Spartans Home

Seagate Barracuda 1.5 tb

Zeno~SPARTA~

I thought I might share my thoughts and experiences concerning this huge hard drive (ok there are 2 tb drives but this is still good value in terms of bytes per buck).

Firstly my gaming rigs are both based on the Asus Striker extreme mobo, it can be a bit fussy. This mobo uses the nvidia 680i chipset.

When I plugged in the new hdd I of course went to disk management to assign it a drive letter and format it. Quick format failed, a bad sign. But I did the full format. Hours later I noticed that the formatting seemed to be stuck at 73%, i couldnt cancel the format, so I rebooted and tried the format again overnight. The next morning the format was yet again stuck at 73%. I had bought 2 of these drives so at 6am I tried to format the other drive and wentback to bed. Hours later it was stuck at 73%, so I googled the problem and found it was an issue with the drivers of the nvidia chipset.

So I upgraded the drivers to the latest non beta but the disk still wouldnt quick format. Then I thought I would update the BIOS which was 1301 (I think) . The latest BIOS for my mobo is 1805. I tried to use a fat32 usb stick but the bios couldnt see it, so I burnt the little file onto a dvd and tried again. Success, the ezflash program in the bios did its work and started the pc. But as I have said elsewhere It was stuck at a blank screen, with a cpu init error showing on the little lcd at the back of the mobo. After some cursing and panicking followed by more cursing and brain melting, I switched out the OCZ high performance ram for some corsair ram ordinaire, still no luck. After still more swearing and panicking. I decided to buy another mobo, but as I looked into the case a shiny object caught my eye. It was the boards battery, so after disconnecting the power lead, I removed the battery. After a short time I put the battery back, and powered up again. Lo and verily it came to life, with only a few things missing (soundmax driver and it had gone back in time to 2008, a happier time for everyone)

I turned off the pc and put my OCZs back and she still worked. then I turned it off and added the barracuda drive but the quick format failed, bollocks.

Then I had a brainwave, I have a shuttle media pc, so I took my barracudas to it and after a lot of unscrewing unplugging rescrewing and replugging I booted it up and there was the drive, I did the quick format and it worked. I bought the formatted drives back to the main pc plugged them in and after assigning a drive letter it worked.

However the drive seemed to slow the whole boot process down and I got a couple of BSODs. So I had another idea. I would take the 750gb drive from the media pc and use it in the main pc and use the 1.5tb drive in the media pc where it appear to work without problem. I started to copy the films from my to storage drives but only copied one before the pc locked up. So now I will pu tthe drive in the media pc and copy films into from external drives.

So the upshot of the tale is the seagate barracuda 1.5 tb drive is not readily compatible with the 680i chipset in the striker extreme mobo.

I am also unhappy with the 1805 BIOS which is more unstable than the old 1301 which is no longer available. I will be asking RViiiiper if he has the BIOS then I will try to roll it back.

Hi Zeno, solar here, i hacked in under krambos account, i just thought i would make a post without any BS or swearing in it lol

Seagate do a little instalation programme for hard drives as long as you have one hard drive installed that is seagate you can use this programme

http://www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.jsp?loca...000dd04090aRCRD

This may resolve your problems

regards Solar

Hi Zeno, solar here, i hacked in under krambos account, i just thought i would make a post without any BS or swearing in it lol

Seagate do a little instalation programme for hard drives as long as you have one hard drive installed that is seagate you can use this programme

http://www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.jsp?loca...000dd04090aRCRD

This may resolve your problems

regards Solar

so Solar & Krambo how your date going IPB Image

Zeno you should be able to go to the ASUS sight and download all the past bios for it. here is a link for all the bios and utilitys

http://support.asus.com/download/download....SLanguage=en-us

Then on the upper right side select you model and series of mo-bo and you will find 55 files for downloading. I tryed to put up the page, but it won't let me. Try it you will like it!

Edited by Athlon64~SPARTA~

i have the same issue with my Seagate 1.5 and i have a P5NE-SLI Mobo. I can run the format all the way through but in the end it tells me it can not format drive, so now have to figure out what the hell to do with this and now just put in the spare 400 gb drive i have.

i have the same issue with my Seagate 1.5 and i have a P5NE-SLI Mobo. I can run the format all the way through but in the end it tells me it can not format drive, so now have to figure out what the hell to do with this and now just put in the spare 400 gb drive i have.

Check on Seagate website, there are new firmware updates for tsome of the newer drives which may resolve these issues.

If it's a firmware issue it may be nothing to do with our mobos?

That's correct. One of the issues that it should resolve is exactly what you have experienced.

I did not have that issue, but I updated my 500gig drive and all went smooth. There has been a lot of press about these drives recently, but the new firmware seems to be solving the issues.

If it's a firmware issue it may be nothing to do with our mobos?

it is not a mobo issue, this issue is with the harddrives not working with certain chip sets, at least that is what i was told. this was a huge problem because people were returning these at a high rate, quess that is why the priced dropped so quick, lol...

I'll let you guys try, I am not buggering around with my main rig anymore, its too scary getting an init failure on this motherboard. I am very happy with those 1.5 tb drives in my intel based shuttles, its where I should have put them in the first place, would have saved a lot of worry and typing.

• 3 weeks later...

Well it was a no go on the fix that they said would, so I took the effer out and put in a spare 300 mb i had laying around. I am waiting on the new i7 series to come down in price and then i will upgrade and use the spare parts to try and get another rig up and running, gotta few friends here i need to get hooked on the on line gaming.

I thought I read that the Striker Extreme could not use a 285 Nvidia card or do we have anyone using the newer cards

on this motherboard?

Had a big debate with X-Wind, and he is right,

The full potential of the 285 can not be used on the Striker as it's bandwidth is below that of the 285 but it should run no problems. Cobol & I both run 9800GX2 on the Striker Extremes with the same problem but they work only the top 5% of bandwidth may bottle......

9800GX2 is a SLI config in ONE SLOT hence the major bandwidth hog on the pre PCI 2.0 std slot that the board has.

One word.... R.A.M.P.A.G.E. II eXtreme ! price extreme features......