Spartans Home

Generation Kill

Seven

Since this is basically a Character Study Docudrama, if your getting involved with the Soldiers being portrayed in this, here's a LINK if you want to read snips from of the book. Each link from this article is a segment from the book detailing the Soldiers we are watching fresh off the presses at the time, check the date stamp. Thought I would share it since it was a good read without breaking into the book. Plus we got a week till Episode 6 lol.

Edited by Seven

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am having trouble believing a marine captain can be so incompetent, but the show is good.

Talk to Durka, he had some bad experiences.

I don't know if anyone else did. But it wouldn't surprise me.

Remember that some of those officers are National Guard. Some might lose a bit of that "sharp battle awareness" that drives their orders.

This is not a slam on the National Guard, it is a statement of fact that we all know as;

"If you don't use it, eventually you lose it."

I also know of a few situations involving local National Guard Officers being very lax in their regular operations.

We all know that can do nothing but make it worse.

All I can say is "wow". I just hope that those that saw #7 last night heard what was said during the credits. This series truly showed why those currently enlisted, and those who have served prior, call each other brother. There is no stronger bond then family.

I just finished watching episode 7 a fine series, very accurate on many aspects!!! Kind of Ironic but, totally coincidental to me as an American and a veteran that as this series was airing the final episode, 60 minutes airs an interview with Staff Sgt. Frank Wuterich a Marine Sargent who is charged with murder in Iraq The Killings in Haditha

While I will never know if the Tomahawks that were launched from my Ship killed any innocent people,(We all experienced the adrenalin rush and then the crash) It was something that I thought about and still do today, . this is in no way comparable to what ground forces experience I do not pretend to even fathom what they go through. But to charge our military personnel with murder in this type of "War" is to me, screwed up! If you have just seen one of your buddies blown to bits and just escaped with your life intact I think I can understand the anger and confusion that could lead to that type of out come and need to retaliate. That is the problem our forces have in that there is no clear/visible uniform to identify whether one is a civilian or soldier. Situations have to be addressed on a case by case basis.

Enough droning on about that, just made me think about it was all. I felt the need to share with someone else and to see if it is shared by like minded individuals.

I think I will read the book that this series was based upon, as usually movies do not do the books justice!!! I want to see what other perspectives Evan Wright had. A good show none the less.

Edited by kiltor2

I think I will read the book that this series was based upon, as usually movies do not do the books justice!!! I want to see what other perspectives Evan Wright had. A good show none the less.

I think most share the same sediment's kiltor2. I thought Id share that Nate Fick wrote a book that's said to be used in OCS training regarding making "field decisions". I have not read it yet, but from what Ive been told by those who have, its outstanding! It might be something to add to your list since Gen Kill book followed the series so well.

One Bullet Away

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EDIT: On a lighter note:

Over at our teamspeak tonight we started to have a discussion about all the classic quotes that came from this show that spilled over into our forums. I just copied and pasted what I wrote there below, but curious which ones stuck out in your minds the most. Although Colbert had some pure classics like: "All religions aside, those who cannot kill, will always be subjects to those who can." and the "Finely tuned Ferrari's in a Demolition Derby", we stuck with Pearson since he was pretty much a smart a$$ like myself at times :)

Lots of priceless quotes, show was filled with em.

"Yeah,..pretty much liberated around here",

"Least my Mom took me to NASCAR",

"Shoot the driver, stop the car",

"Should of rolled into combat with a sword Brad, that would of rocked",

"Hey be careful of the one on the right...you don't want to get that thing angry",

"...he wants to be a ballerina???!",

"That was cool, who do we invade next?",

and the classic speech about the Marines being "America's pit bull". Even Trombley was busting me up with his mumbling in the background. "Shakespeare wrote that?" and "Your Dad was a Truck Driver?"

The list was huge. "MORE LIKE TROMBLEY??!" lol

I laughed so many times during this show, but nothing made me crack up as loud as I did in #7 when I saw "Serpentine!"

Too classic :worshippy:

"Hey kid...nice jacket"

Edited by Seven

• 2 weeks later...
sayz members only... need an invitation...

You need access to the news groups,

Then simply do a search for these, or you can use this nzb-file to get you started

generation.kill.s01e01

generation.kill.s01e02

generation.kill.s01e03

generation.kill.s01e04

generation.kill.s01e05

generation.kill.s01e06

generation.kill.s01e07

• 1 year later...