to a quad-core, would I be able to keep my old two processors and only have to buy two more and a motherboard? I know, I know, stupid question, but I really don't know lol

If you go to a quad core board, you will have to change cpu as well. Unless you go to a AMD board like a AM2/AM2+ can run a duel core or a quad core cpu. AM3 will be quad core only. AM3 takes the ddr3 ram as well. Am2+ runs ddr2

This will fire them up, AMD has caught intell, and fixing to pass them up again.

Edited by Athlon64~SPARTA~

Durka If your socket is a 775 then I would would just get a dual core.

check this price out http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16819115036

Post your Mobo specs.

Where do I go about finding my mobo specs? I'm looking in Device manager at the moment...

EDIT: I have two processors: Intel Pentium D CPU 3.00GHz

If you know the mobo model it's easier to goto the manufacturers website Durka.

Alright, found it:

It's a dual core, not core 2 duo if that makes a diff.

Motherboard: Intel Desktop Board D945GTP

BIOS Vers: NT94510J.86A.3869.2006.0519.1533

BIOS Date: 5/19/2006

Processor: Intel Pentium D CPU 3.00GHz

Processor Speed: 3GHz

Bus Speed: 800MHz

L1 Cache: Data Cache 16kb, Execution Trace Cache 12k Micro-ops

L2 Cache: Advanced Transfer Cache 2048 KB

System: Windows XP Pro

S Pack: 3

Physical Memory: 3072mb

Memory Speed: 667 MHz (1.5 ns)

Memory Type: DDR2, Synchronous

Video Card: GeForce 8800 GTS

Driver Vers: 181.22

Core Clock: 513 MHz

Shader Clock: 1188 MHz

Memory Clock: 792 MHz (1584 MHz Data Rate)

Memory Interface: 320-bit

Memory: 320 MB

Video BIOS Vers: 60.80.18.00.01

IRQ: 16

Bus: PCI Express x16

Much of this is useless information, but I figured someone may find something usefull in there. Lemme know if you need anything else.

The intel sites CPU compatablity page was last updated in Jan 2007 and I can't find a bios update that may allow an upgrade to C2D so I don't know what to say now. A C2D will fit in the socket but I don't know it will work, sorry mate.

It says here

ArmA 2 is latest military simulation game for PC DVD-ROM and next generation consoles from Bohemia Interactive.

ArmA 2 is set in the near future, in a fictional post soviet country called Chernarus. Players will be sent as members of a United States Marine Corps Force Recon squad to this country to prevent further civilian casualties and ensure ongoing stability there.

ArmA 2 is based on the latest generation technology, offering large–scale game world, authentic and extremely detailed modern units, weapons, vehicles and environments, challenging single player and vast array of multiplayer options.

ArmA 2 is Game 2.

Projected Minimal PC System Requirements

* Dual Core CPU

* 1 GB RAM

* GPU with Shader Model 3 and 256 MB RAM

* Windows XP or Windows Vista

* Dual-layer compatible DVD drive, 10 GB free space on the hard drive

Projected Optimal PC System Requirements

* Quad Core CPU

* 2 GB RAM

* Fast GPU (8800GT level) with Shader Model 3 and 512 or more MB RAM

* Windows XP or Windows Vista

http://www.arma2.com/

Edited by Athlon64~SPARTA~

Wow, nice, I will be able to play ArmA2 even if my new computer doesnt come through for some reason.

EB Games updated its release for OFP2 to May 27th btw... no idea if that is publisher driven or just a date they picked but Ive pre-ordered through EB for it...:)

I don't think alot will be getting it, it's another staggered piece of shit...

GERMANY first with content cut late MAY

EUROPE After in JUNE

USA to be confirmed (JULY-AUG)

typical crap, German version then English version then an American version... for fcuks sake.

PC yours looks all right.

(TrackIR) ARMA2 Demo was running Quad 2.66Ghz & 8800GTX 2GB mem

p.s. NEWS GROUPS... ;)

Dissapointed by this I will wait for the English version and maybe even not until the US version is out

I might have a couple of hundred quid stashed aside by June. Anyway the decision may have been made for me, my drives started playing up last night (honest guv) so I'm going to copy all the files I need to an external hard disk, then format them and re-install XP.

T1 clone the drive and stick it on the backup much quicker, stick the backup on one of these Seagate 750Gb for £75 (or less).

The problem is that all three of my drives have a XP profiles on them. It's probably better in the long run to wipe everything and start from scratch.