Spartans Home

Generation Kill

Seven

Gentlemen, I had to share this. This is a 7 part mini series that covers the first 5 weeks of the invasion of Iraq in 2003. I wont go into too much detail about it unless you ask. But think Band of Brothers, modern day. Some history about it HERE. This book was written by a "embedded" reporter that just so happened to be assigned to a Hummer that was in the Spearhead of the invasion. Wrote it afterward, which now turned into this mini-series, link below. Highly recommend it. All about the man next to you.

Generation Kill

If you have HBO and havent seen it, I thought I would mention it since its only episode 3 out of 7. If your interested after seeing the trailers from the link above, ask Viiiper about it. :thumbsup: I will say they stayed so true to delivering the experience, the military language used is on the money. So if you dont know what "Oscar Mike" or a "Whiskey Tango" is, I put a tiny list of some terms below. Hope it helps. :United_States:

"Hadji" - General term used to describe people native to the Middle Eastern Countries, India, and Egypt. (Johnny Quest)

"SOP" - Standard Operating Procedures

"SA" - Situational Awareness

"AO" - Area of Operations.

"PUC" - Person Under Custody ie: "Got Two PUC's from that village." (Two people in custody)

"Mikes" - Minutes ie: "Were forty mikes out" (40 minutes away.)

"Mike-Mike" - Milimeters ie: "Went off like a forty mike-mike" (like a 40mm gun)

"POG" - Persons other then Grunts

"Tango Uniform" - Tits Up, which is a nice way to say not optimal conditions lol

"Oscar Mike" - On the Move.

"Casper" - Slang for that someone who always disappears when there's work to be done.

"Geardo" - Term for the officer who has the latest/greatest gear on his uni, even though he doesn't know how to use it.

"Goat Rope" - a useless, futile, or foolish activity. Basically a waste of time ordered by higher authority.

"Whiskey Tango" - Slang for calling a soldier White Trash.

"Danger Close" - Explained very well in the show ;)

"Battle Rattle" - Slang for Combat Gear. So Full Battle Rattle would be a soldier fully loaded.

Let me know what you think Gents.

EDIT: Glad you enjoyed it Viiiper (Camel Killer lol) #4 This Sunday. Oh Rudy Reyes, the "beautiful" one who wanted to move to San Francisco because theres no fat people there lol, he plays himself. Guess they hired him as a adviser on the series since he was there, but they couldnt seem to cast him proper. So they asked him to play himself instead. Was Recon few years before 03 and did two tours there. Dudes the real deal.

Edited by Seven

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Watched 3 episodes.

I am having trouble believing a marine captain can be so incompetent, bu the show is good.

One thing it highlights for me is that it embarasses me to play at being a soldier, its ok for you guy who have been in the military, but I would feel a twat using military speak. I guess I could just not speak very much.

I am having trouble believing a marine captain can be so incompetent, bu the show is good.

Marine Corps wasn't too happy about the author reporting it either. But its how it really is sometimes. Remember that a portion of these officers came out of the Academy then rode desks or just ran training routines until they were called into action. Not as many with field experience and you see what happens. Anyway, look at the diff between the Lt and Capt "Encino Man". Ones squared away while the other.....well even Officers can "skate". Classic scene when he get's praised for almost killing his men lol, typical. "Captain America" cracked me up as well.

As far as the lingo, I understand. It does seem silly at first. But they beat it into your head so hard during bootcamp and training, by the time your assigned to First Recon, its almost second nature. By the way, I forgot to add:

"FNG" - F***ing New Guy lol.

Edited by Seven

LOl, great looking show mate.

As for the lingo it's almost like learning a different language Zeno, because you speak it all the time it replaces your native tongue, so much so that you still use parts of it in everyday conversation as if people know what the hell you are talking about when you leave the forces and it's not until you notice the blank stares looking back at you that you realise and have to translate it back into English etc so that you can make yourself understood..

Bloody "civvies" :lol:

I feel the same mate, some of the stuff just "pops" out when I see something or do something but generally I try to keep things simple so that everyone knows what the hell I mean.. :rolleyes:

Don't get me started on military Politics, I'm just glad that I managed to keep out of it on the whole.. :beatdeadhorse:

I understand what you're saying, its just that I would feel like a "fake" using that language. maybe I'll get over it after a few coop missions. The other thing that struck me was the "politics" of the military.

You wouldnt offend anyone and nor should you feel like a fake. It really is okay. Personally, and I am sure the rest of the Spartan vets would agree, it is no more role playing than actually playing the game. You would be simply extending the game to voice comms, but essentially be still playing the game.

"Fake" is a whole other ball game entirely.

I dont think you would have to really use Military lingo fully within ArmA. But at least now you can understand, and forgive me when it leaks out from my mug here when I play with you guys. Ive been saying Roger instead of yes for half my life now. I never use it with my woman or when I play GTR2 or Madden. But something in this sim brings close to home at times, close enough to click in the lingo. At our Tourney though, the US side does the whole role playing thing, to the extent it kinda scares me lol. Sometimes its hard for Vets to let go, so I understand. But if it does leak out again over com's, at least this may help get across what's being said. I dont think you guys would have to use all the lingo to communicate back. Like having to say: "I'm Oscar Mike to the head" to relay your afk to the bathroom lol....at least I hope not. :rolleyes:

Episode 4 "Combat Jack" (explained in the show...) was good. Hard hitting, but good. The preview for #5 looked insane. Cant wait!

Edited by Seven